SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well that's fantastic then isn't it, a video screen! Holy crap i thought we were on a forum where people cared about buildings and quality design not large bloody plasmas! |It does seem a good facility but it just looks crap!
Yeah people care about buildings. So if it is a good facility then that is what actually matters. Not whether the cladding meets your personal taste especially when you have not actually seen it in person.

I have. It looks fine. It ain't amazing but it is more interesting than the NIC.

And as someone who has had a season ticket for the NIC I can assure you that a bloody video screen would mean a lot more to most punters than the cladding on the building.

·
PQS
3,593 Posts
The thread title for this in the stadium section says 5,000... If so where are the other 4,000 or so seats going? As I said before this would have been perfect if it was built on Uni Boulevard in Nottingham, next to the tennis centre. Fair play to Derby though for getting it, anyone know who's funding it?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Capacity will be up to 5000 seating and standing. Not quite sure how it will be done though. Also I have heard that they will only be able to kit out as an arena up to 12 times a year due to the amount of time it will take each time. So not really a true arena for music events.

Cost about £28 million with £3 million coming from sport England as part of Olympic legacy. They are also planning a pool complex in the city centre but this has been delayed a year due to funding issues. In time when both developments are complete the queen street leisure centre will be demolished.

·
Registered
736 Posts
There was also supposed to be an outside cycle track around the adjacent nature reserve but the local bird watchers (and Chris packham) got upset ...

·
Registered
104 Posts
interesting piece about the velodrome just been on BBC East Midlands Today. Shows track being used for the first time and building nearly complete. Imagine will be on iPlayer soon

·
20,077 Posts
61 - 76 of 76 Posts