SkyscraperCity banner

781 - 800 of 863 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Zanzibar is international ....JNIA terminal 3 will take even 10 years to reach its max(8.5mil) ....now we should Focus upgrading Mwanza to Int ...being closer to EAC ..and with improving fishing activites Cargo volume will increase ..it can be a minor hub for ATC in future
I think this assumption would be wrong. When designing and commissioning the construction of T3; ATC was a non-entity without any prospects for the future and the key business-case for JNIA was built on expanding to support other international airlines that were not able to come due to capacity issues. If we factor a functioning ATC (assuming the management even puts in the minimum effort); it would take a much shorter period to reach max capacity. Actually they should immediately start looking at expansion. Unless the govt. is planning to move ATC main hub to Dodoma; which would for sure kick-start the demise of Dar as the commercial capital especially if you consider the plan for Bagamoyo port which would definitely cannibalize Dar port given its proximity.

·
2,998 Posts
I think this assumption would be wrong. When designing and commissioning the construction of T3; ATC was a non-entity without any prospects for the future and the key business-case for JNIA was built on expanding to support other international airlines that were not able to come due to capacity issues. If we factor a functioning ATC (assuming the management even puts in the minimum effort); it would take a much shorter period to reach max capacity. Actually they should immediately start looking at expansion. Unless the govt. is planning to move ATC main hub to Dodoma; which would for sure kick-start the demise of Dar as the commercial capital especially if you consider the plan for Bagamoyo port which would definitely cannibalize Dar port given its proximity.
I have seen a YouTube video in which KADCO MD was requesting the GoT to make KIA the main hub for ATCL....^^

·
Mikausho Mikali
284 Posts
I have seen a YouTube video in which KADCO MD was requesting the GoT to make KIA the main hub for ATCL....^^
I support the idea from KADCO MD for Internationl flights:
1 - KIA has the biggest maintenance hangar(although i heard that there is nothing in there).the one in JNIA can only accomodate smaller and mid range aircrafts such as A320 and B737s.
2- 80% of tourists that come to Tanzania they come to see Ngorongoro crater and Serengeti National Park(unless TTB and responsible ministry do something to promote tourism in other areas ).It will ideal to have flight that originate from KIA(KIa-DAR-Bangkok-Guangzouh,KIa-DAR-LONDON,etc).

·
Registered
144 Posts
1 - KIA has the biggest maintenance hangar(although i heard that there is nothing in there).the one in JNIA can only accomodate smaller and mid range aircrafts such as A320 and B737s.
2- 80% of tourists that come to Tanzania they come to see Ngorongoro crater and Serengeti National Park(unless TTB and responsible ministry do something to promote tourism in other areas ).It will ideal to have flight that originate from KIA(KIa-DAR-Bangkok-Guangzouh,KIa-DAR-LONDON,etc).
We can actually have 2 hubs. But to make KIA a hub you need to expand the terminal... the current building cannot handle even 2 B 777..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Airline hubs or hub airports are used by one or more airlines to concentrate passenger traffic and flight operations at a given airport. They serve as transfer (or stop-over) points to get passengers to their final destination. It is part of the hub-and-spoke system. An airline operates flights from several non-hub (spoke) cities to the hub airport, and passengers traveling between spoke cities need to connect through the hub. This paradigm creates economies of scale that allow an airline to serve (via an intermediate connection) city-pairs that could otherwise not be economically served on a non-stop basis. This system contrasts with the point-to-point model, in which there are no hubs and nonstop flights are instead offered between spoke cities. Hub airports also serve origin and destination (O&D) traffic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love the design of terminal 2.
I think future expansion should first focus on renovating and modernising terminal 2 while keeping its architectural integrity intact.
They can make Terminal 2 exclusive for ATCL. I have seen it in other airports where a certain terminal is exclusive to the national carrier.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I love the design of terminal 2.
I think future expansion should first focus on renovating and modernising terminal 2 while keeping its architectural integrity intact.
They can make Terminal 2 exclusive for ATCL. I have seen it in other airports where a certain terminal is exclusive to the national carrier.
Unfortunately T2 cannot realistically survive in the long term. Generally many airports have dedicated terminals but in most cases share the concourse especially when the national airline does not command the strength to be totally independent (can survive with no codeshare). If we have complete separate dedicated terminals it would be a hassle for transit business from other airlines which will be vital for a fledgling airline such as ours. In this view T2 would have to go and we can have a new terminal and link it to a stretch of the new T3 concourse.

