SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Indeed, URA is decentralising business activities and commercial centres outside CBD.

Checkout Channel NewsAsia for an exclusive interview with URA’s Chief Planner Lim Eng Hwee talks about key strategies for the next decade, and "planning mistakes" in the past.

·
Canadian
6 Posts
Decentralization of the CBDs has been marketed very heavily in the last 10 years in Vancouver, BC. Unfortunately, the location of where the government is pushing for the "new" CBD (Surrey) is horrible. As how the OP mentioned, it was in the opposite location of where people were coming from to go to the original CBD (Downtown Vancouver), and as such, led to increase vehicle traffic in both direction.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Is there a thread here related to "Smart Nation Singapore"? Will "Smart Nation Singapore" help in decentralization?
Smart Nation is all about trying to extract the most out of whatever urban land space in Singapore so that we can still be able to preserve nature enviroment within this little red dot.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Resurfacing this:

JTC used to have four zones.

SportSG (formerly SSC) also have zones for its 20 something sports complexes.

Police also have their own four zones, which is alignment with the CDCs.

MOE has their own four zones/clusters for the schools.

Recently, we also read about the hospitals adjusting their clusters, from two (Singhealth and NHG, to many, and now reduced to three, i.e. Singhealth, NHG and NUHS).

On top of that, there is also the CDCs, whilest PA and the Town Councils operate based on the electoral boundaries .

While each of them has their rationale for their way of zoning and clustering, there were largely done within the perspective of their respective agencies. I thought, we this is missing precious opportunities to achieve synergy.

Since the CDCs have been established for some time, I had earlier suggested that Singapore may leverage on the CDC demarcations for Singapore to have 5 Districts which can be adopted for zoning or clustering by all agencies.

I note URA's masterplan is already planned on the basis of five districts, i.e. West, North, Central, East and North East. I thought this will be even better for institutionalising the five districts for Singapore. Such physical master planning would have taken into consideration the needs for residential estates, industrial zones, places for employment, schools, recreational areas, transportation systems, and various infrastructure so that each district can form a comprehensive eco-system for work-live-play. In other words, such URA masterplan districts would have already provided the blueprint for community building.

My vision is that, riding on these districts, all the agencies should also do their zoning. Eventually, when you have more and more people who can work, live and play within their districts, you will also have less transportation problems. This will also reduce the uncoordinated zoning and rezoning by different agencies which will not only affects efficiency, but also wastage. The current approach is also not helpful to forge community bonding at the local levels. Eventually, such five districts should also form the new boundaries for the CDCs. The CDC mayors will then be the mayors of these five districts.

Sports competitions may also be organanised based on such consistent five Singapore Districts. The Mayor can then inspire the residents from their respective Districts to support their respective teams.

I would push the idea a step further. I was trying to explore if there could be better names than West, North, East, Central, North East. I thought some organic local names will help to forge such community spirit better.

I now have a suggestion:
West: Jurong District.
North: Woodlands District.
East: Changi District
North East: Serangoon.
Central: Still thinking. Toying with the Raffles/Temasek/Fort Canning District....)

Jurong is already an internationally well known brand, due largely to JTC and the industrial estate.

Changi is also a global brand, due to the airport.

Woodlands is in effect the well recognised 'border town'.

Serangoon is organic and apt, due to Serangoon Road that actually forms the spine of this district.

For Central, I was trying to fine a name that connects with the founding of Singapore, hence the ideas of Raffles/Temasek/Fort Canning District....).

Hope to hear your comments/further suggestions.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Resurfacing this:

JTC used to have four zones.

SportSG (formerly SSC) also have zones for its 20 something sports complexes.

Police also have their own four zones, which is alignment with the CDCs.

MOE has their own four zones/clusters for the schools.

Recently, we also read about the hospitals adjusting their clusters, from two (Singhealth and NHG, to many, and now reduced to three, i.e. Singhealth, NHG and NUHS).

On top of that, there is also the CDCs, whilest PA and the Town Councils operate based on the electoral boundaries .

While each of them has their rationale for their way of zoning and clustering, there were largely done within the perspective of their respective agencies. I thought, we this is missing precious opportunities to achieve synergy.

Since the CDCs have been established for some time, I had earlier suggested that Singapore may leverage on the CDC demarcations for Singapore to have 5 Districts which can be adopted for zoning or clustering by all agencies.

I note URA's masterplan is already planned on the basis of five districts, i.e. West, North, Central, East and North East. I thought this will be even better for institutionalising the five districts for Singapore. Such physical master planning would have taken into consideration the needs for residential estates, industrial zones, places for employment, schools, recreational areas, transportation systems, and various infrastructure so that each district can form a comprehensive eco-system for work-live-play. In other words, such URA masterplan districts would have already provided the blueprint for community building.

My vision is that, riding on these districts, all the agencies should also do their zoning. Eventually, when you have more and more people who can work, live and play within their districts, you will also have less transportation problems. This will also reduce the uncoordinated zoning and rezoning by different agencies which will not only affects efficiency, but also wastage. The current approach is also not helpful to forge community bonding at the local levels. Eventually, such five districts should also form the new boundaries for the CDCs. The CDC mayors will then be the mayors of these five districts.

Sports competitions may also be organanised based on such consistent five Singapore Districts. The Mayor can then inspire the residents from their respective Districts to support their respective teams.

I would push the idea a step further. I was trying to explore if there could be better names than West, North, East, Central, North East. I thought some organic local names will help to forge such community spirit better.

I now have a suggestion:
West: Jurong District.
North: Woodlands District.
East: Changi District
North East: Serangoon.
Central: Still thinking. Toying with the Raffles/Temasek/Fort Canning District....)

Jurong is already an internationally well known brand, due largely to JTC and the industrial estate.

Changi is also a global brand, due to the airport.

Woodlands is in effect the well recognised 'border town'.

Serangoon is organic and apt, due to Serangoon Road that actually forms the spine of this district.

For Central, I was trying to fine a name that connects with the founding of Singapore, hence the ideas of Raffles/Temasek/Fort Canning District....).

Hope to hear your comments/further suggestions.
An idea related to the above.

http://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-in-print/tweak-urban-planning-to-ease-traffic-congestion

21 - 29 of 29 Posts