SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
These aluminium shingles look interesting.

But ... I have this nagging feeling that the end result will be cheap n' cheerful and not very durable in the long run.

Hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Went along to a little event That that Bowmer and Kirkland (the constructors) were holding there last week, and didn't realise they doing tours! Luckily for you, my camera's battery died almost upon entering, so there's only a few pics

View from Pride Park Way

One of the 'winking eyes'

Insulation going on under boards, then covered by membrame

Main stand holding 1500. The track is about 15 feet above the floor, where the badminton courts will be. The other side will have a small amount of seating, but will be mainly given over to offices, shops, retails units and a Gym. No seats at either end

Main end with the staging area above, which will be converted to a erm stage, for concerts etc. The area below will be for the workshops/prep area. There is a ramp leading up from these to the track level

Downsides - As a multisport/concert venue, the cycling side has suffered a little. The guide admitted that no world records would be set here, and it probably won't have the atmosphere of London or Manchester. He also wasn't too happy about the northside entrance

Upsides - nearly everything else. Was a bit blown away by the scale and quality, even at this early stage. The guide mentioned that they were thinking of going for something more golden and silvery to differentiate the 'medal' theme of the cladding, But decided against it as it may end up just looking a bit shiny and naff. Got the impression they had the resources and commitment to a quality building, inside and out. Fingers crossed for the shingles!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
So impressive!

I take the point about it not being the most sparkling velodrome in the world, but lets be fair, multi use is much more appropriate for Derby anyway.

They get a high quality (if not Olympic quality) velodrome, with multi sports use and a top concert venue which Derby lacks at the moment. Win win.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I drove to Derby yesterday. Clough Way and then on to Pride Park and then DE1.

Done it a few times. Got one little question...

When the Hell did two wind turbines invade from ouster space?

Staggering.

·
Registered
850 Posts
They just being installed at the moment on Raynesway Severn Trent Site, they can knock one of them up in five days.
It's a great site from Chaddesden, you can see down the hill over Spondon Asda and there are the turbines - it can get actually quite windy there.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hopefully get a top brand to sponsor it, can't really see the Sports Direct Arena being cool, but then they changed Pride Park to the IPro stadium, nobody will call it that as it's been Pride Park to long! What the heck is an Ipro anyway!
Come on Roll Royce give us your name.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hopefully get a top brand to sponsor it, can't really see the Sports Direct Arena being cool, but then they changed Pride Park to the IPro stadium, nobody will call it that as it's been Pride Park to long! What the heck is an Ipro anyway!
Come on Roll Royce give us your name.
Pride Park is why you don't give it a name. It's why you see grounds called New Stadium or New Stand. Like at Trent Bridge. Once it has a name it is hard to shift.

I still call if the Executive Stand at TCG rather than Sir Brian Clough Stand.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not sure I like those shingles - they seem to be a very thing gauge metal and you can see on the mock up how they highlight any "tight spot" in fixing.

Guessing they will be very easily damaged as well...

21 - 40 of 76 Posts