Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It could happen:

D.C. bid to host 2024 Olympics receiving USOC consideration

In deliberately low-key style, as U.S. Olympic Committee officials have directed, a group of the region’s deep-pocketed, well-connected business leaders has been trying to convince the organization to name Washington as the country’s nominee to host the 2024 Games.

DC2024, as the effort is called, represents a regional bid that incorporates the clout and sporting venues of Washington, as well as northern Virginia and Maryland. It is led by Russ Ramsey, a Virginia based financier and philanthropist. Vice chairman is Ted Leonsis, Washington Wizards and Capitals owner and a former AOL executive and venture capitalist.

Washington is among six cities believed to be in the running. The others: Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles (host of the 1932 and 1984 Olympics), San Diego and San Francisco. The mayors of New York and Philadelphia announced last month that their cities, initially interested, were bowing out.

On Tuesday, the USOC’s 15-member board of directors will meet behind closed doors to pare that list to two or three cities, although USOC Chairman Larry Probst has said the panel does not intend to make its decision public.

[...]

Like the other cities in the running for 2024, the Washington area has been visited more than once by a USOC working group that has been evaluating potential bid cities.

A Washington-area bid would incorporate the region’s inventory of sporting venues within a compact geographical area, with only an Olympic stadium and athletes’ village required to be built.

Much like the successful London 2012 Games, it would focus on integrating the competition with existing facilities and locating the hub of new construction — the Olympic stadium and village — in a region that needs redevelopment and reinvestment. One site under consideration is the area around RFK Stadium.

Finally, a DC2024 bid would stress the region’s experience and readiness in public safety and securing high-profile events; its network of public transportation; and its multicultural population.

[...]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Could force the Blue Line split through downtown to actually happen. Might get streetcars and the construction of the Purple line a boost. Many things are already built. The biggest loss for DC would be that the RFK stadium site would probably remain a stadium and be home again to the Redskins instead of turning into something more useful for the area.

·
Dantini_HeKnewHoudini
253 Posts
Forget it DC

Sorry to sound like a disgruntled tax payer/citizen, but anything and I mean anything that comes out of DC will surely be a disaster.

The City of Washington is starting to have some great neighborhoods and some great national press for this urban life. Why screw it all up by hosting the Olympics. You will be paying for it for the rest of your life.

Forget it DC.

·
Registered
504 Posts
RFK would need tens of millions, if not more, invested in it to make it Olympic-worthy.

Olympics used to be a glorious event that showcased a city. Now they're money-burners that you need 10 layers of extra security just to make the athletes and fans feel the slightest bit safe.

·
Charles Village
148 Posts
I would not want my tax dollars in Maryland to fund DC's olympic bid. DC would get all the attention and PR while MD would spend billions on stadiums and security that we do not need.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hosting the Olympics in the DC area would be a boon in one sense -it would force us to invest in our transport infrastructure needs much faster than would normally be the case. Especially as pertains to Metro. For instance, with the opening and expansion of the Silver Line, we increasingly need a Blue Line bypass tunnel, and this would ensure it gets built before 2030. Or, with regard to MARC, they might finally get around to building a line to Southern Maryland. The DC streetcar network might also get a boost. And I haven't gotten to our highways yet.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Only hope now is that the US doesn't get it and they can go for 2028. Baltimore's stadiums would be 36 and 30 years old by then, though...

·
Dantini_HeKnewHoudini
253 Posts
Lucky!

Personally, I believe that DC/Baltimore lucked out in NOT getting the Olympics. The cost is way too much and the security concerns and inconvenience is without peer.

Imho, if DC and/or Baltimore is interested in such an event, I would try to secure a World's Fair. Not as expensive, not a security nightmare, and finally, will draw attention to the city.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh well. :nuts:
I thought DC and San Francisco had the best shot but Boston came in strong late with great promotions and a credible venue package (yet to be designed). LA has had the games twice so as good as their proposal was I didn't think the USOC would bring them forward again. 2032?

Anyway the NIMBYs everywhere except Boston are excited they got to dodge the rings this time but there will be another cycle and hopefully people in these cities will either embrace the possibility or make room for new candidates. DC may be back, Chicago will be back, LA will be back and San Francisco is a perennial favorite for everyone except the residents. New York may bother once more but I wouldn't be surprised if they never host the Olympics. And since a little rule change by the IOC, San Diego and Tijuana could roll out another joint bid. :D

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Personally, I believe that DC/Baltimore lucked out in NOT getting the Olympics. The cost is way too much and the security concerns and inconvenience is without peer.

Imho, if DC and/or Baltimore is interested in such an event, I would try to secure a World's Fair. Not as expensive, not a security nightmare, and finally, will draw attention to the city.
Does the World's Fair still go on?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
^^^^^^ It does, and I think it's a great idea! The 2023 site will be announced in June 2016, a year after the official pitch is made.

The 2012 World's Fair was held in South Korea over the dates of May 12 and ran until August 12. They had participation of more than 100 countries and international organizations, with 8,203,956 million visitors.

If Kevin Plank & Co doesn't have immidiate plans for Port Covington, this would be a great spot to host it. I know, a lot of things including transportation would have to be worked out, but it's right on the water and we could possibly get a signature tower or attraction (space needle, eiffel tower or the unisphere) that could be the center piece of the new development.

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
^^^^^^ It does, and I think it's a great idea! The 2023 site will be announced in June 2016, a year after the official pitch is made.

The 2012 World's Fair was held in South Korea over the dates of May 12 and ran until August 12. They had participation of more than 100 countries and international organizations, with 8,203,956 million visitors.

If Kevin Plank & Co doesn't have immidiate plans for Port Covington, this would be a great spot to host it. I know, a lot of things including transportation would have to be worked out, but it's right on the water and we could possibly get a signature tower or attraction (space needle, eiffel tower or the unisphere) that could be the center piece of the new development.
Even Port Covington would probably not be large enough. It could utilize the south side of the Middle Branch, towards Westport, as well. It would be a fabulous site. A spur, even temporary, could be run off the current light rail line.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts