1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unnamed major office development, Castleward area, Derby

Developer: Norseman Investments
Architects: TP Bennett
Features: Hotel and 400,000 sq ft of office space, with underground parking and central piazza. Building heights vary from nine to six storey.
Existing land use Ground car park and car showroom

Bear in mind there's no clear plans for this development as of yet, and current renders are subject to change. From my own personal viewpoint I welcome the redevelopment of such wasted land however I hope the design can be refined to have more frontage onto Traffic Street. I would prefer taller buildings too, in the region of 10 to 15 stories.

Then again its not what I think that counts :)

·
Registered Looser
99 Posts
Wow! I hope this project turns out good. I'd like to some some renders of it though when they are released to give us a better kind of idea of what it will look like. I agree that it would be nice it say there was 1 or 2 slightly taller buildings though.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Application is now on DCC's website, here are some renders. I can't determine the exact materials for the cladding nor can I find a height.

The tallest element is ten floors (though I think nine are used with the top being a service floor). The yellow tinted building with the vertical lines of windows is the Hotel.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Location on Flash Earth...

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.920215&lon=-1.469801&z=17.8&r=0&src=msl

Its pretty much a surface car park opposite the **** Pitt Car Park and Derby Playhouse. The **** Pitt is the rather unattractive 1990s brick car park with the green metal bits. I had a photograph of the site from the **** Pitt but alas I cannot find it.

The tallest bit would be to the northern tip of the site fronting onto the busy **** Pitt Junction. To the south eastern side is a car show room which will be redeveloped as part of the scheme.

·
Administrator
34,543 Posts
Application is now on DCC's website, here are some renders. I can't determine the exact materials for the cladding nor can I find a height.
post a link to the application, or details of how i can find it, and i'll take a look and tell you.

·
Administrator
34,543 Posts
ok... and the height of the tallest building, building one is 42m exactly if i scale up from the elevations at a3 size :) building 2 is 35 metres...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Further image from the BBC Derby site:

planning application for a new £150 million office development in Derby has been submitted to the City Council.

Derbyshire-based developer Norseman Investments is proposing a 400,000 sq ft office development on a three-acre site opposite Derby Westfield.

The massive complex would sit between Siddals Road and Copeland Street and could have the capacity to bring 4,000 new jobs into the city centre.

The development would be the largest ever office development to be built in the city and would aim to create a landmark central business district in the Castleward area of the city.

The complex, designed by London architects TP Bennett, is due to be considered by Derby City Council in January 2009.

If approved, construction work is planned to start in early summer 2009 and take two years to complete.

The plans centre on six buildings over an under-croft parking area set back from the road to incorporate tree planting, landscaping and improved pedestrian and cycle routes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/articles/2008/10/17/huge_office_development_2008_feature.shtml

1 - 11 of 11 Posts