SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst reading the thread about the White Star Line building I began to think about the amount of derelict buildings within the city centre that are of a huge architectural merit.

Firstly, as i've questioned in the White Star thread. I am sure this building lies empty in a dominant part of the city, facing the waterfront. Surely the building could be converted into offices or apartments just like The Tower Building. Or the building could be used as a Titanic Museum.

Another excellent building that lies empty is the one on North John Street with the golden dome. This is a huge building and in the past I have heard of it being converted into a hotel. I think this is a perfect use for the building and could breathe a bit of life into Dale Street after office hours. I'm sure planning permission has been granted.

Facing Martins Bank there is a 2/3 storey building which looks very historical and grand, however it has lied empty for years. I'm not sure how big this building is but being on the same street as The Newz Bar, surely this place could be turned into something similar. Its a classy part of the city and could easily pull it off.

Back on dale street there are buildings on the junction with Sir Thomas Street that are boarded up. Again I have heard of a hotel conversion somewhere around this area but i'm not sure whether this is the actual site as nothing seems to be happening there.

If you know anything about these buildings or want to add buildings that i may have missed out then feel free to add on. Surely with the amount of development within the city it cant take too long for these buildings to be back in use. It seems such a waste to throw up rubbish within the city when there are so many fine buildings that could be brought back to life.

·
Liverpool, England.
12,595 Posts
Ste,

I think that Albion House is at least partially occupied. It is in a great location so it shouldn't be that difficult to get tenants except the old problem that old office buildings don't meet modern requirements for air conditioning, computer flooring etc.
I like the idea of a Titanic Museum, it is very close to the Maritime Museum so there should be quite a few customers. Maybe the ground floor could be converted into a White Star themed pub or something.

The building with the gold dome is the old Royal Insurance headquarters - a really magnificent building. It was going to be converted into an Irish hotel but I haven't heard anything about it for a very long time. Again, its a building in the heart of the commercial quarter that really needs a new lease of life.

I think that Urban Splash will be opening a hotel in Westminster Chambers in Crosshall Street and the old Municipal Annexe is being renovated so these buildings should be being looked after.

I'm not sure what the building opposite Martins Bank is - have to look next time I'm in town.

·
Fugly
11,296 Posts
It's an old bank in the style of an Italian palace. It has two heavy bronze doors with lions heads on them. It wouldn't look out of place on Castle St.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the municipal annexe the building i was talking about on the corner of dale st and sir thomas st? Or is it just apart of the Municiple Buildings? Is this going to be a hotel, i'm sure thats what i've heard.

·
366 Posts
Regeneration is happening so fast, I would think many of these buildings will be redeveloped.

May restrict certain uses though as Martin says.

·
Lifer Pol
121 Posts
Another problem with these old buildings is that they do not have an accessible entrance for disabled people. They may also have internal level changes or narrow doorways that cannot be altered.

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 requires all service providers make their services accessible for disabled people. The fact that many of these buildings are listed means that it is difficult to convert these buildings into offices, bars etc, or anything other than apartments.

If the building is to be used to deliver a service or act as a place of work, then it must be fully accessible.

·
Cork 2005
2,223 Posts
Dicky Sam's said:
Another problem with these old buildings is that they do not have an accessible entrance for disabled people. They may also have internal level changes or narrow doorways that cannot be altered.

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 requires all service providers make their services accessible for disabled people. The fact that many of these buildings are listed means that it is difficult to convert these buildings into offices, bars etc, or anything other than apartments.

If the building is to be used to deliver a service or act as a place of work, then it must be fully accessible.
Very true indeed this may be half the reason that some of the fine buildings in town have lain empty for some time - the cost of making them fully accessible is offset by cheaper more modern accomodation.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Could the council offer grants for ambitous developers? Must be able to offer some incentives for developers to improve what we already have before adding to what is there.

·
Cork 2005
2,223 Posts
I quite agree with you Steve, there are some excellent buildings in the city that have been empty for some time. New development is important for the cities eveolving image but to bring life to the existing stock i believe is as important if not more so!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Stunning row of houses they are. Not cheap mind - some of them have been converted into flats and one has been on sale since december: 1 Bedroom ground floor flat for £85000. And thats only as a shared ownership scheme!

Nice to see them being brought back to life, but thats way too much if you ask me. Especially considering the area has been plagued by pro's

Would people looking at these houses really want to make an offer with this sign outside their house?

Presume its the burned out buildings that are going to get some attention?

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,690 Posts
JUXTAPOL said:
Looks like the derelict Shaw Street georgian terrace is about to see some action. One of the truly appaling sites, and what a bad impression it must give to anyone entering Liverpool centre along this street.

Shaw street application
That's really pleasing that because that's one of those little grot spots that has the potential to be beautiful,Georgian buildings always look good when they're cared for and I'm made up these ones are to see a new lease of life. :cheers:

·
Registered
76 Posts
OMG iv never seen those houses before. It realy disturbes me to think that those beautiful Georgan buildings that wouldnt look out of place in the west end of london have been allowed to decay as they have.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Can the Woodentops not find a few quid to clean up the lock up?

Stick a plaque next to it or something explaining how it came to be part of Everton's badge?

You'd think now that the whole world is going to see them in the champions league, and that they're now set for millions of £££s of champions league money that they could afford to do something*

*Ha! Like they'll even get through the qualifiers!

·
366 Posts
Steve C said:
Stunning row of houses they are. Not cheap mind - some of them have been converted into flats and one has been on sale since december: 1 Bedroom ground floor flat for £85000. And thats only as a shared ownership scheme!

Nice to see them being brought back to life, but thats way too much if you ask me. Especially considering the area has been plagued by pro's

Would people looking at these houses really want to make an offer with this sign outside their house?

Steve, thanks for the tip off. I'll keep any eye out next time I'm down that way. ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
As far as curb crawlers are concerned, hopefully the repopulation of the area would bring an end to that, as its only its wasteland state at present that makes it so popular for that kind of thing.

It really is bizarre you know, I once upon a time used in the council flats nearby. What a SHITHOLE. People being beaten up outside my flat, rubbish through the letterbox, you name it. Yet right next door posh flats and £85000 price tags. Funny old world and all that

I'm glad its going to be done up none the less. I saw that house you can see in Daves 3rd picture on sale at the local estate agents the other day for £185000, so someones obviously decided to cash in (though only when its on the point of TOTAL collapse and they're being faced with demands for remedial works by the council mind)

At one point in time that street used to be like that on BOTH sides. Shame.

The old army barracks on Everton Brow could do with a similar treatment soon as well. They've been derelict at least a good 20 years or more and are Georgian too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
They could do with getting that bloody mens hostel out of that corner site facing the lock up as well. I know these things have to go somewhere, but in there, the most sellable houses in the entire row?!?

1 - 20 of 219 Posts