Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dams seem to be flavour of the month. These days they are constantly referred to due to water restrictions and lack of rainfall.
Australia has some beauties.
there are basically 3 types of dams
BUTTRESS,
may be flat or curved, but one thing is certain: a series of supports, or buttresses, brace the dam on the downstream side. Most buttress dams are made of reinforced concrete.
EMBANKMENT,
are the most commonly built dams. They are massive dams made of earth and rock. Like gravity dams, embankment dams rely on their heavy weight to resist the force of the water. But embankment dams are also armed with a dense, waterproof core that prevents water from seeping through the structure. Tailings dams -- large structures that hold back mining waste -- are a type of embankment dam.
GRAVITY
are massive dams that resist the thrust of water entirely by their own weight. Most gravity dams, are expensive to build because they require so much concrete. Still, many people prefer its solid appearance to the thinner arch and buttress dams.

please post some pix of dams in your state!

Ive been to Sydneys great Warragamba and Nepean.

list of dams
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reservoirs_and_dams_in_Australia

the impressive 142m high Warragamba turns 50 next year

the Cataract dam is a great old dam, turns 100 this year!

the 140m Gorden dam in tasmania is quite a sight

Australias highest dam-the 180m Dartmouth Dam in nth/east VIC

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
Dams rock, I love dams, probably due to Goldeneye back in 1994 :p

That cataract dam looks like it's part of a castle, and Gorge Dam is awesome, who has some more pictures?

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
Damn good idea for a thread.

I took these of Heinze Dam in 2006, I have been meaning to do a Brisbane Dam photo trip for ages, but I'm waiting for some water to arrive.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Well done!

I won't post photos now because I'm pressed for time. Maroondah- part of Melbourne's water system- is a concrete arch dam and probably the prettiest damsite in Victoria. Some other contenders: Kirk's Reservoir at Ballarat, Daylesford and Jubillee Lakes at Daylesford, and Moora Moora Reservoir in the Victoria Valley in The Grampians (all gravity walls). Also Silvan, in the Dandenongs (Melbourne's water system again).

Perhaps we could also address the size (height and holding capacity) of dams ... and the reservoirs behind them. As a callow adolescent, I was an authority on these matters, but I'd prefer to check out more recent figures before I get too assertive.

Eildon on the Goulburn River (Murray Darling Basin) holds the most water in Victoria (or would if it was anything like full). Besides, in those days, water volumes were measured in "acre-feet", which was the amount of water held my an acre of land inundated to a depth of a foot.

An alternative unit of measurement was the "Sydney Harbour". From recollection, I recall that Lake Eucumbene (in the Snowy System) was rated as 9 Sydney Harbours. I don't know what the capacity of Sydney Harbour is (except in Sydney Harbour Units), or how to convert a Sydney Harbour to acre-feet or cubic metres, but that's what happens when dams and rainfall gets shoved aside as your main topic of conversation.

I think Dartmouth on the Mitta Mitta is higher (built after my callow adolescence) ... so-named becaused the River Dart empties into the Mitta Mitta there (which empties into the Murray).

Given current climatic scenarios, perhaps we could also identify the emptiest dams on our wide brown land (and the Apple Isle to the south :) !)

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
^excellent yardmaster, your full of suprises.""sydney harbour capacity"-ive heard that measurement but not sure how its measured.
aussie buoy, great dam. i like how its half bridge/half dam. really cool design.
MORE IMAGES

Scrivenor dam, Canberra

Woronora Dam

SYDNEY'S WARRAGAMBA DAM IS NOW AT 50% CAPACITY up from lowest store just a year ago at 30%.
at 137m its as high as Sydney Harbour Bridge!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Damn good idea for a thread.

I took these of Heinze Dam in 2006, I have been meaning to do a Brisbane Dam photo trip for ages, but I'm waiting for some water to arrive.
^^ Sorry gappa, the joke was already made more subtly and with a substantial post! :lol:

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
news from today is that all dam levels are now over 50% cap. thats up 10% from just a few weeks ago and highest levels since 2003.
gov are now considering removing water restrictions.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
news from today is that all dam levels are now over 50% cap. thats up 10% from just a few weeks ago and highest levels since 2003.
gov are now considering removing water restrictions.
That's fantastic news! But for all we know it might not rain as much next month on.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Last I heard, Eppalock, on the Campaspe River (runs into the Murray at Echuca) was at 1%. I don't know if this has improved.

Melbourne's water reserves expanded last week for the first time in eighteen months: but only from 28.4% to 28.5%.

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
in todays paper, the minister mentions that most dams (In sydney) are over 50% cap now, but lev2 restrictions will stay in place. maybe if theres more rain it will up to lev3 restrictions.

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^lev3 means less restrictions. the table goes up, thus lev1 is most severe restrictions and lev5 is nearly all removed.

·
dink!
2,126 Posts
I was surprised to learn there are actually some dams at full capacity:

Storage - Capacity (ML) - Level
Avon - 146,700 - 65.8%
Blue Mountains - 2,790 - 100.0%
Cataract - 94,300 - 76.7%
Cordeaux - 93,640 - 61.4%
Fitzroy Falls - 10,000 - 100.0%
Nepean - 69,810 - 100.0%
Woronora - 71,790 - 50.6%
Prospect Reservoir - 8,870 - 81.1%
Tallowa - 35,300 - 100.0%
Warragamba - 2,027,000 - 43.5%
Wingecarribee - 24,100 - 85.6%

Sydney Catchment - 2,584,300 - 50.0%

I think it'd be foolish to lift restrictions. We've had 1 lucky break in how many years? The government is right to hold restrictions as they are until dams are at least 70% I reckon. Not until the drought is proven to be over, and we get regular downpours should they change things.

And awesome thread. I was only looking last night at pictures of dams on google. Does anyone know the name of or have pics of that big dam up near Kunnanurra in WA? I have some memory of driving across it years ago...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Some QLD Dams from Google Earth

All of these dams are from 20Km eye alt. except Burdekin was too big so taken at 52km.

North Pine Dam - Brisbane

Somerset Dam - Brisbane

Wivenhoe Dam - Brisbane

Hinze Dam - Gold Coast

Ewen Maddock Dam - Sunshine Coast

Awoonga Dam - Gladstone

Kinchant Dam - Mackay

A Dam south of Bowen

Burdekin Falls Dam - Bowen/Airlie

Tinnaroo Dam - Cairns

1 - 20 of 51 Posts