·
Maty
1,011 Posts
Airline hubs or hub airports are used by one or more airlines to concentrate passenger traffic and flight operations at a given airport. They serve as transfer (or stop-over) points to get passengers to their final destination. It is part of the hub-and-spoke system. An airline operates flights from several non-hub (spoke) cities to the hub airport, and passengers traveling between spoke cities need to connect through the hub. This paradigm creates economies of scale that allow an airline to serve (via an intermediate connection) city-pairs that could otherwise not be economically served on a non-stop basis. This system contrasts with the point-to-point model, in which there are no hubs and nonstop flights are instead offered between spoke cities. Hub airports also serve origin and destination (O&D) traffic.
I think Hub and Spoke System itakuwa nzuri kwa ATC ...ATC ihakikishe ina service nzur na price chini kidgo kuliko rwand.na Kq...inabid tushare customers wa SADC ..Miji kama Kinshasa,Lusaka ,Harare,Maputo, Lilongwe ..itumie JNiA kama Hub ku connect kwenda Asia na Europe ...Tz Geographical Postion inatufavor ATC wawe serious na plan na Kazi ..tutapata success

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately T2 cannot realistically survive in the long term. Generally many airports have dedicated terminals but in most cases share the concourse especially when the national airline does not command the strength to be totally independent (can survive with no codeshare). If we have complete separate dedicated terminals it would be a hassle for transit business from other airlines which will be vital for a fledgling airline such as ours. In this view T2 would have to go and we can have a new terminal and link it to a stretch of the new T3 concourse.
Terminal 2 for star-alliance/oneworld/skyteam airlines (whichever ATCL will chose to join)
Terminal 3 for all others
Terminal 1 for Domestic.
Besides, T2 and T3 can have a passenger transfer system (monorail or something for passengers in transit) linking them.
It would be a shame to see Terminal 2 waste away.

·
Serengeti
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #790 (Edited)

KIA hangar can fit in one 747 and two turbo props (Q400/ATR). Needs to be utilised to the max.

There is no doubt we have 3 major hubs in TZ. 1 is commercial 2 are tourist hubs. Last week I was in Zanzibar, I was amazed witnessing the amount of international landings. ET has A350 daily, Israir daily, etc. I noticed ATCL has started Entebbe-Znz flights since last week. Good start but ATCL still needs to strategically use these hubs.

·
Mikausho Mikali
284 Posts
I think Hub and Spoke System itakuwa nzuri kwa ATC ...ATC ihakikishe ina service nzur na price chini kidgo kuliko rwand.na Kq...inabid tushare customers wa SADC ..Miji kama Kinshasa,Lusaka ,Harare,Maputo, Lilongwe ..itumie JNiA kama Hub ku connect kwenda Asia na Europe ...Tz Geographical Postion inatufavor ATC wawe serious na plan na Kazi ..tutapata success
Another advantage for JNIA is its closeness to the sea so the air here is thinner which makes less fuel burning during take offs.

