SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Wow, look at all of those parking lots. Now density what so ever, makes me sick.

:mad2: :mad2: :wallbash:

:sarcasm:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Yes, that is a ghastly number of parking lots, I've never seen so many full blocks taken entirely for parking. Denver is a great city, but imagine how much more it could (used to?) have.

·
Front Range expatriate
1,046 Posts
That photo is of the East end of downtown, and there are a lot of parking lots there. It is far more dense to the West and North (off to the right in this picture), with more underground parking. And, quite a few downtown parking lots have proposals for highrise development.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Great city! I was in Denver, CO last summmer and stayed at the Executive Tower Hotel downtown. I could walk to anywhere from that location......the 7-11, Performing Arts Complex, etc.

Nice city. :)

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Yea, I'm sure that Buffalo, an older declining Northeast city, has torn down a much larger share of its downtown for parking as opposed to Denver. Sady, downtown Buffalo has become a virtual sea of parking lots! By contrast, Denver has built many billions of dollars of new development downtown over the past decade. Unlike Buffalo, Denver has a very successful mostly pedestrian downtown mall. And its has big plans for extension of the light rail & mass transit system.

·
Registered
128 Posts
bayviews said:
Yea, I'm sure that Buffalo, an older declining Northeast city, has torn down a much larger share of its downtown for parking as opposed to Denver. Sady, downtown Buffalo has become a virtual sea of parking lots! By contrast, Denver has built many billions of dollars of new development downtown over the past decade. Unlike Buffalo, Denver has a very successful mostly pedestrian downtown mall. And its has big plans for extension of the light rail & mass transit system.
that's crazy considering Buffalo is a NE city. I wouldn't have expected as many parking lots as Denver.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
bayviews said:
Yea, I'm sure that Buffalo, an older declining Northeast city, has torn down a much larger share of its downtown for parking as opposed to Denver...
I can't compare that because I don't know how much Denver has done in relation to what Buffalo has. Yes, Buffalo has torn down far more in the name of parking than they should have. Not so much in the core itself, but around the perimeter.

But either that picture is non-representative (which I'm hoping is the case), or Denver has more full city block parking lots than I have ever seen anywhere. It almost makes it looks as though there are no mid-rises, just parking lots and skyscrapers with nothing in between. Does Denver still have a large stock of 3-5 story, older, mid-rise structures throughout downtown, just not in the area pictured here? You know what I mean, the types of buildings that set up all your streetscapes and such.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
That looks better by far. Not a whole lot of mid-rises, but enough high-rises to boot.

What is that "jumble" under construction at lower center?

·
Globetrekker
1,131 Posts
There's a lot of parking lots, but there's also a lot of condos going up everywhere. I was in downtown a few weeks ago and many of the parking lots are now fenced off with signs and pictures of new buildings that are planned to be built, so I am glad that they're finally starting to fill in the gaps left by those awful parking lots. But in a way, they also help because it's a good advantage to us at the architecture school. My final project dealt with using one of those empty parking lots (The one right behind the convention center) to design a new building. Not a highrise, but still convienient because we were able to actually use a real life site to visit and survey, making it easier to envision and design something. :)

The city is also starting to look really good at pedestrian level. The 16st street mall really helped boost other areas around downtown to brush up their look and be more pedestrian friendly. I also love the backdrop of the Rockies, but my favorite angle for the skyline is looking east when driving on 1-25 near the 6th Ave/Colfax exits, especially at night. I'll try to take some snapshots next time I'm driving down that way.

·
Globetrekker
1,131 Posts
Heh, I was looking through an old photobucket account and found some pictures I took about two years ago. There are some street shots from the mall and various areas around it.

And this one is taken from the west side up in the foothills in the suburb of Lakewood. Unfortunately, Denver doesn't have any lack of sprawl, but I was surprised with how green the whole metro area looked. A lot more than I expected.

A long range shot.

Up a little closer.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Downtown is great but once out of the city core Denver is one of the ugliest places that I've ever seen. I've spent a lot of time there and don't care for it at all. I do LOVE the bear at the convention center, the library is cool and the capitol building is nice, especially inside but the houses and neighborhoods are god awful and junky.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts