Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conventional wisdom would seem to dictate that for day tripping (let's say places in little more than 100 mile + distance from Chicago) for Chicagoans is not nearly as good in our fair city as it is in most coastal cities (Atlantic and Pacific) as well as many inland ones.

Do you agree?

How do you feel our offerings of places like Galena, Starved Rock, Indiana Dunes, Michigan's harbor country, Milwaukee...or even further afield Dells, Door Co., Brown Co (IN), etc., measure up to the offerings of other cities?

Are we really deprived in the attractions of our immediate hinterland....or are the attractions out there really pretty alluring and more competitve than we may think?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Milwaukee, Madison, and Lake Geneva are worth it. Otherwise, in rush hour, it would take me over an hour just to get to Orland Park, then what is beyond that as you head towards Central Illinois?

I would have to say that we are somewhat deprived in our day trip offerings. In fact, it really only makes sense to head north into Wisconsin if you want to experience anything worthwhile.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
JB_Gold Coast said:
In fact, it really only makes sense to head north into Wisconsin if you want to experience anything worthwhile.
that's total bullshit. the dunes in indiana and michigan are very much worthwhile and it would surpise most people that such amazing natural coastal beauty exists so close to chicago.

·
Registered
721 Posts
edsg25 said:
Conventional wisdom
1. Not conventional
2. Wisdom is null and void on this topic.

How to attack Chicago another way. Perhaps we can build a grand canyon or Mt Rainier to make our lives to much better. We probably do not know just how bad we have it here in Chicago.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've been to the Dunes, I've been to Wisc, Ind, blah blah. I love the areas Chicago has surrounding it - but yes, I agree that we are lacking a diverse set of day-trips from the city. I really just wanna drive into the mountains sometime, or large waterfalls, huge forests, canyons, the ocean, cliffs. Not ripping on the midwest, but it's hard to take a road trip from Chicago for a weekend and have the opportunity to see MULTIPLE awesome sights. Yes I know there are many out there, so don't pipe up about that.....but they are somewhat sparse in our neck of the woods.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Steely Dan said:
that's total bullshit. the dunes in indiana and michigan are very much worthwhile and it would surpise most people that such amazing natural coastal beauty exists so close to chicago.
Okay, chill out. Point being, heading South into Illinois isn't going to do much good. Head any direction but South.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Chicagoago said:
I've been to the Dunes, I've been to Wisc, Ind, blah blah. I love the areas Chicago has surrounding it - but yes, I agree that we are lacking a diverse set of day-trips from the city. I really just wanna drive into the mountains sometime, or large waterfalls, huge forests, canyons, the ocean, cliffs. Not ripping on the midwest, but it's hard to take a road trip from Chicago for a weekend and have the opportunity to see MULTIPLE awesome sights. Yes I know there are many out there, so don't pipe up about that.....but they are somewhat sparse in our neck of the woods.
Well said. Certainly sparse...there is no question about it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
JB_Gold Coast said:
Okay, chill out. Point being, heading South into Illinois isn't going to do much good. Head any direction but South.
Well, if you head VERY south, there's some beautiful hill country in Southern Illinois. They even have vineyards. ;)

Also, skiing is available within a day's trip to Chicagoans.

I'm not going to say that the hills of Wisconsin are as majestic as a mountain, but its not like we just have a vast flat wasteland with nothing to do around here.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
JB_Gold Coast said:
Okay, chill out.
chill out for what? i wasn't getting angry or upset or anything, just calling out your bullshit. it ain't a big deal. just accept the correction and move on.

as for the topic in general, i will agree that chicago is not blessed with the most scenic or interesting hinterland, but since i grew up here, it's all i really know so it's not like this is an issue that matters to me very much. i think folks who move to chicago from other places have a harder time with this than the natives do. would it be cooler if there were big giant snow capped mountains an hour and a half west of the city? probably, but i've never lived near mountians so it ain't like it's something i miss or anything.

michigan, indiana, illinois and wisconsin are what they are, and i love 'em for it none the less.

·
Banned
757 Posts
^^^^Yeah Shawnee is cool, but that is a hell a day trip....itt takes 6-7 hours to get donw there.

