SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the job I've had for 4 weeks just sent me over to India for 2. I spent most of the time working, but managed to get a day off in Delhi and Singapore on the way home.

I don't know what I expected of India. But it wasn't this. This is a new commercial city in Gurgaon. The office and the hotel were here. The shacks are where the construction workers live while building. Their children just kind of play in the dirt. Meanwhile there are BMW's and Mercedes driving past. It's very depressing.

Anyway, touristy stuff..
This is the Qutab Minar. It was built in 1190 and its 72 meters tall. It's in a fort complex and is pretty amazing.

Few tombs around the place. Everytime you went near one someone would come out, take your photo with your own camera then want money to give it back.

Qutab and the mosque.

Next stop was the Lotus Temple. Stunning thing, obviously ripping off our own icon quite a bit. I couldn't take photos inside but it was very beautiful. Bare concrete with light coming in through the petals.

Iskon temple. It's the main Hare Krishna temple of Delhi.

Had this multi-level thing going on. All with that chant they do in the background. Very friendly people, didn't mind a clueless westerner there at all.

"Slums" across the road. Or mansions, you can never quite tell. Most of Delhi looks like this.

I didn't get to see the Taj Mahal, it's about 200km away and I just ran out of time. But this tomb was built buy the grandfather of the guy who built the Taj Mahal. An Amazing thing.

Next it was into central New Delhi, this is the Rajpath, the center of indian government. Rotating around you see the Home ministry, the Raj Path (India gate in the distance), Defence ministry and then the presidents residence.

By this stage I was getting pretty tired. It was a pretty bloody hot 45 degrees. So instead of a planned walk through a park we drove through Conaught place, which is the "cbd" of Delhi.
I was not impressed.

Delhi does have some skyscrapers, but like most older cities they are dotted around rather than together in a clump like we do here.

A week later we had a day in Singapore.

Love this building.

Restaurants on the old turning basin.

Newish gallery and theater.

The boss talked me into going on the wheel! :D

Ships out in the habour.

I guess that's a lot of cranes.

Sing!

Lots more photos on my site.

·
18,522 Posts
Dehli looks amazing! It doesn't seem to have the glitz of Mumbai, but I think that India looks fascinating! When you consider the amount of money being invested in Delhi these days you'll see some big improvements in the future. Also, just for interests sake since you talked about the temperature. The Delhi metro is air conditioned, but it's air conditioned to be 29 degrees! :crazy:

Singapore I thought was far too clinical and anal retentive when I was there. Sure, it's nice, but it has absolutely no life.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Great pictures. I've always loved Delhi, and although I like it I agree that Connaught Place is underwhelming for a 'CBD', but then again, Delhi isn't a city where everything is in one main CBD (nor are a lot of Asian cities). Did you get a chance to have a look around Old Delhi (around the Red Fort, Jama Masjid? The most interesting area of Delhi imo.
Looking at the pictures, it's amazing how much India has developed and the pace of the development even if to a Westerner it may still look unfinished (and at times, dirty and hopeless). I remember a totally different place 15-20 years ago to what I see now, and it's even unrecognisable from the last time I was there (in 2005). A place like Gurgaon (or Dwarka, NOIDA etc) was unthinkable when I first visited. It's a time of great optimism for India, and well-founded too.

·
18,522 Posts
your last sentence is bullshit, but alas that's your opinion.

Raj Path = :eek2:
Well, an opinion can't be bull unless it is refuted with a fact as our preferences are merely subjective anyway!

I just felt that Singapore was a great place, but it was a little too rule obsessed and therefore a bit uptight. If I were to have a choice between Bangkok and Singapore I'd choose Bangkok anyday simply due to the variety, the chaos and the organic feel of the place.

Each to their own mate. :)

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
I am going to Singapore in 3 months (just staying overnight for planes from Brisbane to Paris) so I guess I won't see much, but it should look nice from the air anyway.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Thanks for the pics Dandaman, they were a good overview of the cities without going crazy. The pics from the ferris wheel in Singapore were great and that harbour sure is busy. I thinks its one of the busiest if not the busiest port in the world.

·
7,972 Posts
Love the pics of Delhi. Its been a very long time since I was last there, but I have fond memories. I would pick Delhi over Singapore anyday. Like Svartmetall said, Singapore really lacks that sort of organic craziness that you see in many Asian cities....it's really just like another Australian city, but with more strict laws.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
Singapore is so sterile and dead, I have been there a few times and I can honestly say it's pretty crap. beautiful yes but so overproduced.

I'd advise anyone wanting some fun and interest to head to KL instead.

·
2,450 Posts
Delhi looks AMAZING!
Love the old buildings...
Built in 1190?? :runaway:

been a while since I was there like 7 years ago...haha lol the airport sucks

Gurgaon is developing quite quickly! Looks somewhat like an Asian city-but not quite..needs some time!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
India can be a bit shocking with the poor/rich divide.

I liked Delhi, it was neigther as dingy nor psychotic as many of the other large Indians cities and has a decent assortment of historic stuff to walk arround. The Metro is fantastic for getting arround cheaply. I agree with Arunava is the most interesting part of the city is Old Delhi.

Singapore is....pretty? I transferred from 2 months in India to SE Asia via Singapore, and appreciated the supreme cleanliness for about 2 hrs, before becoming decidedly bored with it. Singapore is not an exciting destination.

BLUFFMASTER_Auckland said:
haha lol the airport sucks
I don't think there is an airport in India, even the new ones in Hyderabad and Mumbai, which doesn't suck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts