SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 301 Posts

·
15,901 Posts
the developers might give you $5 for making an effort!:D
nah jj, i like ya design its very original and futuristic!

·
Galactic Ruler
6,806 Posts
I'd like to live in the tropics for a while while they build it... with all the money I'd make I could retire with homes in Trump Tower - NYC, A pad on the peak HK and a waterfront mansion on the North Shore - Sydney. :)

I'm sure that $5 will go a long way to securing my future haha

·
Registered
71,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
from mondays fin review>
After a 10 year wait a decision on the blueprint for redeveloping Darwins waterfront is expected in September!
With transcontinental railway in place and planned gas pipeline being built the final stage of the city ambitious infrastructure drive- the $600mil reconstruction of citys historic waterfront is about to begin!
The first stage will be $90mil 1500 seat convention centre and resi & commercial developments.Clearing the 25 hectare site which is 1.5km along wateffront has begun with some port tanks removed.
the project will take 10-15 years!

·
i've changed my mind
3,770 Posts
just looking at the pics of darwins buildings... have developers and architechs actually designed the new buildings any differently to accomadate for high winds in cyclones? i allways thought they should build all the buildings in darwin in a pyramid shape... being the strongest shape for structures

·
Registered
214 Posts
That looks really cool it would do a alot for Darwin. I used to go fishing off those warves and catch travaley, mackeral and all sorts of other fish. It will certainly be a good fishing spot.

·
Registered
71,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
fantastic. look how high they are 20-30 storeys!! i wonder whats going to happen with the oil tanks behind? is area contaminated? the views and smells wont be too nice.
overall looks like a nice design

·
Registered
71,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Danubis said:
just looking at the pics of darwins buildings... have developers and architechs actually designed the new buildings any differently to accomadate for high winds in cyclones? i allways thought they should build all the buildings in darwin in a pyramid shape... being the strongest shape for structures
yes im sure post 75 there are requirements for stronger frames ect. maybe reinforced concrete would be a start. window panels would need to be set in powerful framing. roof would be tileless.

heres some picx of Cyclone Tracys devastation

i guess where not i kansas anymore toto.

faaarK

cars in pool at Travelodge

The 10storey MLC and Travelodge seemed to stand up ok to cyclone

Also T&G. i wonder the 6st uc coped. especially the crane?

·
6,396 Posts
If you go to the web site at http://www.waterfront.nt.gov.au/ there is some more information. In particular this pdf
http://www.otd.nt.gov.au/dcm/otd/publications/major_projects/waterfront/Proposed Masterplan.pdf

The "crap oval turtle thing" is a convention and exhibition centre and I don't remember ever seeing any exhibition centres that look good from the air (Melbourne and Cairns come to mind as particularly bad ones) but that isn't what counts I suppose. Also included in stage 1 is swimming lagoon.

What I find weird is that sea wall fencing off most of the harbour - it must open because there appears to be marina berths inside.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,806 Posts
Nah i don't like the disjointed nature of their buildings and that oval thing is just grotesque. All the structures have no balance or direction, there is no focus it just like they grabbed some lego blocks and dropped them on a map.

Yes I will give a 5 YO a bunch of buildings and they can arrange something equally as disturbing i'd bet.

·
i've changed my mind
3,770 Posts
Nah i don't like the disjointed nature of their buildings and that oval thing is just grotesque. All the structures have no balance or direction, there is no focus it just like they grabbed some lego blocks and dropped them on a map.

Yes I will give a 5 YO a bunch of buildings and they can arrange something equally as disturbing i'd bet.

wasnt that robin gibsons arguement for all his southbank designs in brisbane?

·
4,907 Posts
Some more news and renderings on this project:

Waterfront Go Ahead
The $1.1 Billion Darwin Waterfront and Convention Centre has been given the go ahead with financial close achieved on Monday 9 May.

Chief Minister, Clare Martin, said construction work on the Waterfront project would start immediately and provide a major boost for the local job market.

Ms Martin said Territory businesses will reap the major benefits from the project with approximately 1000 jobs created and an 85% local content component guaranteed in the project contracts.

"The Waterfront and Convention and Exhibition Centre is a visionary project that will create local jobs, drive economic growth and boost our great Territory lifestyle," she said.

The development will include three main elements and will be staged over 15 years. It will include:

The Darwin Convention and Exhibition Centre, with a 1500-seat capacity and 4000sq metres of exhibition space, Community facilities including seawall, wave pool, swimming areas, public promenade, parklands and picnic areas, Commercial developments, including a Medina hotel, harbour side cafes and restaurants and a staged residential development.

On this website you can review the draft plan and gain access to the news room , you can read about the history and heritage of the site or look at project details relating to the environment or the Darwin Convention & Exhibition Centre. You can even have your say by completing the on-line feedback form.

Draft masterplan - Stage 1:

Masterplan with city view:

Convention Centre by day:

Convention Centre by night:

View from escarpment:

Large masterplan model view - some big towers in there!! :D

·
Registered
71,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Darwin truly keeps amazing me. it really is taking off now. I noticed a few 25storey bldgs at the right. look at that sea wall? its a great idea to keep a "safe pool" near resorts. let it begin!
cheers finn!

21 - 40 of 301 Posts