The dunes are really pretty awesome, not just the indiana but the dunes in Michigan as well, there are several "dune parks' as well

When I had people in from the east coast we took them there for a day at the beach and they were impressed

·
Registered
721 Posts
Steely Dan said:
michigan, indiana, illinois and wisconsin are what they are, and i love 'em for it none the less.
Another thing....we get out of the city once or twice a year. This means we specifically leave the city and go to the Country. We normally love it but are so so happy each time we back into the city Sunday evening. My partner and I do love traveling and living here in Chicago with our two fantastic airports makes this so easy and economical to fly to....you guessed it....other cities...for weekends. But we are city people we live and love what cities have to offer us.

I was going to get the pictures from Door County, Mackinaw, Saugutuck, Indiana Dunes, Oregon Illinois, Galena...but you know....the people making this post obviously didn't want to hear anything good about this area.....

What sort of bothers me about these types of questions is they always come from a deficianty point of view. What Chicago is lacking.....and from the point of view of most people who live in Chicago...we aren't lacking much. We have room to improve...but we love it here.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
To people who have lived in other metros:

Do people actually take advantage of the natural resources their areas offer? People I've known who lived in Seattle said they maybe took advantage of nature there once or twice a year. Most people aren't going to go hiking or skiing or whatever every weekend.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Loopy said:
Plus, you can visit the Dunes using public transportation.

South Shore Line has a Dunes station. From there it is a pleasant 15 minute walk from the station to the beach. You can also bring you bicycle (but unfortunately not your dog) aboard the train.
I didn't know that. I'll have to check that out some time! I haven't been to the Dunes in years.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It goes without saying that almost everyone on the chicago forum would not trade beautiful natural scenery for the vibrance and excitement of urban life. But yes, for impressive beauty, one must fly elsewhere in the country.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
rgolch said:
But yes, for impressive beauty, one must fly elsewhere in the country.
that completely depends on one's subjective definition of impressive beauty. i find the northwoods wilderness, the straits of mackinac, and sleeping bear dunes to be "impressively beautiful", but others may disagree.

·
Registered
721 Posts
rgolch said:
It goes without saying that almost everyone on the chicago forum would not trade beautiful natural scenery for the vibrance and excitement of urban life. But yes, for impressive beauty, one must fly elsewhere in the country.
Lake Michigan is "impressive beauty" ......love it...storms, waves, emerald blue....sunrises...sunsets.....smell....hugenesss.

But lots of people find differnt type of enviroments nice. Some need mountains and some need lots of water. Some love desert. It is all so subjective.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chicago3rd said:
1. Not conventional
2. Wisdom is null and void on this topic.

How to attack Chicago another way. Perhaps we can build a grand canyon or Mt Rainier to make our lives to much better. We probably do not know just how bad we have it here in Chicago.
Have you ever seen me attack Chicago in any way at all?

·
Banned
757 Posts
^^^^^edsg he's ultra ....well edgy.....he was all over mere because I simply suggested that the Chicago city council shouldn't be delving into such matters as foie gras, and cigarettes......

...not sure what his issue is.

anyhow as I stated earlier there are some quite beautiful natural wonders at a door step, and not too far away.......does it pale in comparison to say Big SUr or Monterrey, or some place in Maine etc........maybe...I guess it depends on what you like.....but I tell you stanind on the shore of Lake Michigan after a goood thunderstorm outbreak and a nice NE or N wind driving the waves , especially if you are lucky to be at one of the spectacular DUne parks in Michigan or even Indiana (MIchigan are more awesome...in the true sense of awe...being terror and wonder....)..... is sublime

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Personally I like what is out there in our hinterland...a lot. And I absolutely agree with Dan about Macacnac. In fact, Lake Michigan is an unbelieably beautiful asset, unique as well. The northwoods feeling of much of WI and MI, including the more rugged terrain, is inviting. In Illinois, we have a wonderful charmer in Galena. And southern IN...Brown Co in particularl...has a definite Appalachian feel to it.

That said, folks on the east coast and the west coast probably do have more options in truly dramatic scenery and charming small towns, and the availablility of other major cities....none of which prevents me from enjoying the pleasues that exist right outsdie Chicago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts