SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Derby Uni are looking at having more of a presence in the city centre. They have recently bought the car park on Ford Street opposite Friargate Square. This isn’t an actual planning application but an image showing what it might look like

·
Registered
895 Posts
Derby Uni are looking at having more of a presence in the city centre. They have recently bought the car park on Ford Street opposite Friargate Square. This isn’t an actual planning application but an image showing what it might look like

Saw this before in the DT a few months ago and think it would look immense, but i wonder if they would knock down the older student accommodation as it shows new buildings on Agard street?

·
Registered
731 Posts
This scheme is on the agenda at the planning committee this week - 71 student bed
Site of 8 – 14 Agard Street, Derby - been a long running saga, first application in 2015, the scheme has been altered and reduced in height, but now planning director recommends approval and conservation committee now don’t have any objections - so hopefully this one will now pass.

·
Registered
731 Posts
^^ rejected by councillors despite backing by planning officers - apparently due to pollution/ air quality issues.

Bizarre - this student scheme has no parking so none of the residents would own a car yet can’t be built because too many cars drive past and pollute the area ...

Yet the council have done ****all to tackle congestion and air quality in the area

·
Registered
895 Posts
^^ rejected by councillors despite backing by planning officers - apparently due to pollution/ air quality issues.

Bizarre - this student scheme has no parking so none of the residents would own a car yet can’t be built because too many cars drive past and pollute the area ...

Yet the council have done ****all to tackle congestion and air quality in the area

Exactly JellyDoz like i have said in another post on the main thread if i was a developer i would totally ignore Derby from now on as it has become a joke to get planning permission for these types of buildings.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That would be an over reaction - two other large student schemes got approved on this same road within the last 6 months - that is what is bizarre - no consistency

·
Registered
895 Posts
That would be an over reaction - two other large student schemes got approved on this same road within the last 6 months - that is what is bizarre - no consistency

No i don't think it would, Derby has had too many chances for apartments to be built and because they might be of a certain height or in a certain area of Derby (near the Cathedral) so they don't get the go ahead. With so much competition all around England and Europe you would think the DCC planners would give the go ahead to these developments, but they don't. Like i said if i was a developer i would give Derby a miss and look to cities who are more inviting to to developers and offering more chance of getting these developments up and running bring jobs and prosperity to our city

p.s. yes 2 other(would not say large) schemes were approved in the same st but as you know so may others have been refused or the developer has pulled the plug as too much red tape

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So The Croft student blocks in Cathedral Road are nearing completion:

DSC_1095 by Mark Jones, on Flickr

DSC_1094 by Mark Jones, on Flickr

DSC_1093 by Mark Jones, on Flickr

Now just need an apartment block for residence with a store on the bottom to replace the retail warehouse across the road and the car park at Willows needs to go, to create a public square - brings the willows bar outside as well.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just read the minutes of the Councils Conservation Committee from Derby - they had Derby University to present to them the Property Strategy of the University - They said the following.

”The Committee noted that the University hoped to move more into the City centre and create a student village feeling with the aim of making Derby feel more like a university town similar to Cambridge. A three hub model was planned with links between sites. Key considerations would be connectivity between the sites with routes that are safe for students and would take traffic off the road. There are numerous routes through the City but there was a need to make the public space more attractive to encourage local communities back in. The University would like to create an identifiable university brand and a sense of place in the city. It would like to establish a new mixed use Student Village and an enhanced enterprise zone for start up units and businesses. The Committee noted that a consultation was planned with the student body and academics about the 3 hub model and links between sites.“

I’m guessing the new city hub will be around Ford Street/Agard street where they own a lot of land.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just read the minutes of the Councils Conservation Committee from Derby - they had Derby University to present to them the Property Strategy of the University - They said the following.

”The Committee noted that the University hoped to move more into the City centre and create a student village feeling with the aim of making Derby feel more like a university town similar to Cambridge. A three hub model was planned with links between sites. Key considerations would be connectivity between the sites with routes that are safe for students and would take traffic off the road. There are numerous routes through the City but there was a need to make the public space more attractive to encourage local communities back in. The University would like to create an identifiable university brand and a sense of place in the city. It would like to establish a new mixed use Student Village and an enhanced enterprise zone for start up units and businesses. The Committee noted that a consultation was planned with the student body and academics about the 3 hub model and links between sites.“

I’m guessing the new city hub will be around Ford Street/Agard street where they own a lot of land.

This is great news hope it happens as the models of the plan look fantastic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts