SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Moorways update

https://www.inderby.org.uk/active/f...x/designs-for-new-pool-submitted-to-planners/

Designs for new pool submitted to planners

Tue 20 Aug 2019

Derby City Council has submitted enhanced designs to planners for the new swimming pool complex to be built at the Moorways site in Derby. The designs have been extended to include a water park that features two four storey flumes. Changes to the exterior include a new dual tone silver to gold cladding that will shift in colour depending on the position of the sun.

Councillor Robin Wood, Cabinet Member for Leisure, Culture and Tourism, said:

“The submission of these latest designs to planners is a major step forward for the project. People are very excited to use the new facility and we are looking to deliver it as soon as possible.”

The pool complex will have a 50m pool with the flexibility to be divided into three separate 25m pools. In addition to the 50m pool and water park there will also be a learner pool that can be used for lessons and activities. A comprehensive health and fitness experience will be provided by a modern gym kitted out with the latest equipment, studios as well as sauna and steam rooms.

Within the water park the two four storey flumes will be complemented by England’s first wave generating Wowball and Waverider slide. There will also be an indoor water playground and beach area for younger visitors.

The complex will have a café with soft play, multi-use rooms and a large multi-use area fitted out with a family activity.

Derby City Council has approved £42 million in funding for the project that is expected to be completed in late 2021.

new pool complex external 2.jpgnew pool complex external 1.jpgWater Park image 1.jpgWater Park 2.jpg

·
Registered
895 Posts

Sorry Markie i know its another hotel but its an old 70s building been gutted out to make way for tiny and i mean tiny (as i have stayed in one of these hotels) Easyhotel. Don't think they will even spend half a million on turning it into a hotel.

Would have been better demolishing it and building new to go with what's happening around the corner in Duckworth Square.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well yes.. But it is better than current use. Once Duckworth is finished there would be more pressure to improve this area, especially if the University have also created they city hub by then.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree, it’s better than no use at all. At least they aren’t trying to patch up the old pennine hotel. That will presumably be demolished as part of the becketwell development.

Near to the proposed easy hotel, does anybody remember the Aruba bar from about 20-25 years ago? I remember it being quite a smart building back in the day but can’t say I’ve noticed it having a use since, I’d always hoped it might open as a bar again one day!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Probably showing my age but I think I knew it as Berlins - is that the same place?
Yes a cracking building , similar to the building opposite.
Hopefully increased residential in the area may be a catalyst for a new life for the building.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Probably showing my age but I think I knew it as Berlins - is that the same place?
Yes a cracking building , similar to the building opposite.
Hopefully increased residential in the area may be a catalyst for a new life for the building.
Yes those were exactly my thoughts, a few more residents and bit more foot traffic may see it come to life again, as it is a great building and as you say one or two more down there. I remember one of my friends talking about Berlins, but it was called Aruba by the time I was old enough to bit the bright lights of the Derby!
It was a pity it never reopened but probably just a little too far down Becket street away from Wardwick and when Derby declined, it disappeared.

But looking at the route up Becket street, easy hotel on the right, then turn left onto Macklin Street and the new Becketwell would be right there in front so should potentially be quite a busy area once more.:cheers1:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well yes.. But it is better than current use. Once Duckworth is finished there would be more pressure to improve this area, especially if the University have also created they city hub by then.

I know and your probably right guess its better than nothing happening at all? I too am showing my age with Berlins and would love to see this old building brought back into use as a pub/restaurant or some sort of entertainment arena?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Cale Street Investments, which already owned half of Intu Derby, has bought the remainder of the centre from the administrators. Work is under way to come up with a new name and the entire building will be rebranded within the next few months. It's the first intu centre to migrate to new management and ownership following the administration of the company in June.

A new management team has been put in place, headed up by Ken Ford who has over 40 years of experience in the sector, having led multiple town and city centre repositioning projects, with Savills managing the day-to-day running of the centre.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts