Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got the idea for creating this thread when I was reading The New American Ghetto by Camilio Jose Vergara. The book mentioned defended or fortified structures whether they are churches, commericial establishments, residential flats, etc. These kinds of stuctures are common in blue collar / high crime areas and in cities such as Detroit, New York or Los Angeles.

I actually been to one which was a Mc Donalds in South Los Angeles. It's was near the Firestone station of the MTA Blue Line. This Mc Donalds was very different and it was well defended. There was a glass that seperated the customers from the cashier and the cashier talks to the customers through a microphone. In order to get your food, you can to take it from a large chut instead of getting it from the counter.

Does your city have such defended structures or have images of some?

·
Alá-lá-ô, ô ô ô ô ô ô
113 Posts
In Rio de Janeiro, there has been a movement over the last 15 years or so to make pratically all the apartment buildings "more secure" by installing security fencing, lights and cameras. This reaction is due to increased incidences of home invasions. Interestingly, this solution has been adopted in all parts of Rio - from the very fashionable neighborhoods of Ipanema and Barra to the less fashionable neighborhoods of Tijuca and Usina.

While I understand the rationale, the result is that the once beautiful and open building entrances and facades that were so characteristic of Rio are now obscured by utilitarian security fencing and signs that say "Smile, you're being filmed". This gives Rio the appearance of a city that is under seige and fearful; attributes which are in direct opposition to the typically warm, open reception that you get from most Cariocas (the residents of Rio).

There does seem to be a general feeling of lawlessness, what with the expansion of the favelas (the shantytowns in the hills of Rio) and the problems with drug trafficking (which results in occasional gun fights in the favelas that sometimes spill out onto the streets below). I find it unfortunate that the feeling of despair that lies just beneath the surface of most Cariocas' psyche has manifested itself so obviously in the security measures that now mar the once beautiful streetscapes of Rio.

Since I no longer live in Rio and only visit every few years, perhaps I'm more aware of the changes and subsequently shocked and saddened by them than the people who live there. It would be interesting to hear what Cariocas think.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Visiting a neighbourhood where almost every building has some visible fence or security system wouldn't evoke a scenario of a safe environment to me.

·
17,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CrazyCanuck said:
Visiting a neighbourhood where almost every building has some visible fence or security system wouldn't evoke a scenario of a safe environment to me.
How about homes with barred windows

1 - 6 of 6 Posts