NFL

Denver Broncos

3x Champion:
1997, 1998, 2015

Home of NFl team Denver Broncos
BUT
first the old stadium
1948-2001 76,273

old and new (old one is already demolished)

new one
opened 2001

@ my American friends:
Will post more college stadiums tomorrow. No time because of EURO 2008 :d

Reactions: geometarkv

·
Unregistered User
2,586 Posts
i saw my first football game at the old Mile High, too bad its gone:cry:

·
Registered
34,654 Posts
If the new field would have been a complete bowl, this one would be even more stunning. I really like the three tier design. Covered stands would also be nice, but I do not know how often it rains in Denver.
Here in Europe new stadiums without covered stands are no option. But for the US it might work well. But the basic design and the atmosphere the stadium expresses are very nice.

·
Geaux Tigers
15 Posts
Thanks for the old pics of Mile High, I never really noticed it when I was younger. And those seats on the edge of the horeshoe look scary lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
If the new field would have been a complete bowl, this one would be even more stunning. I really like the three tier design. Covered stands would also be nice, but I do not know how often it rains in Denver.
This is another design trait that was shaped by tradition. As you can see the old Mile High Stadium was a horseshoe and there was public sentiment to keep it as such. Even in the naming, the team looked for revenue by selling the naming rights, but there was a public outcry at not using the 'Mile High' name... so again a compromise... Invesco Field @ Mile High.

There isn't really a worry about rain since they get over 300 days of sunshine a year. Potentially snow, but the team relishes that as part of their home field advantage over teams not accustomed to it.

·
Top Gear is back!
125 Posts
That would pretty much be a giant Emirates. Similar wavy top tier. That would look good, but not really hailing from the previous stadium.

·
Registered
28,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in the first pic of the old one
it looks like camp nou :D

I like both ones
new one has got 106 suites

any pics of section plans etc?

·
Registered
34,654 Posts
That would pretty much be a giant Emirates. Similar wavy top tier. That would look good, but not really hailing from the previous stadium.
I did not know that there was such sentiment about the horseshoe design. Obviously you need to take the sentiments of the fans into account when designing a new stadium.

There is no or little point in designing a stadium which has a hard time convincing the fans and the club. Such feelings are very strong and can make a team and the fans feel less happy with the new venue then they could be. It would automatically "give away" a part of the home game advantage.

Even without being it a complete bowl (which I personally would prefer) I like this stadium very much!

·
Unregistered User
2,586 Posts
i think that some aspects of american stadiums that many people dont realize is that the sidelines are the best place to watch the game and that if american stadiums with just sideline seats expanded all the way around they would be too big. In Invesco's case, not only was the horseshoe shape important, but it just makes the most sense to build. If you can build a 70k+ seat stadium with minimal endzone seats, why wouldnt you?

·
Registered
28,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i've wathed the Superbowl this year (GIIAAATNS :D )
my first American Football match
and i have to say
You can watch this game only at the sidelines.
How can you wath this at the endzone stands?
Or you need a very vey very big screen

·
Unregistered User
2,586 Posts
i've wathed the Superbowl this year (GIIAAATNS :D )
my first American Football match
and i have to say
You can watch this game only at the sidelines.
How can you wath this at the endzone stands?
Or you need a very vey very big screen
true, unlike soccer, where the ball moves up and down the field constantly, American football has the play moving one way for a long period of time. If you have endzone seats and the players are all the way on the other side of the field its not very fun to watch

·
Registered
28,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One feature of the old Mile High Stadium that the new Invesco can't match is the ability to host a larger baseball field configuration. See how they used to move an entire three-tiered stand back to accommodate the larger field:

wwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Never seen this before
and did not know that
thats so crazy

en
yes, i think therefore most NFL stadiums have got big screens

·
Unregistered User
2,586 Posts
One feature of the old Mile High Stadium that the new Invesco can't match is the ability to host a larger baseball field configuration. See how they used to move an entire three-tiered stand back to accommodate the larger field:

heres a little fact: the old mile high stadium was originally built as a minor league baseball stadium

you can see the original layout in the picture

·
Unregistered User
2,586 Posts
heres some more old mile high baseball pics

to move the seats back to form the outfield water was pumped underneath the stands, creating a sheet of water and allowed the stands to move

·
Registered
28,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so they added a 2nd and 3rd tier?

do you have more pics the the old stadium (not the old old one :D )

1 - 20 of 168 Posts