Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Oslo, the capital of Norway, on a mini-cruise from Copenhagen in April. I only
had about six hours in the city, so, obviously, I didn't have time to see everything, and I
realized that there's a lot more to see, so I'm definitely coming back another time. Here are
the first pictures. There will be several parts.

Oslo is situated at the north end of Oslo Fjord. Coming in by ship is very impressive as the
fjord gets quite narrow at times.

You have a beautiful view of downtown Oslo from the water. Here we see the city hall in the
middle.

And here is Havnelageret (Harbor Storage Building).

A panorama of Oslo Spektrum, which is a big indoor arena in downtown, actually the largest in
Norway. It's used for concerts, exhibitions, conferences and, of course, sporting events. The
maximum capacity is 9,700 people.

Vigelandsparken is part of Frognerparken. I remember NorthStar77 once showed pictures from this
amazing park full of sculptures, but here are some of my photos.

Gustav Vigeland made the models for all the sculptures in the park.

Need some help, guys?

Nice view of the park. Notice the traces of snow!

The Monolith is 17 m. tall and was finished in 1943. It's surrounded by 36 sculptures of
people representing the different stages of life.

A special greeting to my friends at SSC. :D

There will be more pictures from Vigelandsparken in some of the other parts.

The Royal Castle is located at the end of the famous Karl Johan Street.

It's guarded by people like this guy, perhaps known as Mr. Norway? ;)

The Radisson SAS Plaza Hotel is the tallest and one of the largest in Scandinavia.

It's 117 m. (384 ft.) tall, which makes it the tallest highrise in Norway.

A romantic giant (or is it a troll?) has woken up and is trying to reach his girlfriend.

·
always on
4,826 Posts
exellent pics! Oslo looks wonderful!

damn... cant wait til Tallink starts operating some cruise line beteen Tallinn and Copenhagen and maybe Oslo!

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Beautiful photos! :applause: :drool: I've always loved Oslo (and all of Norway) because of it's amazing scenery and typical-scandinavian architecture.. :drool:

Would u mind if we used some of these photos on scandinavish.com? :)

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
DenverDane said:
I remember NorthStar77 once showed pictures from this
amazing park full of sculptures, but here are some of my photos.
To be honest, I think your photos of Vigelandsparken are much better that mine!

And I like your other photos too. Looking forward for more :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/6747/img3278osloroyalcastle9mn.jpg

That photo is awesome. It's one of the greatest photos I've seen for long time. It would have been better if you had taken it a little "farther down". You know? That there would be a little more ground visible. (I hope you understand what I mean, too difficult language for my English skills :)).

But anyway, I like it a lot.

And thanks for the photos. There were many good photos but this one was so nice.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Qazaq: Thank you! I certainly did enjoy the trip! I can pretty much guarantee it won't be my last visit to Oslo (or Norway).

@ch1le: Thanks! Yeah, it would be cool with a cruise connection to Tallinn, though I fear it's a bit too far.

@DLL_4ever: Thanks! Feel free to use them on your site! :)

@NorthStar77: Thanks, mate! Hehe, if you say so. It definitely wasn't my goal to take better photos than yours. In fact, I don't recall your photos that well, so if your thread still exists, feel free to post a link to it here, because I really liked Vigelandspaken.

@Tuomas: Thank you, sir. I understand what you mean, a little less sky and more ground.

@Mr_Denmark: Thanks. Yep, it's a great city, especially when the weather is as nice as it was on that day.

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
DenverDane said:
In fact, I don't recall your photos that well, so if your thread still exists, feel free to post a link to it here, because I really liked Vigelandspaken.
Naah, that thread is about 2 years old, I doubt it still exist;)

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Awesome pics DD!!! Brings back memories of my last visit to Oslo! Nice place ! ;)

I love the pic of the gigantic hand rising out of the pavement holding the rose ! Great stuff ! ;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@NorthStar77: Yeah, it looks like it's gone... Too bad.. :(

@designwise: Thanks! :) More pictures coming up.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A view of downtown Oslo with the two tallest highrises, Biskop Gunnerus gate 14 and
Radisson SAS Plaza (barely visible behind it).

Back to Vigelandsparken. The sculpturors needed 14 years to complete all the amazing
sculptures.

A closer look at the sculptures surrounding the monolith.

Animal life in Frogner Park.

KPMG-bygget is 62 m. (209 ft.) tall and from 2001. It reminds me of the KPMG building in
Århus, Denmark.

The old metro train.

The street Skippergata.

Norwegian Freia Chocolate is now owned by Kraft Foods. They have a huge sign next to
Karl Johan Street. Freia has been making milk chocolate for one hundred years now!

Aker Brygge to the left and Oslo City Hall to the right.

Oslo University.

Oslo's new opera is under construction, as you can see here.

The Trafikanten tower marks the tourist information center next to the central station.

There are many nice buildings in the center of Oslo, like this one.

·
NWO Henchman
1,018 Posts
DenverDane said:
Oslo is situated at the north end of Oslo Fjord. Coming in by ship is very impressive as the
fjord gets quite narrow at times.
If I'm not mistaken, this is where Blücher was sunk.

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Awesome :applause:

Does anybody have a picture (or rendering) of what the Opera house will look like when finished?

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
25,273 Posts
Nice shots. The castle almost looks like a rendering in this pic:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@NorthStar77: Thanks, I try to vary the threads, so people won't be too bored. :)

@Spearman: Yes, you're right. As Qazaq said, I was pretty much on top of Blücher. For people who would like to know more about it, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cruiser_Blücher
It's a perfect place to defend against oncoming vessels as the fjord is so narrow there.

@DLL_4ever: Thanks! :)

@Kampflamm: Thank you! Don't tell anyone, but all of them are just renderings. Never really went there. ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts