SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, time to make own thread for this theme.

Let´s start with two sad examples from Helsinki:

Before:

After:

Before:
image is too large to post, so click here!

After:

"Sausage house" (note the huge beton "sausage";))

I have a book with dozens of good images of demolished buildings in helsinki, but I´m too lazy to scan them right now.. ;)

Feel free to show demolished buildings in your city!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Some from Vilnius.

Dominikonu street (part of it really was destroyed by soviets)

Before

After (sorry i don't have any normal photo from this point ;))

As you can see some commieblocks was inserted between old buildings :(

One more

Before

After

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
In Oslo a couple of years ago(belive it was in 2000) they demolished one of Oslos first high-hise buildings, Phillipsbygget(47 metres tall) in a huge media event with 10.000 spectators cheering....

(c) www.melhus.com

and they erected this:

KPMG-huset, with 18 floors and 62 metres.
A huge improvement if you ask me :)
(Couldn't find a nicer looking picture in my archive atm..)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jape - Good thing you started this thread! :) Yes, I can see that Helsinki and Stockholm are the same in this sense. ("replacement" of older buildings) Too bad. If you're gonna demolish the older buildings there should a better reason than this. Like high rise projects for more office and residential space, not this crap. No more space and certainly not more aesthetic!

Good examples of cities where this didn't happen woud be Riga and Prauge, as far as i know. Never visited any of them so I'm just guessing from the pics I've seen.

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
They blew it up:):):)
Controlled Demolition Group did the job.
(Explosives are fun:))

For pictures: search for "Phillipsbygget" on Google image search

But because I'm such a nice person and this is the first night of my 3 month vacation, here's another for your enjoyment..

(c)Dagbladet

·
Banned
281 Posts
After 3rd partition (1795) of Commonwealth (Poland-Lithuania), russian empress Yekaterina order to destroy simbols of once powerfull country, so Lower Castle, defence wall with 9 gates, few churches (some were rebuilt into orthodox) brought down, monasterys were turned into baracks and then some of them eventually destroyed, heres just two gates which were destroyed

Trakai gate

Subaciaus gate
only an old drawing left

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts

·
Member #109
2,716 Posts
Cool thread. :)

Here are a few from Herning:

Built in 1900:

(© Atelier Moderne V/ P.M. Pedersen)

Torn down in 1969 and replaces with this:

(© Mikael Lyk Madsen)

And here we have the old rail station, from 1906:

(© Unknown)

Replaced with this one, the new one is from 1977:

(© Mikael Lyk Madsen)

A hotel from 1925:

(© S. P. Sørensen, London Bazaren)

Replaced with this hotel from 1988:

(© Mikael Lyk Madsen)

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
:bash: :bash: :bash:

O what a sad thread! :cry:

Thank you for opening it, though, Jape :eek:kay: and thanks to all who contribute casualties here.

Maybe there is a chance to learn for the future. :)

·
3:36
2,838 Posts
i can't find any pictures.... =(

... but like all cities, tallinn misses some of its pearls as well... i can't say there have been demolitions just to make room for more modern buildings (maybe only our old song festival stage, demolished to be replaced by a bigger one).

damage to old buildings was done in march 1944 when the soviet airforce bombed tallinn (thanks!!!!). we lost many buildings that would've been landmarks nowadays... lots of buildings in the old town were in ruins. only the most imortant ones were rebuilt - st.nicholas' church, town hall, national theatre... old residential buildings were replaced by soviet monsters. even in the old town.

this was our old song festival stage in kadriorg:

its architect was karl burman.

was replaced by this in the 60's:

can't find good pics!!!

eesti kutid!!! - kui keegi leiab pildi karl burmani kalevi seltsi klubihoonest siis jumala eest, postitage! ja kui leiate muud huvitavat, siis ka! onju :)

·
Banned
503 Posts
pablonis said:
After 3rd partition (1795) of Commonwealth (Poland-Lithuania), russian empress Yekaterina order to destroy simbols of once powerfull country, so Lower Castle, defence wall with 9 gates, few churches (some were rebuilt into orthodox) brought down, monasterys were turned into baracks and then some of them eventually destroyed, heres just two gates which were destroyed
They should rebuild the wall.....

·
3:36
2,838 Posts
geex - the project was bought by lithuanians after the building was finished in tallinn.

EDIT : [or was it just given...??? the soviet 'leaders' thought that this was a good project and decided that vilnius should have it too. you know, we're all brothers in the soviet union and we share. the architect, estonian alar kotli, was really pissed and sad that his greatest work was plainly duplicated... it was the last work he ever did, he died soon after.]

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
pablonis said:

Trakai gate
To dzwonnica kościoła franciszkanów, a nie brama Trocka, Panie Napływowy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts