Marina Grande under construction, Beach St. North

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
wow! beautiful!

·
A decade and counting
527 Posts
Fuken hicksville....lol. I go to school in Daytona and although the skyline is mediocre the city itself is quite poor. No real industry outside of tourism.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuken hicksville....lol. I go to school in Daytona and although the skyline is mediocre the city itself is quite poor. No real industry outside of tourism.
i agree with you just in that Daytona needs help coming together as a city. It has so much history, but year after year it's a constant struggle between being a city and languishing into suburbanism. The beach is gorgeous though, and Daytona has an absolutely beautiful beach skyline.

As far as no real industry outside of tourism...where are you from? Name me a city in Florida that does not have the same problem. Orlando and Tampa and Miami all have other industries, but tourism really makes up about 3/4 of the total income.

·
A decade and counting
527 Posts
i agree with you just in that Daytona needs help coming together as a city. It has so much history, but year after year it's a constant struggle between being a city and languishing into suburbanism. The beach is gorgeous though, and Daytona has an absolutely beautiful beach skyline.

As far as no real industry outside of tourism...where are you from? Name me a city in Florida that does not have the same problem. Orlando and Tampa and Miami all have other industries, but tourism really makes up about 3/4 of the total income.
Well yeah you're right but atleast you'll find some sort of commercial buildings in Orlando, Miami and Tampa. Almost all the highrises in Daytona are either hotels or time-shares. You cant find a decent job in Daytona outside the hotel business. I guess I hold a different observation since Im from the Northeast.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well yeah you're right but atleast you'll find some sort of commercial buildings in Orlando, Miami and Tampa. Almost all the highrises in Daytona are either hotels or time-shares. You cant find a decent job in Daytona outside the hotel business. I guess I hold a different observation since Im from the Northeast.
I agree with you there, and this is the biggest problem i have with skylines like that of Miami Beach and Panama City and Sunny Isles Beach and Daytona. Skylines are nice to look at, but if all the highrises are hotels and timeshares with no street-level interaction it ends up being really lame when you actually go there. You're right about that in Orlando and Tampa and Jax most of the highrises are commercial buildings and resorts and timeshares are nowhere close to being as tall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts