Skyscraper City Forum banner
241 - 260 of 1511 Posts

·
Sagar
4,817 Posts
indian "free" press is just like kalmadi's words of "best infrastructure in the world. It is going to have the best games; better than the Beijing Olympics,"

both are laughing jokes, seriously.
guys wait wait!!

that news article was a bullshit :bash:
i today just saw his speech again he says the commonwealth games village will be better than the Beijing olympics

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,023 Posts
guys wait wait!!

that news article was a bullshit :bash:
i today just saw his speech again he says the commonwealth games village will be better than the Beijing olympics
This is true, i have read the original article and he said the games Village will be better not the actual games, he would've had to be off his head to suggest that. Looks like they are most happy with their games village compared to everything else and they should since they will be used as homes after the games are over.

·
Registered
58 Posts
An article from Times of India from today, 29th of August 2010

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...er-the-2010-loot-fest/articleshow/6453682.cms

Please don’t cheer the 2010 loot-fest

I am not going to harp on about how messed up the Commonwealth Games are. Enough has been written. The CWG 2010 is, by far, the biggest and most blatant, exercise in corruption in independent India's history. Not only have they stolen public money, they've made a mess of the job at hand. Delhi is dug up and the official anthem (and ringtone) of the Games should be the never-ending sound of drilling. If you worry about whether or not the work will finish on time, imagine the plight of Delhi's residents after the Games. The dug-up roads will never be repaired; the potholes will remain as souvenirs, symbolic of the great daylight robbery of 2010.

Posturing, something this government has a PhD in, is in full progress. Enquiry reports, vague statements, tossing responsibility from one person to the other will continue, until the Games are over. After that, fingers crossed, people will forget. Bollywood stars will do the closing ceremony and the entertainment provided will somewhat compensate for the loot-fest.

In the middle of all this, there will be propaganda campaigns to 'save India's image' and get the Games done somehow. People will be expected to support the event - after all, the pride of India is at stake. The great Indian youth will be called upon to fill stadiums and add energy to the event.

However, if we, the Indian people, support these Games, it will be a big mistake. This is a golden chance for citizens to put this corrupt and insensitive government to shame. Usually corruption issues are local in nature and they never really get the national traction or resonance that these Games have offered.

The CWG is an amazing opportunity because all Indians have been robbed at the same time. Add to that the fact that the government is desperate to save face. Now is when we can get them. And the way to do it is simply what the father of our nation pioneered in his time — non-cooperation. Yes, and i've deliberated long before saying this — do not watch these Games. Do not go to the venues. Do not watch them on TV. You cannot become a cheerleader to an exercise in cheating. The Indian people have been exploited enough, but to expect us to smile through it is a bit much. If they can walk out of Parliament, we can walk out of stadiums.

Some might say, shouldn't we support the Games on account of our country's pride? The word 'pride' reminds me of a little story. When i was a child, our neighbours were a violent man and his battered wife. The woman would cover her bruise marks with make-up, suffering silently. Whenever we visited them, the couple presented the perfect picture of a happy couple. She even praised her husband. I asked my mother why the woman behaved in that way and didn't expose her husband to show him in his true colours. My mother told me it doesn't look nice to portray an unhappy home. She has to save the family pride. Over time, the bruises turned to fractures, and the fractures became near-fatal injuries. Until one day, police cars and ambulances came in and took both husband and wife away respectively.

Yes, such is Indian culture. We are ready to cover up injustice on account of a fake sense of honour that needs to show everything is in order. In the case of the CWG, the organizers are the oppressive husband, the Indian people the battered wife. But modern Indian wives do not stay silent and suffering anymore.

College unions, schools and individuals should take a stand and make clear — we do not support these Games. Just as Gandhiji figured, the oppressor can oppress us; it cannot make us cooperate. Brand ambassadors lending their names to these Games should think twice before lending their image to cover up corruption. The foreign media could present the full picture, namely that it is not the Indian people's fault, it is a bunch of losers who didn't think twice before looting the coffers of a poor country. The foreign media could use the situation to explain why India doesn't win Olympic medals — not because we don't have the talent but because people who run sports would rather stuff their pockets with stolen gold than help their country win a gold medal.

This government came to power just a little more than a year ago. They had a clear majority and enjoyed stability. They could have, if they wanted, shown exemplary governance for the next five years. Instead, they've given the Indian people nothing but extreme inflation and extreme corruption. Way to go, leaders. You guys are really great role models for our youth.

The opposition parties have a big chance to capitalize on all this. But first they need to get along, not mix religion with politics and get aspirational leaders who are clean and work hard. They would be back before you know it.

And if the ruling party wants to get out of this mess, there is only one way. No, it isn't to execute the Games well — nobody cares about the silly Commonwealth club anyway. The only way to get out of this is to punish the people who did it, irrespective of their stature, and punish them hard. Use this as an opportunity to kill corruption, not to put on a grand, fake show. Otherwise, those holes you are digging in Delhi will be nothing but your political graves. People in India tolerate a lot, but when they get upset, they cause upset. Fix the mess, or the Indian people will soon be telling you — game over.

:eek:hno:

·
Sagar
4,817 Posts
and they should since they will be used as homes after the games are over.
yes you are right.. kalmadi and his relatives have brought 9-10 flats and rest others have gone to various ministers :bash:

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Commonwealth Games venues to miss Aug 31 deadline
August 27, 2010 09:44 IST

Another deadline for completion of projects at the venues for Commonwealth Games [ Images ] will be missed with Union Urban Development Minister Jaipal Reddy saying there will be delay by a "couple" of days beyond August 31.

Reddy blamed the rains and delay in delivery of containers for the missed deadline to hand over the games venues to the organisers. The 11-day sporting event is scheduled to start on October 3.

"The schedule is not met strictly. It is being delayed by a couple of days because of rain also and because of delay in delivery of containers," Reddy told reporters after a Group of Ministers(GOM) meeting on the Games on Thursday.

After extending the time-frame a few times in the past, the Delhi [ Images ] government had fixed August 31 as the latest deadline for completing Games projects.

"There will be a delay by a couple of days and not more than that," Reddy, who heads the GoM, said.

The electronic connectivity in the stadium and outside was discussed threadbare in the GoM meet attended by Sports Minister M S Gill, Tourism Minister Kumari Selja [ Images ], Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrasekhar, Sports and Youth Affairs Secretary Sindhusree Khullar and other senior officials.

"The main focus was the work to be done by MTNL [ Get Quote ], TCIL and Prasar Bharati. All of them have given comprehensive reports," said Reddy.

Expressing satisfaction, he said "At the end of the day the communication network is the most important thing. It was reviewed today and we are satisfied that we are on schedule."

About the container problem, he said "all the containers have been cleared and we are in complete control of the situation."

The GoM also took note of rising number of dengue cases in New Delhi.

Downplaying the dengue threat, Reddy said "We also discussed the situation arising out of dengue. I do not think situation is that alarming and by raising an alarm, we will discourage the athletes."

Asked about the aerostat clearance, he said, "Aerostat is a new kind of device. Earlier we got clearance for balloon. So the technical clearances were required."

The multi-crore aerostat (helium balloon), touted to be a star attraction at the opening and closing ceremonies of the Commonwealth Games at Jawaharlal Nehru [ Images ] Stadium, would be up in the sky by September first week for trials.

The security agencies will undertake a proper check of the balloon and the helium tank would be completely sealed off till the Games.

The aerostat is mounted with cameras that provides a 360-degree viewing experience and has laser projections. It is for the first time that such a massive balloon will be used for any sporting event in India [ Images ].

The issue of ticket distribution was also taken up by the GoM.

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,023 Posts
considering we are so close to the games, should we not be seeing more better quality pics with updates? :dunno:

this has been one of the problems, the lack of good quality photographs also gave the impression of the lack of progress. We are a month or so away, we should be inundated with photo updates and test events. However Im sure Delhi will be a great games. Looking forward to the pomp and ceremony of the whole event and Delhi would put on an amazing show but it wont cover up some of the cracks leading upto this event. If Delhi ever wants to host the Olympics it would need to get its act together.

·
~AkZ~
1,166 Posts
What is that picture showing? A guy from 2008 Olympics making bunny ears and the other guy showing off skill? seriously can the olympic guy dig a hole in the ground and stick his head in or even get close, I am sure the guy in the pavement can do what the olympic guy can with a few days in training. Heck even you and me can get guns like his if we do some weights . So what does the pic imply anyway, i am confused.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
19,820 Posts
considering we are so close to the games, should we not be seeing more better quality pics with updates? :dunno:

this has been one of the problems, the lack of good quality photographs also gave the impression of the lack of progress. We are a month or so away, we should be inundated with photo updates and test events. However Im sure Delhi will be a great games. Looking forward to the pomp and ceremony of the whole event and Delhi would put on an amazing show but it wont cover up some of the cracks leading upto this event. If Delhi ever wants to host the Olympics it would need to get its act together.
There are, I think, more photos in the Delhi subforum than there are here. I think to an extent we've been spoilt with London 2012's webcams and monthly aerial photographs of the park. I don't remember Beijing 2008's website being particularly good when it came to construction updates either even this close to their Olympics, though of course in China's case we didn't need the reassurance photos provided because everyone knew they'd have everything ready well on time.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=267911&page=283

·
Craaaaaazy Mutha F^cka
1,071 Posts
What a total **** up, whatever way you look at it and you know India is going to be an economic powerhouse of the future, whether or not the games actually pass off as a succes, there has been a total lack of cohesive communications and project management about the whole process from start to finish.

If you look at how the process has been managed in comparison to both the Olympics in Beijing and London and the Commonwealths in both Melbourne and Glasgow this is a prime example of how NOT to do it.

Indian has NO chance of hosting an olympics for the next twenty years due to this total mess!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
From the linked thread you provided, I am surprised to learn that there were stray dogs chasing participants in the cycling event. Also some people crossed closed roads, forcing athletes to slow down to avoid accidents.:eek:hno: Good thing is such problems are exposed so that the organizers can take measures to make sure they won't happen in the official games.

·
Banned
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
What a total **** up, whatever way you look at it and you know India is going to be an economic powerhouse of the future, whether or not the games actually pass off as a succes, there has been a total lack of cohesive communications and project management about the whole process from start to finish.

If you look at how the process has been managed in comparison to both the Olympics in Beijing and London and the Commonwealths in both Melbourne and Glasgow this is a prime example of how NOT to do it.

Indian has NO chance of hosting an olympics for the next twenty years due to this total mess!
things were better off when Rajiv Gandhi was our PM....Asian Games were best thing that happened to India!!!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
What is that picture showing? A guy from 2008 Olympics making bunny ears and the other guy showing off skill? seriously can the olympic guy dig a hole in the ground and stick his head in or even get close, I am sure the guy in the pavement can do what the olympic guy can with a few days in training. Heck even you and me can get guns like his if we do some weights . So what does the pic imply anyway, i am confused.
I'd ignore General Huo - there is no reasoning with psychotic nationalists like him.

241 - 260 of 1511 Posts