SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
"Dallas to get the first Mandarin Oriental Hotel in the South "citykid

what about the one in miami, the most southern place in the US?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
sorry micropundit.......restated the same thing

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
The Mad Hatter!! said:
"Dallas to get the first Mandarin Oriental Hotel in the South "citykid

what about the one in miami, the most southern place in the US?
Florida is the most southern geographically speaking. But culturally, Florida is the least southern out of the south. :runaway:

·
Registered
25 Posts
triadcat said:
Florida is the most southern geographically speaking. But culturally, Florida is the least southern out of the south. :runaway:
The southern third of the state, yes. The rest of the state, however, is just as "southern" as the rest of the region, IMO.

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Their small thumbnail

Mandarin Oriental, Dallas will open in the city’s dynamic new Victory Park development, a USD 3 billion, 75-acre, mixed-use project located in the heart of Dallas. The hotel will occupy the first eleven floors of the new 43-storey, 650-foot Victory Tower, the architectural centerpiece of Victory Park and one of the tallest residential structures in the state of Texas. In addition to the 120-room hotel and 90 luxury residences, Victory Tower will also house 75,000 square feet of internationally-recognised luxury retail shopping and 275,000 square feet of premier commercial office space.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
GAtoCA said:
The southern third of the state, yes. The rest of the state, however, is just as "southern" as the rest of the region, IMO.
I'd say more like the bottom 2/3rds of the state isn't southern. Tampa/St.Petersburg and Orlando on down isn't very southern.

The panhandle is actually "deep southern"...almost like an extension of Jaw-Jah, but is really the only culturally southern part of the state.
And that is only the top 1/3 of the state. :)

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
triadcat said:
eh. the say the same shit about the state of Texas. Citykid probably didn't know there was one in Miami or he just simply forgot.

But this is very good for Dallas. The W will open next month and the Ritz will open next year with the Mandarin opening 3 years from now. I believe they have another luxury resort hotel opening in downtown in 2008.

·
Registered
289 Posts
TexasBoi said:
yeah, um, people say Dallas is ini the southwest, not the South. So it goes both ways.
I guess you could say that. However, the fact that the tv show Dallas could contain just about every characteristic of the modern South and cause no one to question it indicates that Dallas is Southern. Deep South? Definitely not, but it is Southern. I just wish you could get a damn glass of sweet tea in the city limits.

·
Expert
1,132 Posts
tennreb said:
I guess you could say that. However, the fact that the tv show Dallas could contain just about every characteristic of the modern South and cause no one to question it indicates that Dallas is Southern. Deep South? Definitely not, but it is Southern. I just wish you could get a damn glass of sweet tea in the city limits.
I thought I was the only one that asked for sweet tea! Apparently restaurants here in Dallas just dont have it and I'm not willing to pour a bunch of sugar packets into my tea.. too much work :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
^Too funny. That would also mean that someone in Dallas would have to admit they actually live in Texas!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts