Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DePaul University cannot compete in the Big East Conference without an " On Campus Home Arena". On campus sites will have to include areas that may not be contiguous to either the Loop or Lincoln Park sites.
On Campus Arena will need to be accessable to students via CTA rail and or CTA bus. Extra pioints for walking distance to LP campus. Site will need to accomodate an arena that seats 10,500-14,000 including boxes and suites. Site will also need ample parking even considering transit access.

At least in this thread, no discussion about current, past, future coaches, players or admin. This is a real estate site inquiry.

Where can this arena be located?

Kingsbury & Weed:
Waterfront locale in trendy hood, walking distance to campus.

CMH site:
Will be available in a few years, very expensive teardown. Will need probably need multi use to recoup investment. Best location.

Riverview Park:
Off the path, tight site, could be part of a Park District cooperative effort.

<

·
Registered
343 Posts
Finkl and Sons will be moving to the south side next year. Plenty of room for a large arena (United Center could fit on that site). Easy walk from the Armitage brown line (.4 mi). Clybourn red line is little over half a mile. Metra UPN and UPNW stop at Clybourn and Elston is a quarter mile west. Kennedy Expy is a quarter mile west. The planned Bloomington Trail ends at the site. Campus is a half mile northeast of the site. In addition to there being space for a stadium, there would be plenty of room for a parking garage.

·
Registered
311 Posts
^^^ If Depaul were to build an arena I think that would probably be the best site. It would also connect Lincoln Park and Bucktown. Right down there is sort of a dead zone between the two neighborhoods.

You have the Armitage bus and a Brown line stop isn't too far away.

Anyone ever notice the tracks that start at Diversey and goes into Finkl and Sons? Maybe it was used to transport materials back in the day. But that could also be used on game days by a bus or trolley to get people to the games.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
1 - I would go with the CHM site. It is right off campus, is served by three bus routes, .25 miles from Red Line, already has a ready go parking garage plus great pre/post game dining options. The only downside compared to the others is that is smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood and I would anticipate residents having very loud opinions, opposition, micro-management about the prospect of a 10-15k arena. Also I would figure it to be the most expensive option save the already built parking.

2 - Kingsbury/Weed. Interesting idea. Nice potential riverfront site but is the plot large enough? A quick L for most students and about a .25 mile walk from Clybourn Station. The area has multiple parking garages for fans that drive. Like the CHM has good pre/post entertainment options right outside.

3 - Finkl Site. Would be cool to develop a river spot but it doesn't have ready to go parking and is near but not right next to any transit on winter nights (Metra .35 miles, Brown Line .5 mile). The Armitage Bus would sure as heck get busy on game days though but that is expecting much out of one bus route.

4 - Riverview Park. Another nice change to build along the river but easily the worse in terms of transit. The only PT are Belmont and Addison buses which wouldn't do much for most of the students.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm under the impression the Finkl site is a planned manufacturing district which I thought meant it had to stay industrial. Maybe not. Not a bad location otherwise.
Currently yes, they've been tossing around the idea of changing that though. I think if a DePaul arena were a reality, they'd alter the district quickly.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Finkl site would be great. The site would develop as a new gateway to DePaul hood. Probably the least amount of nimby interference. The could be very dramatic transformation, could also extend water taxi service 6 mo/year. Large amount of land would invite a great mixed use opportunity.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I know we are just talking here, but is there any indication that this would EVER happen? As a DePaul alumni, I really really doubt it. The basketball team just doesn't get enough support from the athletic department as it is, I can't see them spending money on a basketball arena. The basketball program is being run like a Division 2 program as it is. Maybe if a new athletic director comes around, but I still think the powers that be would rather keep status quo.

The only way I see an arena gets built is if there is a very generous alumni donation specifically intended for an arena, but it would have to be a pretty sizable donation to build an arena in the vicinity of Lincoln Park.

I better get working for that promotion I'm hoping for :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ that comment brings up the whole Administration discussion. Their mindest is impossible to comprehend. Right now they are a second division team that is a joke in the Big East. They amount to nothing more than a good scrimmage opponenet in the Big East. In fact their Rosemont location is favorable for the visiting team. A convenient flight into OHare, easy bus ride to a nearby hotel, then a juant to the arena to play a jv team in a lifeless venue. It is harder for the student and alumni fans to get to rosemont than it is for the visitors. Thus, my assumption that it is futile to be in the Big East without an "on campus" arena. If the alumni base gets fired up about the 'progress' of the program then it can happen.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I know we are just talking here, but is there any indication that this would EVER happen? As a DePaul alumni, I really really doubt it. The basketball team just doesn't get enough support from the athletic department as it is, I can't see them spending money on a basketball arena.
HAH. I know...when I went to DePaul they literally gave tickets away for free because attendance was so poor. Sports and athletics just isn't a big part of DePaul like it is for other major universities.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Put an arena close to campus and the fans will come. Not much motivation for a college kid to travel out to O'hare to see a game that his/her team will likely lose.

Allstate Arena is about 12 miles from DePaul campus. Go onto Google Earth, look up your college and use the ruler to do a twelve mile radius of your campus. Would you have gone to any games as a student if you had to travel that far? I know I wouldn't have.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Put an arena close to campus and the fans will come. Not much motivation for a college kid to travel out to O'hare to see a game that his/her team will likely lose.

Allstate Arena is about 12 miles from DePaul campus. Go onto Google Earth, look up your college and use the ruler to do a twelve mile radius of your campus. Would you have gone to any games as a student if you had to travel that far? I know I wouldn't have.
To DePaul's credit, they do send about 15-20 free shuttle buses from the Lincoln Park campus and the Loop campus to all home games at all state. The bus rides are rather fun if you happen to get on one with true DePaul fans there and not one that's essentially a drunk bus (although those can be fun too :))

But I agree, it sucks to have to travel 30 minutes each way, sometimes on school nights, to watch your crappy basketball team play Texas State or something (in non conference play) in an arena devoid of any atmosphere.

·
Registered
478 Posts
HAH. I know...when I went to DePaul they literally gave tickets away for free because attendance was so poor. Sports and athletics just isn't a big part of DePaul like it is for other major universities.
It's so disappointing though because unlike a lot of teams, they have real history and tradition due to the teams success in the late 70's/early 80's. For a team that's basically invisible in Chicago, they are synonymous with one of Chicago's bigger sports icons, Ray Meyer, and one of if not the best basketball player of his era, George Mikan.

·
Registered
478 Posts
^ that comment brings up the whole Administration discussion. Their mindest is impossible to comprehend. Right now they are a second division team that is a joke in the Big East. They amount to nothing more than a good scrimmage opponenet in the Big East. In fact their Rosemont location is favorable for the visiting team. A convenient flight into OHare, easy bus ride to a nearby hotel, then a juant to the arena to play a jv team in a lifeless venue. It is harder for the student and alumni fans to get to rosemont than it is for the visitors. Thus, my assumption that it is futile to be in the Big East without an "on campus" arena. If the alumni base gets fired up about the 'progress' of the program then it can happen.
What you said makes a lot of sense. I know DePaul is focusing a lot on its academic reputation, and obviously that's very fair. For instance, I read the other day that they are building a residence hall, academic building and a hotel (?!) at the northwest corner of Fullerton/Sheffield (formerly the plaza where Blockbuster used to be). Obviously this would be an AMAZING space for an arena to be built, but you can't fault them at all for building academic buildings there.

If someone donated them the money, an arena would move way up on the priority list. But since it's probably not going to happen, they will be in Rosement for the foreseeable future.

It sucks too because with an arena on campus, I'm almost certain we would be able to compete a lot better with Big East schools in terms of recruiting. We could have a great college basketball program in Chicago. LA has USC and UCLA, Washington has Georgetown and George Washington, Philly has Temple and Villanova, Boston has Boston College, Miami has Miami U, Minneapolis has UM, Milwaukee has Marquette, etc etc etc. Chicago has DePaul, Loyola, UIC and Northwestern. Blah.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
^^ ^^That point and also the new TCF stadium being built in Minneapolis also makes me think of the lack of football programs among the city schools. Perhaps it is just not a priority to have football teams but I think it would be cool if UIC, Loyola, and De Paul did have football programs.

I don't think Soldier Field would be an option so building a new stadium would have to likely be done but perhaps a stadium could be shared among the two or three. Potentially it could come from a scaled down post Olympic stadium (if it was moved) or a new 20-40k stadium. Perhaps the cooperation to make it happen would never work but I would love to see some college football played within the city limits and those three schools are big enough to warrant programs if they so chose.

·
Registered
343 Posts
^^ ^^That point and also the new TCF stadium being built in Minneapolis also makes me think of the lack of football programs among the city schools. Perhaps it is just not a priority to have football teams but I think it would be cool if UIC, Loyola, and De Paul did have football programs.

I don't think Soldier Field would be an option so building a new stadium would have to likely be done but perhaps a stadium could be shared among the two or three. Potentially it could come from a scaled down post Olympic stadium (if it was moved) or a new 20-40k stadium. Perhaps the cooperation to make it happen would never work but I would love to see some college football played within the city limits and those three schools are big enough to warrant programs if they so chose.
I don't know why Soldier Field wouldn't be an option. The Gophers used the Metrodome until this season. Temple plays in Lincoln Financial Field. Tulane plays in the Superdome. Tennessee State uses LP Field. South Florida uses Raymond James Stadium.

IF UIC or even DePaul wanted a football program, I think Soldier Field would be option #1.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
http://www.csnchicago.com/ncaa/news...ld-new-arena-land-C?blockID=677786&feedID=630

DePaul looking to build new arena, land Chicago area stars

March 27, 2012

DePaul University, seeking to continue upgrading its men’s basketball program, has developed a strategic plan that involves building a new arena near the school’s Lincoln Park campus. The plan requires approval from the university’s board of trustees and will be on the agenda for its May meeting.

If approved it will allow the university to hire the necessary consultants to prepare a feasibility study, which is the first step in planning the construction of an arena that is expected to seat between 10,000-12,000 fans. There are two parcels of land that have long been rumored as potential sites for a new DePaul arena including the Finkl Steel property which is walking distance from the DePaul campus. Also on the potential list of sites is a property that has housed the Morton Salt Company on Elston Avenue near both the Kennedy Expressway and the Chicago River.............

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aye carumba! It's all happening!

Halsted Street Bridge, Division Street Bridge will definitely enable fans to move in and out of these riverfront locations What other Infrastructure will be needed for the Morton or Finkle sites?

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
^^ Already an update to the story.

Though I like the idea of an arena sitting by the river if they can make the tight confines of the Fullerton and Sheffield spot work it would probably make a good deal more sense.

Literally right off campus. Right next to the L.

More to the DePaul basketball story.

DePaul University Plans to Build New Basketball Arena on Fullerton and Sheffield: Exclusive

Plan pending trustee approval

Updated: Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012, 2:48 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012, 10:29 PM CDT

By Joanie Lum, FOX Chicago News

Chicago - It's long been a desire of students and alumni to be able to attend basketball games near the campus.

FOX Chicago's Lou Canellis reports that the preferred location is Fullerton and Sheffield, where DePaul already has a parking lot.

That corner is steps away from the CTA Fullerton stop on the edge of campus. If it happens, would mean the influx of 10,000-12,000 fans coming to the neighborhood to attend a Blue Demons basketball game, in what already is considered a congested area.

It's part of the university's strategic plan, to bring the men's basketball team back to the city, after they played 32 seasons at the Allstate Arena, beginning in 1980, when Coach Ray Meyer took the Blue Demons to number one but the program hasn't had great success since the mid-1990s.

Supporters say new arena would attract better talent, making the program more competitive.

There were rumors about other locations: the Finkl Steel plant on Cortland and the Morton Salt Company on Elston.

The university did not have a comment about specific locations. But DePaul did send out a statement:

"A proposal to explore opportunities that address this... is among many ideas on a wide range of issues that are part of the current draft of the university's next long-range strategic plan. The strategic plan is pending trustee approval. The university has a great relationship with Allstate Arena, where the men's program has played the last 32 seasons and we most recently hosted the women's NCAA 1st and 2nd rounds this season."

The contract with Allstate Arena ends in 2015.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.