SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for the pics danz. I like Derby, it has some nice old buildings and the people are very friendly, but it does have some big problems. The Centre is too stretched out for it's size and the Market Place is woefully underused. Hardly anyone lives in or near the centre which means it's often deserted between 6 and 9pm. And it really suffers from having Nottingham so close. There's a lot riding on the New Westfield shopping centre. Lets hope it's a success as you Notts lads are already too big for your boots :)

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Yuk. I do. The first photograph is unremittingly grim. The M&S bit looks marginally less objectionable - at least there appear to be some windows (maybe even - shock, horror! - a door??). The brick covered fascia with all the shop logos on it is really horrible. It's a brick wall with some logos on it. (And, is it just me, but is that Westfield marque not the most nasty dated (buit not retro!) logo in British retail?? Horrid.)

What's horrible about all these pictures is that there doesn't appear to be anyway to get into these structures on foot. They are big impermeable masses at the heart of the city centre. We in Nottingham have our own revolting impermeable mass in the heart of our city centre too (Westfield's Broadmarsh centre) but at least the rebuild there makes some attempt to reconnect some pedestrian movement through the space.

This looks like an out of town solution transported to a city centre. Completely alien to what is, as has been pointed out in other threads, a pleasant and sometimes historic compact, market town centre.

·
Robin Hood
5,168 Posts
What's horrible about all these pictures is that there doesn't appear to be anyway to get into these structures on foot. They are big impermeable masses at the heart of the city centre. We in Nottingham have our own revolting impermeable mass in the heart of our city centre too (Westfield's Broadmarsh centre) but at least the rebuild there makes some attempt to reconnect some pedestrian movement through the space.
Theres a walk-in entrance on every one of those images apart from the one before last.

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
It looks like the entrances have been added grudgingly - between brick walls, service entrys and ramps to the car park. Not very nice at all :(

I would like to think that we've moved away from this type of development in city centres - they don't look good, they don't fit in, they aren't pleasant to be around, and they attract lots of cars, but all too often they are allowed to be built.

From what i've seen, the new shopping centre (or is it centres?) in Nottingham are far better than this one, they appear to have windows and shops on the outside too - along with making some attempt to fit in.

·
Robin Hood
5,168 Posts
Entrance wise...they don't seem that badly placed to me... maybe you guys arent spotting entrances because most of them are all boarded up with colourful adds.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts