SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some of my pictures from the demolition that occured earlier this morning.

Suprisingly crowds showed up to watch the show on a rainy sunday morning

There was so much dust that you could barely see Crabtree

Check this thread later today...I took a video of the actual demolition. I am currently uploading it but, it should be read to view later today. :cheers:

Ok here is the video I took while the demolition was actually happening
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2725513

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see you had a pass to see the show flash!

I tried to see if I got there early if I could get ontop of the parking deck but a police officer told me I had to turn around. :(

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Kip, MANY thanks for the wonderful photos :eek:kay: Glad to know that you were there to provide us with a different angle. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of people that were present, not to mention the number of kids that witnessed this "explosive" event with their parents :lol:

Matt, your photos turned out very nice :eek:kay: You got a very good spot, I must admit. My photos turned out nice, too, and I will post them later; let people view what has been posted already. The new lens worked at least as well as I expected, but the real test will be the evening skyline shots ;) Anyway, you did a lot of work, at the speed of light, and I congratulate you for that. Loved the Weather Channel umbrella, BTW.

On a positive note, I overheard people saying how excited they are about Soleil Center 1. A new era has begun for North Raleigh and I applaud those who have the vision to think big and elegant.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was actually disappointed in my photo sequence for the fact that I manually set my exposure several minutes before the detonation, and during the elapsed time before the buiding fell, it got slightly brighter outside, meaning that each photo was overexposed to a degree. I guess thats what happens when you do photos and video at the same time in the rain, you manage to neglect something. I could have left the camera on aperture priority or even auto mode, but I didnt want a chance for exposure variance during the implosion.

I think the video came out ok though. I wish I had several more cameras so I could zoom in on parts of the building to get more detail.

Anyway I look forward to your photos Ernest, and thanks for letting us tag along.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
^^
You are welcome. And don't be harsh on yourself. Always remember that monitors have different Gamma adjustments, which means that they appear lighter on your LCD monitor than they would in a wide variety of other monitors out there. In fact, your photos look wonderful in my flat panel, and the details are all clearly visible :eek:kay:

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I don't think that my images will show anything you haven't seen yet, but let me share with y'all some of my photos.

Everything is ready for the implosion:

Who says there is no pedestrian activity in Crabtree Valley? People were everywhere :lol:

What's wrong with this picture? Those of you familiar with the Celsius scale, please try to figure out how mid-to-upper 50's can equal 49 degrees in Celsius :bash:

This is the last time you see this building standing:

Notice the dust coming out of the middle floors, to the left:

It is downhill from this point on...

Another eyesore bytes the dust:

Ashes to ashes...

... dust to dust,

if a building is ugly...

... then destroy it we must!!!

As a side note, this 3-story building is planned to be replaced by a 10-story midrise... The so-called Creedmoor Towers project:

I could not capture any X-Files type of images, so I will settle for The Fog.

Hope you guys liked the photos, not that they show anything special. I think that ralex231 and Flash covered the event pretty well :eek:kay: Still, it will be nice to share our work with others, so post your photos, don't be shy.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I am not sure 100%, but it will take 6-8 weeks to clear the site and I assume that construction will begin sometime in September. It will take 2.5 years to complete this project; you will be here by then ;)

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Nice to see that bland building go down for a much better, taller tower!
Also good to see that the 3 story building will be replaced with a 10 story building.:)
Good times for Raleigh.:)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
yes its about time. Im glad to see Raleigh will finally break the 30 story mark with the new tower. It will be among the state's tallest.

I see DH Griffin of Greensboro was responsible for the demolision.

·
Daddyrabbit
258 Posts
Raleigh-NC said:
^^
You are welcome. And don't be harsh on yourself. Always remember that monitors have different Gamma adjustments, which means that they appear lighter on your LCD monitor than they would in a wide variety of other monitors out there. In fact, your photos look wonderful in my flat panel, and the details are all clearly visible :eek:kay:
They looked perfect thru my monitor too. Great pic's

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the pictures Raleigh-NC, I really enjoyed them!
I especially liked "Ashes to Ashes...Dust to Dust...If a building is ugly....The Destroy it We must!" :lol:

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
nice pics y'all.

Columbia also took down an old fugly hotel last used as offices for USC professors (better looking than this one, IMO, but with a horribly inefficient floor plan.)

unlike Raleigh though, it'll be replaced by midrises as part of USC's downtown research campus. which could be good or bad, probably ultimately good.

-

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
ralex231 said:
By the way Raleigh-NC..I can see myself in one of your pictures :lol:
If I only knew, I would have pulled out the 70-300mm lens and posted your photo here :lol:

Thanks y'all for the positive comments on this demolition. I do not anticipate another similar one in the nearest future, so try to enjoy these photos as much as possible ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts