Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the forum needs a dedicated thread on the topic, as the taxi network is a transport system by itself which moves lacs of people everyday. Last mile connectivity still remains poor in India and perhaps this thread can track the developments on this area.

Starting of some news:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...des-get-smarter-fancier/article1-1247682.aspx

Kartik Mehta, a Delhi-based IT professional, prefers to use a cab rather than his own car to get around in the city for both personal and professional purposes. And these days he hails a cab not by making a call, but tapping a request button on an application on his smartphone.

Advertisement
Within 10 to 12 minutes, a chauffeur-driver cab, often a Mercedes Benz or an Audi, arrives at his chosen location. And when he reaches his destination, he does not have to pay. The fare is automatically deducted from his credit card registered with the cab company.

“The good thing is that I do not have to call anybody and worry about whether the driver is willing to go where I need to go,” said Mehta.

Mehta is referring to Uber, an app-based cab service with operations in 160 cities across the globe, which launched its services in Delhi in December.

But Uber is more a technology company than a cab service. It does not own any cabs and does not employ any drivers. It is essentially an aggregator, which matches demand with supply.

It signs on thousands of car owners in the cities in which it operates and uses its technology backbone to book rides, depending on the type of car the customer wants.

Its revenue model: it charges the individual providing the cab a part of the fare. Its USP: the screening it subjects potential cab owners to, giving customers the comfort of a safe ride.

“When we launched our service, most of our customers were young, tech-savvy people, but now, people of varied age groups and backgrounds are using them. A big chunk are women,” said Gagan Bhatia, general manager, Uber Delhi.

In the past couple of years, several such new-age cab companies, such as Ola Cabs, Taxi for Sure and Taxi Pixi , have arrived in the city, bringing a whole new commuting experience to Delhiites.

Over the last three years, the number of radio cabs in the city has gone up three times from 2,200 to 6,500. Besides, there are 5,755 economy radio cabs in Delhi-NCR as well. The city also boasts of a taxi service exclusively for women and by women.

“Unlike other taxi companies, we do not do any branding on our cabs. The idea is to make our customers feel that they are riding in their personal, chauffeur-driven cars, which could be anything from a Toyota Corolla Atlis to a Mercedez Benz E-class,” said Bhatia.

Technology plays a huge role in the success of these companies. “Of the 7,000 booking requests we get every day, about 50% come through mobile apps,” said Anand Subramanian, director, marketing communications, Ola Cabs.

As Delhiites take to new cabs, it seems to be the end of the road for black and yellow taxis, all Ambassadors. Their number has come down from 10,000 in 2010 to about 3,000 today. A lot of their customers are foreigners for whom a ride in an Amby is an essential “India experience”.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ates-may-follow-suit/articleshow/45422946.cms

NEW DELHI: Online taxi-hailing service Uber has been banned from operating its services in Delhi and looks set to face speedbumps in other Indian cities, dealing a crippling blow to its ambitions in the country after its reputation for passenger safety was left shattered by revelations that the driver accused of raping a passenger was a serial offender.

Late on Monday, the Delhi Transport Department issued a public notice saying only Mega Cabs, Meru Cabs, Easy Cabs, Chanson, Yo Cabs and ..

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there a trustworthy taxi-hailing app in Dehli then? I've heard that there are projects for mobile app development to let women report their live location in the taxi so that her family n friends can keep an eye on...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good idea - wonder why it was not implemented earlier!

http://chronicledaily.com/2015/12/05/bike-hailing-app-newbies-baxi-m-taxi-auto-rental-startup/

Summary: Deputy commissioner T L Satyaprakash flagged off two bike taxi services, M-Taxi and Baxi Taxi, on Monday evening at the mini secretariat. "I am certain of exponential growth of M-TAXI", said Jairaj. Started by Ashutosh Johri and Manu Rana, Baxi will offer affordable last-mile connectivity to offices, colleges, schools and residential areas, from metro and bus stations. Ventures.

Dominant players in the inter-city commuting segment are Ola and Uber, which have also started a carpooling service. The company is taking a 360 degree approach to safety. Uniformed and trained riders come armed with helmets, disposable caps, wet wipes, and insurance coverage against accidents (for both the rider and the passenger). Cuuently, the company is setting up in-house Emergency response team, but it will also partner with some hospitals across the city. The Bike Taxi is looking to get over 500 Baxis in Gurgaon in the next 3 months. The startup will provide all the details of its riders to the RTA and they will also be getting police verification and ID cards. They will be given training on defensive driving, soft skills and customer handling. For this reason, they plan to again raise a sizeable next round of investment in the $25-30 million range. It will also use technology to monitor all the riders on different parameters like speed, safety and locations. Two wheeler taxi services are already popular in many countries across the world, like New York, London, Paris, Indonesia, Thailand, Nigeria & Uganda. The startup is planning to have more than 500 Baxis in next three months in Gurgaon. Chronicle Daily
http://chronicledaily.com/2015/12/05/bike-hailing-app-newbies-baxi-m-taxi-auto-rental-startup/

·
Banned
5 Posts
I still don't understand as why App based taxi are given more importance then other alternate methods. I have used almost even App & non-app based taxi firms. The fact is that India is a big market and the App companies are making huge money.

I mean in Delhi Uber and Ola are now using surcharging feature which one gets to pay like a $ per km.

I believe that an ideal transport system is that which local government can introduce (by improving the older one) is the only solution to proper system and a private App based firm cares ZERO for a proper system which is good for us and the environment.

But since most of us don't care or think outside of our comfort Delhi is never going to have a proper transport system.

If someone is interested to dig deep on this issue then check out the transport system in France which is ideal.

Regards,'
Pratap Singh

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was recently in Delhi, and used Uber and Ola often. I was pleasantly surprised at how reliable and inexpensive the service was. I even managed to get a taxi at 4am, when I was least expecting to. So all in all, it is completely transformative from my perspective.

As regards surge pricing, I think it is completely justified, and it is just a question of time before people get comfortable with the idea. This is no different from how airlines price their fares. Fact is, if the pricing levels are attractive, more and more cars / drivers will join the service, and reduce the "surge".

For all those complaining about surge pricing, they always have the alternative of using the Black & Yellow taxis that Delhi still has.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Jugnoo Auto Service

I recently shifted from chandigarh to noida.. There is a huge difference between the two cities.. Former is well organized, well-planned, follow proper law and order and the later is only a chaos, nothing else.. Nobody follows traffic rules...they are just running here and there, making their and others life miserable.. :bash:

A 6 sitters auto rikshaw driver fills up his auto with 12 people and move forward his destination only when the auto is filled. It's really difficult to breath inside the auto for everyone but no one complaints, because everyone has to rush to their respective places...NO POLICE MAN or TRAFFIC POLICE dare to stop these rikhaw walas and ask for chalan..

But, in chandigarh police play their role very nicely..In Noida I have not seen a proper traffic management yet...People leave out their homes with the risk of their lives..

Where is Noida polics..where is Noida's traffic police...Noida has become a hell for living...pollution+traffic jams+inflation+poor law and order=hell for living...:eek:hno:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts