SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know we mainly discuss (or should that be "discuss mainly"?) Belfast, but I thought some of you might be interested in developments in other parts of the Province.

http://www.ilex-urc.com/uploads/File/Regeneration_Plan.pdf

http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/clooney_regen_mplan.pdf

There is also a development either proposed or started called Atlantic Business Park in Maydown. I can't find much up to date info on it.

"An example where potential exists for integrated land use/ transport planning Atlantic Business Park, Maydown The RDS Implementation and Monitoring First Annual Report 2003 identifies a joint venture private/ public sector opportunity with Du Pont and ScarboroughDevelopments for the development of an International Business Park at Maydown.The proposed Atlantic Business Park adjoins the rail network and is an outstandingopportunity to integrate investment, development and transport. The business park aims to strengthen regional economic competitiveness and create in the region of 3,000 jobs. A Master plan for the site has already been prepared for the site, initial feasibility work has been carried out and Government has already been in discussion with developers regarding infrastructure provision. The Atlantic Business Park extends over 56 hectares and the masterplan proposes a mix of industrial, hi-technology, distribution warehouses and some retailing uses. The total floorspace proposed is 113,588 sq m (1,222,700 sq ft). "

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cach...thwest+business+park&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=uk

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...y/lease-of-life-for-fort-george-13500312.html

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
509 Posts
You don't actually say that in real life do you? lol
Of course I do... L'D is a shit-heap. It's not the worst though. I reserve that judgement for Lurgan (shudders visibly) then there is Strabane (or Stabran as I call it), Dumbdalk, Arghmah, Droghedrab... like any of those? (off topic of course)

Actually L'D should be a really nice city. It's got a fantastic setting, it just needs a replacement population!

·
COYS
1,705 Posts
Actually L'D should be a really nice city. It's got a fantastic setting, it just needs a replacement population!
I agree. In mainland Europe, a city like Derry would be beautiful, with well maintained buildings, nice public squares, a cafe culture and well developed waterfront area. And of course a signature modern building. Derry isn't promoted very well over here, and I think its time some effort and money was put into the city. Sometimes I feel that its very ignored.

·
22,097 Posts
Derry is ignored, I agree. (I say derry because it's quicker......nothing political about it. Before anyone starts FFS)

It's ignored for several reasons though, I feel the city has yet to properly move on. I agree with Snailtrain, needs a replacement population. They have utterly destroyed the reputation of the city (not all....but a good many)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Londonderry is a bit of a dump however there is some good architecture round the wall with cobbled streets and everything. The University is also class. I think the old building beats Lanyon building at Queens.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Of course I do... L'D is a shit-heap. It's not the worst though. I reserve that judgement for Lurgan (shudders visibly) then there is Strabane (or Stabran as I call it), Dumbdalk, Arghmah, Droghedrab... like any of those? (off topic of course)

Too many of us crazy catholics up there!!! Damn us all to hell... Why is it that people here can't just accept what is and build on it?

Edit - sorry if that sounds controversial but people here do view derry with disdain and now its being said here that the problem is the people... not exactly a good way of looking at the situation. The reason derry is forgotton about is because it is a city of around 100,000 max! It would be a big town in England and thats it... we should be trying hard but to say it is the peoples fault... I always considered that derry punched above its weight in terms of its ambitions. As a city it lacks much but then for 50 years certain people here shit themselves if anything went west of the bann... can't exactly blame the people in the city for that.

Reactions: Mr. Beans

·
Registered
509 Posts
Part of L'Ds problem is that one of its "main" citizens bombed the shit out of it throughout the 70s and 80s. Then there was the huge population movement to create a virtual mono-culture. So again, nice place, shame about who lives there. (was much nicer before provos wrecked it, then DOE and "planners" got busy) Didn't they have a unique mill building that some arse was allowed to demolish?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Bridge work restarts after row

The footbridge will link Ebrington to Guildhall Square in Derry
Work on a £13.3m footbridge across the River Foyle has restarted after it was halted by protestors.
Construction had been due to start at Browning Drive on Monday, but residents blocked the road with their cars.
Urban regeneration company Ilex, which is responsible for the project, has said a compromise has been reached.
Ilex's chief executive, Aideen McGinley, said they had agreed to use an alternative route to access the construction site.
"I hope that we have established good communication with the community on a regular basis.
"We have offered a liaison meeting every month, so that we make sure that issues in terms of understanding of where we are with the project won't arise again," said Mrs McGinley.
But resident Dennis Jackson said he wants a written guarantee that an alternative access route will be found during the construction period.
"We will be maintaining the blockage of the street with our cars until such times as Ilex gives us in writing an undertaking not to use Browning Drive to access the site.
"They have ample space on the Ebrington Barracks site, which is 26 acres wide.
"It is very unfortunate we were forced to take this action," he said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/8327388.stm

Tuesday 27 October 2009

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Foyleside Extension

Biggest Shopping Centre in NI....

£100m plan 'could bring 800 jobs'

Plans for a £100m extension to a Londonderry shopping centre could create 500 construction jobs and 300 full-time jobs, it has been claimed.

The proposals for Foyleside Shopping Centre include new retail space, an office block and a nine-screen cinema.

The manager of Foyleside, Des Farrell, said it would make it the biggest shopping centre in Northern Ireland.

"We certainly feel this is a major shot in the arm for the economy of our city and the greater north west," he said.

"You're really talking about what would be the biggest retail scheme in Northern Ireland and Foyleside has been one of the most successful schemes in Ireland since it opened in 1995.

"We want to build on that success and I think in the current climate it's extremely significant."

The plans would see the centre expanded by 235,000 square feet and would take an estimated two years to complete.

Foyle SDLP MP, Mark Durkan, said the £100m investment would be a major boost to the city.

"We've all worried as we've seen a lot of retail developments setting up out of town, so the fact that they are making the expansion in the city has to be welcomed.

"This is great news but we do have to recognise it's not something that is going to happen overnight," Mr Durkan said.

Sinn Féin Foyle MLA Martina Anderson said it was "a massive vote of confidence" for the retail sector in the city.

"These plans could be a major part of the jigsaw in the regeneration of Derry city centre.

"It comes at a time of other major construction work such as the new Peace Bridge across the Foyle ,the Ilex plans and a £1bn investment in the north west's road and rail infrastructure."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8387765.stm

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beat-me-to-it-Plank-:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are they planning to knock down a huge swathe of city centre to build that? (a la Castlecourt) or is there plenty of wasteland around it already I wonder?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I believe Derry is going to be eventually eclipsed by Newry as NI's second 'city'. Newry is arguably one of the best locations on the Island, with its residents more or less equidistant between Belfast and Dublin and so able to avail of the economic and employment opportunities afforded by both.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts