SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Has anyone saw this in the DT tonight? I know its about the flood defence but it says 3 office blocks and the NATWEST bank building will be demolished to make way for the flood defence and also Exeter house apartments will also be flatten(wonder what English Heritage and the Derby historic society will make of this?) BUT there will be 7 new taller office blocks built behind Stuart street along with the LANDMARK building and also the old Derby Telegraph building will be demolished and 4 more office blocks will be built here too for the employees of the other office blocks to be relocated.

This is big big news for the city center

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/derby-firms-nearly-470-staff-3811495

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just took a clip from the main story to let you guys know.

New buildings for businesses would be built on land to be safeguarded by the city’s new flood defences.

This land, between The Underpass and the River Derwent, would see seven large new buildings built.

Four would be built on what is currently Notts and Derby buses.

Several more would be built on the former Derby Telegraph offices in Meadow Lane, which have since been home to Storage4U, Bela Rugs and the Grand River Suite.

These new buildings would create 1,000 new jobs – half of which would be those to be moved from businesses set for demolition – and 1,000 homes, including the hundreds of apartments to be housed in The Landmark.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think the article is a bit misleading though.
The council report on the flood relief scheme is basically asking for a change to the existing scheme. In the original scheme those office buildings would remain but there would be open land between them and where the landmark will be built that would be open for flood water to pass through. They have now decided that it would be be better to demolish the office buildings and move the flood corridor towards the river which leaves more developable land behind it. They have merely indicated where future buildings could go if this change to the scheme goes ahead. It also shows the future value of these sites once the flood defences are built.
I think we would be getting ahead of ourselves if were to think that there are concrete plans to develop this area.
Not saying it wouldn’t be good if they were developed in this way though.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ok that's true Jelly Doz, but they have to relocate nearly 500 employees of these companies so im guessing there will be some new office buildings being built.

I dont know where you could find the old Derby CITYSCAPE website but they also had this area earmarked for development with the old DT building Exeter flats and Darwin car park so im guessing its just continuity of the older city center cityscape plans from 10 yrs ago?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes, as a minimum we need to keep those jobs in the city centre, hopefully be a catalyst for a sizeable office development area and we can start bringing other office jobs back from pride park.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts