Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
January 19, 2018
Seoul Metro to support Da Nang urban rail project

Seoul Metro, the operator of metro lines 1-8 in the Korean capital, has signed an agreement to support the construction and operation of an urban rail line in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang.

Under the agreement, Seoul Metro will work together with municipal authorities in Da Nang city on construction of the new railway, development of transport systems, and establishing plans for operation and maintenance of the line.

In addition to the signing, representatives of Seoul Metro held meetings with staff from Da Nang’s transport, planning and investment, and construction departments. In order to move forward with the project, both parties will carry out a joint site investigation and hold a review meeting for Da Nang’s overall public transport plan.

In 2015 Seoul Metro supported Ho Chi Minh City in the selection of preferred alignments for metro lines. In 2017 the operator carried out a feasibility study Ho Chi Minh City Line 4 and acted as consultant for an operations and maintenance plan.
Quite exciting news! Of course, it's all up in the air at the moment, but as potentially Vietnam's 4th largest city, and 3rd city to have its own urban rail network, it's a promising idea. Personal experience using the Seoul metro system suggests that they're a wise partner in this venture.

Hopefully there's more news to follow!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^Yes; I remember reading that article and finding that the discrepancy in reception of the two systems (overall very positive for the Korean/Japanese system and quite negative for the Chinese one) far exceeded my expectation. Nonetheless, I'm also glad to see that the Koreans will be able to export their excellent metro systems to Vietnam.

One wonders if Hai Phong--Vietnam's 3rd largest city--will eventually be included into a wide-area regional system with Hanoi. It seems like most East Asian capitals have this central city-port city setup: Japan has Tokyo-Yokohama, South Korea has Seoul and Incheon, China has Beijing and Tianjin, and even Taiwan has Taipei and Keelung.

I just love to see these regional dynamics at play!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
^^ There's already a railway between Hanoi and Hai Phong, but only four times a day
Indeed, I took this commuter train 10 years ago to get to Hai Phong from Hanoi. The line definitely needs an upgrade and t's not difficult to foresee the line being changes into a suburban line once Hanoi has a proper metro network in 10-15 years.

I can't take Danang potential building a metro too seriously given that HCM and Hanoi are both about a decade behind their original metro network schedule. So many delays......

Perhaps, in 20 years for Danang......let's see.

·
Registered
50,988 Posts
Danang seeks investment for $2 bln metro routes
The central city of Danang is seeking investors for two metro routes with an estimated investment of VND54.5 trillion ($2.37 billion).

The two metro lines that will connect downtown areas are among 57 major infrastructure projects that city authorities are calling for investment for the 2020-2025 period.

The city envisages both routes being built under the public-private partnership (PPP) investment form.

The east-west route would run from Nam O 1 residential area in Lien Chieu District through downtown areas to My Khe Beach in Son Tra District, while the south-north route will connect the Son Tra Tinh Vien nature reserve on Son Tra Peninsula, areas around the Danang Airport and the Khue Trung area in Cam Le District.

The city also called for investors to build an electric metro train project connecting with the neighboring Hoi An Town, a famous tourist hotspot in Quang Nam Province. This project carries an estimated value of VND7.49 trillion to VND14.99 trillion.

Danang, the urban hub of central Vietnam and a popular tourism hotspot, is considered the country's third most important city after Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.