·
2,998 Posts

There is no doubt we have 3 major hubs in TZ. 1 is commercial 2 are tourist hubs. Last week I was in Zanzibar, I was amazed witnessing the amount of international landings. ET has A350 daily, Israir daily, etc. I noticed ATCL has started Entebbe-Znz flights since last week. Good start but ATCL still needs to strategically use these hubs.
KQ na serial ya KE wanahaha sasa hivi wakihofoa ushindani wanaotegemea kuanza kupata toka kwa ATCL, wanataka KQ wapewe JKIA ili waiendeshe kama hub yao, lakini kuna yatu wameshaona huo mchezo haujakaa sawa....:cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
mbona hujanijibu kuhusu hizo jet bridge ambazo ziko pair mbili cant they accomodate a380...maana hapo kuna nyingine single na nyingine mbili kwa moja au hizo zina umaana gan
Hello, hizo jet bridges ni international standards na zote unazoona hapo zina uwezo wa kuhudumia a380, zote! kwa nini? kwa sababu ni adjustable, hapo mbele kwenye tairi zake zinapanda na kushuka kufuatana na urefu wa ndege. Na vilevile a380 inaweza kutengwa sehemu nyingine kabisa kivyake bila jet bridge watu wakapelekwa kwa basi kisha kupanda ngazi za kawaida tu. Inafanywa hivyo viwanja vyote tu ambako airbus 380 inakwenda. Kwa nini? kwa sababu ya upana wa mabawa yake, ikiwekwa kati ya hizo jetbridges hapo, basi itabidi chain reaction jetbriges zote za jirani na a380 zisogezwe pembeni, ili ziweze kuhudumia ndege zingine salama, lakini nafasi kubwa inapotea na airports hazipendi kwa kuwa ndege zingine zitakuwa zinacheleweshwa kutua kwa sababu ya a380 moja au mbili, ndio maana kama ni kutumia jetbridges basi a380 inawekwa pembezoni kwenye bridges za mwisho au mwanzo. Tatizo la a380 kuja tanzania au nchi za kusini mwa dunia ni wateja tu! siyo viwanja kwa sana. hata ilipokuja kwa dharura bado iliweza kuhudumiwa, kwa hiyo kama wateja wangekuwepo ingekuja kama kawaida na kuhudumiwa either from the same spot as previously or wangetafuta sehemu muafaka. Nadhani imekusaidia

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello, hizo jet bridges ni international standards na zote unazoona hapo zina uwezo wa kuhudumia a380, zote! kwa nini? kwa sababu ni adjustable, hapo mbele kwenye tairi zake zinapanda na kushuka kufuatana na urefu wa ndege. Na vilevile a380 inaweza kutengwa sehemu nyingine kabisa kivyake bila jet bridge watu wakapelekwa kwa basi kisha kupanda ngazi za kawaida tu. Inafanywa hivyo viwanja vyote tu ambako airbus 380 inakwenda. Kwa nini? kwa sababu ya upana wa mabawa yake, ikiwekwa kati ya hizo jetbridges hapo, basi itabidi chain reaction jetbriges zote za jirani na a380 zisogezwe pembeni, ili ziweze kuhudumia ndege zingine salama, lakini nafasi kubwa inapotea na airports hazipendi kwa kuwa ndege zingine zitakuwa zinacheleweshwa kutua kwa sababu ya a380 moja au mbili, ndio maana kama ni kutumia jetbridges basi a380 inawekwa pembezoni kwenye bridges za mwisho au mwanzo. Tatizo la a380 kuja tanzania au nchi za kusini mwa dunia ni wateja tu! siyo viwanja kwa sana. hata ilipokuja kwa dharura bado iliweza kuhudumiwa, kwa hiyo kama wateja wangekuwepo ingekuja kama kawaida na kuhudumiwa either from the same spot as previously or wangetafuta sehemu muafaka. Nadhani imekusaidia
Thanks for this.

Also Airbus wame cancel production ya A380 na some airlines ambazo inazioperate zina plan ya kuachana nazo, they are beautiful big birds but they are also costful and inconvenient to many airports. For now Africa tu concentrate kwenye hizi B777s and A350s kwa long haul wide body.

Sioni umuhimu sana wa kujaribu ku accommodate A380 hapo T3, kama kuna airline inataka kuleta A380 (Emirates probably) instead ziwe na multiple flights.

781 - 800 of 863 Posts