SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd already started a thread for this one, der! For any football fans, this a stones throw from the away end of Pride Park

In the last image, you can see a small wooden fence with holes in it. This is one of the hides at Pride Park Bird Sanctuary, overlooking the Sand Martin bank, and area that attracts Whinchats and Little Ringed Plovers amongst others.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Wil...track-nature/story-19681626-detail/story.html

The plans for site include a 1.75 km, six-metre wide closed circuit for mamils to whizz around (at a price!). The developers said the sanctuary would not be affected. Sceptics wondered how this would be possible and have been proved right, as they now 'plan' to cut into the reserve. At the moment they're saying 10% would be lost, but given their track record it would not be surprising if it were (a lot) more. They also completely cocked up the car-parking before they even started

To paraphrase the football chant, I no longer think they don't know what they're doing. I expect they knew damm well that this would happen, and are now presenting it as a fait accompli to the council.

Of course, it could just be a slight oversight, by a some misfortunate property developers

Still looking forward to seeing what they do with the velodrome, but I think I'll be opposing the plans for the circuit in their current form

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,167 Posts
Well done Derby - it's good to see a major development happening outside of Nottingham for a change. Wish Leicester had the balls !

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Wow, coming on nicely already and looks pretty huge.

With Leeds arena opening recently too, seems as though pretty much all major cities in the UK have now got an arena, unless I'm missing anyone?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
True, although they've got plans for one which are quite far down the line.

In all seriousness, I think Leicester's hope are miniscule given the proximity now to not one but two sizeable arenas. Should concentrate on a Richard III interactive play palace instead, with robotic Richards delivering educational messages to under 12s through the medium of song.

·
10,754 Posts
Bristol recently lost its bid for funding for an arena.

There are more than two sizeable arenas near to Leicester. There are also facilities at Coventry and Birmingham. Rather than that being a stumbling block, I'd argue that if every other city in the Midlands has an arena, then Leicester should have one too.

The Richard III Arena perhaps?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Seeing as many arenas rely on some council funding, and the cutting of budgets, the close proximity to other arenas is not an advantage. I would argue The Ice arena would do better if it wasn't competing against more established arenas like Sheffield or Birmingham. If it didn't have the ice sports as part of it, it would probably not have been built.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Very impressive really, especially in this economic climate.

I'm not generally a fan of the 'out of town' type developments like Pride Park, but this will certainly add prestige to the area.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts