SkyscraperCity banner

281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
4,950 Posts
A few construction photos of Wharf Two from yesterday and today:

Waterfront Wharf 2 - 3rd Nov 2013 by Oriolus84, on Flickr

Waterfront Wharf Two - 2nd Nov 2013 by Oriolus84, on Flickr

Waterfront Wharf Two - 2nd Nov 2013 by Oriolus84, on Flickr
Thanks Oriolus! I lodged the original DA for this stage waaaaaaaay back in 2008, so it's wonderful to see it finally going ahead! I'm sure there are plenty of variations since the original version, but it's a Bates Smart design so hopefully turns out well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks Oriolus! I lodged the original DA for this stage waaaaaaaay back in 2008, so it's wonderful to see it finally going ahead! I'm sure there are plenty of variations since the original version, but it's a Bates Smart design so hopefully turns out well.
It might look ok, but if its built to the same standard as stage 1, it could be norman foster, with art by michelangelo, it would still be a stinking pile of excrement.

Pray its well finished.

·
®
5,998 Posts
Looks like there are still a few more stages to go after Stage 2. :)

SOURCE - Darwin City Waterfront: PARKSIDE development

Looks like Charles Darwin University (CDU) is also going to have some presence in this stage; with the Business School being incorporated.

Have all the further stages been approved yet also ? I wouldn't imagine they would all be the similar architectually as the previous stages?

The Bates Smart design renders look good:

Source - Bates Smart

·
4,950 Posts
Looks like there are still a few more stages to go after Stage 2. :)

Have all the further stages been approved yet also ? I wouldn't imagine they would all be the similar architectually as the previous stages?
At least when I was working for the company each stage had its own design tender process so the stages appear different architecturally. The general block envelopes are already determined however as part of the concept plan. I imagine this will be amended over the 20 year life of the project however.

There are some very big towers planned (~30 storeys) around the base of Stokes Hill, which can't be seen in the rendering above (off to the right of the picture).

·
®
5,998 Posts
Cool thanks for all the nearmap updates...

errr.. Nearmap don't actually use a satellite. ;) IIRC They get high resolution photos from a small plane.

:cheers1: all the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
stage 2 almost looks completed now. I think they should have kept most of the ground floor of each building as shops/offices. Hopefully stage 3 is more like first.

·
6,403 Posts
I don't care for the design of Wharf Two at all, very dated. Reminds me of The Gardens Apartments or Club Lodge in Brisbane. It looks like it was designed 30-40 years ago, and they only just got around to building it. It's a shame, cause I really love the design of Wharf One.

·
4,950 Posts
stage 2 almost looks completed now. I think they should have kept most of the ground floor of each building as shops/offices. Hopefully stage 3 is more like first.
Nice idea but the problem is there isn't enough demand for it.

You'd have vacant shopfront after vacant shopfront. Better to concentrate the shops in a particular area and attempt to generate some vibrancy in particular areas (i.e. around the hotels, waterfront, pool, convention centre etc) rather than have vast areas of partially occupied shops.

·
4,950 Posts
I don't care for the design of Wharf Two at all, very dated. Reminds me of The Gardens Apartments or Club Lodge in Brisbane. It looks like it was designed 30-40 years ago, and they only just got around to building it. It's a shame, cause I really love the design of Wharf One.
The materials haven't really been carried through the way they were intended. Bates Smart were trying to emphasise more natural materials (timber, glass, ochre washes) but the ochre colours have ended up much more like solid blocks, and some of the timber elements look like they've become powdercoated aluminium.

Still, looks more simple and stylish than Stage 1, which is looking quite early 2000s.

·
Registered
238 Posts
we can only hope its better built than wharf one which is a catastrophe. and has useable elevators. whoever is responsible for the elevators in wharf 1 should be immediately banned from anything to do with the design or construction of anything.

·
6,403 Posts
As mentioned in the general projects thread, despite no posts in this thread for over 4 years, the nest stage of the Darwin Waterfront is going ahead, with a Westin Hotel said to now be under construction, including a skybridge over to the CBD from the top floor of the hotel. Renders from the below articles

Construction of the new $200 million Westin Darwin hotel will begin this month - The Hotel Conversation, 12th February 2019

$200m Westin waterfront hotel in Darwin NT given the green light - PlantMiner, 11th July 2019

Northern Territory has $24 billion in projects happening - NT News, 12th August 2019

281 - 300 of 302 Posts