SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
i've changed my mind
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had to wait 6 hours without qantas club transfering from an intern to a domestic flight cause they only open it 2 hours before qantas flights :SASFASDFASDF fuckers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
unfortunately Darwinians are held to ransom by Jetstar and our shocking terminal. If you want to fly on a low cost carrier then it's a redeye flight for you.

All the Jetstar flights from asia arrive from 2:30am onwards so the operating jet can be back on the east coast by sunrise ready for the days work.

If Silkair started operating SIN-DRW at a reasonable hour and we could make our connections in singapore.. they would clean up and shit all over fucking Jetstar.

It's also odd that Indonesia is just there... and the best we can do is Bali, Bali, Bali. bah!

Unless Darwin gets a SUPER major refurb you can keep dreaming Ian Kew.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Used the airport over the weekend - it is very basic and would benefit greatly from renovations and expansion.

My flight from Melbourne arrived in around 4:30am, while we departed on Monday around 6. It was chockers on Monday morning - fortunately we had Qantas Club access.

Darwin sure would have incredible potential - especially if Jetstar go ahead with expansion plans. I'd like to see Virgin operate more flights too and use it as a stepping stone in to SE Asia.

·
dink!
2,126 Posts
Agree... I spent 30 minutes in the Fanny Bay Ale House or whatever it's called, then went to re-check in for the second leg of my flight, which took 45 minutes for about a dozen people.

Worst. Airport. Ever.

·
Registered
251 Posts
poor bloke..

try arriving from asia.

youre awake all night coz the Jetstar service is so slow and really why are running a trolley service at 3 in the morning?!

when you get to darwin at 4am youre wasted.. but then you have to run the gauntlet to try and run past the dead shit backpackers to make it to the immigration line. oh look only 2 guys on this morning.. good thing I ran to beat the crowd.. if you sat at the back of the plane youve just added 15mintues to your frustration.

down the shitty escalator and into the baggage reclaim area... dont expect the bags to be on the only belt for another 10 mintues.. but youve already caught up to the passengers that have arrived on the 2 other Jetstar flights. So we all crowd around this one baggage belt and wait.. and wait.., and oh look a bag.. and wait and wait..

oh check it out 3 customs guys doing customs stuff... so you line up again for 10mintues..

you finally get to go out the little door and into the terminal and it's like...
**** WHAT A DUMP. great welcoming for visitors.

no money changer open and shock.. no taxis... **** you darwin you 70's backward retarded town.

an airport terminal like the new Kota Kinalabu terminal or the new Makassar airport terminal would be spot on for Darwin. But no.. it wont happen, we'll get this shitty expansion which wont solve anything or beautify anything.

the only way you'd go "thank **** im home".. would be if you were coming in from Dili

·
dink!
2,126 Posts
^^ Fortunately I had the foresight to pay the extra $50 and get a direct flight back to Melbourne... I knew that'd be the state of things at 4am, and I'm far from functional at that time or after a few hours in the air, so I'm quite happy with my $50 investment in sanity.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Taxis are a major problem in Darwin, used to drive me up the wall when I lived there earlier this year.

And yes Darwin Airport sucks

·
The trains are coming
256 Posts
They need to turn Darwin into a special administrative zone with lower taxes, to try and attract some of the business that's moved to Singapore, HK and Dubai back to Australia. Of course this would go down like a lead baloon with the general public, but if they want to stop jobs from moving overseas it must be worth some thought.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Darwin airport master plan approved
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/12/20/202281_travel.html

There may be less of a wait at Darwin airport once upgrades are completed.
The federal government has approved the master plan for Darwin International Airport.

The federal government has approved the master plan for Darwin International Airport.

Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese says the plan sets out the airport's strategic direction for the next two decades.

Leave your comments here.

"As well as playing a vital role in the long-term defence of our nation, the airport is also an important piece of economic infrastructure for the Top End," Mr Albanese said in a statement on Monday.

"Last financial year, more than 1.5 million passengers transited through its terminal - a number that's expected to almost triple to four million by 2030.

YOUR SAY
"Bet it won't include changing the ridiculous times in or out of Darwin by the airlines but they will still stand to make more money for sure!!"
Red Eye
"In response to this growth in passenger numbers, the master plan includes a major redevelopment of the passenger terminal by 2013 as well as the progressive upgrade of taxiways and general aviation facilities."

The upgrade will include a new access road linking McMillans Road and Osgood Drive.

As well, the operators will work with the Northern Territory government and Darwin City Council to upgrade intersections at McMillans Road to improve safety and access to the airport, Mr Albanese said.

Darwin International Airport now has 50 working days to make its master plan available to the public.

Northern Territory Airports welcomed the plan's approval.

"The master plan provides a 20-year plan for aviation growth, land use, community impact, commercial development, runway requirements and the regional economic significance of Darwin International Airport," chief executive Ian Kew said.

The master plan includes major plans for redevelopment of the passenger terminal by 2013 as well as upgrades of taxiways and the general aviation precinct, Mr Kew said.

He said Darwin International Airport contributed about $296 million a year to the Northern Territory economy.

The redevelopment of the passenger terminal over the next two years would create about 150 jobs during construction and another 200 jobs after completion, Mr Kew said.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Guys, I have it on good authority That emirates will be commencing a Darwin service in 2011. Not confirmed but my pals who work at emirates assure me that it's happening.

·
©
9,470 Posts
^^
That rumour has been floating around on internet forums for a couple of weeks now. Really can't see it working unless they are going to go ADL-DRW-DXB or something along those lines.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Hey Guys, I have it on good authority That emirates will be commencing a Darwin service in 2011. Not confirmed but my pals who work at emirates assure me that it's happening.
EK are a rumour machine, but 90% of those have no factual truth to them.

I dont think EK would be dumb enough to try DRW, as it just struggles to add up as a viable proposition, whichever route model they work it into.

·
Registered
251 Posts
^^ seems whacked doesnt it..

however i have heard there is a bit of ********* cash sunk into the land around the Kununurra area. planes dont just carry people. im thinking the freight back to the dessert may be worth more than the tickets they will sell.
That's just a theory.

They'll get my money for sure.. everyone here HATES jetstar and their monopoly. i doubt they'll be able to fill a 777 everyday though.. they might.. but the grey A320 to singapore will be empty that's for sure.

hope it happens. still.. Darwin's a fucking shit box hole of an airport.

I havent seen the other forums but I have heard DXB-DPS-DRW. ALL speculation of course.

I also reckons it'll be ADL-DXB direct.. why go through darwhinnnne?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts