SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
22,172 Posts
^^

There is merit is that arguement and it's mainly derived from a longer term vision of a greater connected and cohesive eastern corridor. It is very possible in the future that Newry will indeed become the second city of Northern Ireland, but that is a long was off just yet.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
What is that interesting looking building complex just behind the development site?

As regards (London) Derrys site by the river, I agree, from the few photos I have seen of it, it should be amongst Ireland heritage cities. I´ve never felt attracted to just visit the city which is probably a pity.
Someone out there should post a series of attractive photos of the town on this thread for us who have never visited the city. Isn´t there an almost intact city wall. Not many cities can boast of that.
Sometimes you can be thankful that developers havn´t destroyed the city, like in the case of many of the cities which are being restored in the former East Germany.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts

Magee expansion gets go-ahead with school land deal

The University of Ulster has signed an agreement with Foyle and Londonderry College which will enable them to expand into the school's lands.

The sites on the Northland Road will become vacant when the school moves across the river Foyle in 2012.

The 30 acres will give the Magee campus space to add new faculties and bid for an expansion to student numbers.

The university's Vice-Chancellor, Richard Barnett, said it was an "important milestone".

"The university has always made it clear that a pre-condition for the expansion at Magee was the acquisition of additional land, and we have submitted a bid to expand our student numbers.

"With the news that we have secured an option on these sites - and once the government gives us permission - we can commence our build-up of student numbers.

"The University of Ulster is a primary force in delivering the skills base, driving social and economic regeneration and contributing to the cultural vitality of Northern Ireland.

"Today's agreement opens the door to a new era in the life of Magee," he said.

The headmaster of Foyle and Londonderry College, Jack Magill, said the school had long supported the university's expansion.

"We all know it is the key to the future economic wellbeing of the city, and the Foyle Governors have always seen the university as the preferred inheritor of our land as it keeps it in the education sector.

"This tacit understanding between us has now been given a shape and a timescale.

"I look forward to seeing the area revitalised by the university creating a broader campus with new departments and new architecture," he said.

The design of the new school at the former army base at Clooney is already underway, and preliminary investigative work has been completed.

The acquisition of the Foyle and Londonderry lands will almost double the university's physical presence in the city.

A group campaigning for an alternative university model has questioned the land deal.

Padraig Canavan, the chairperson of University For Derry, said the site was best suited to sports facilities.

"The university should focus its attention on moving towards the city and becoming a more integral part of the city fabric, and in that was establish Derry as a university city," he said.

The Magee campus has over 3,500 students, the majority of which are full time.

In 2008 the university unveiled a development plan, which anticipated 2,000 extra students on the campus.

These places cannot be created unless a government cap on student numbers is relaxed.

Sir Reg Empey has said he is prepared to re-examine the effect of the limit on student numbers on Magee over the next few months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/8405553.stm

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was in Derry very recently, I've always really liked the place despite it's many problems, the overall feel of the place, the walls and the general character are a delight. Even the Foyleside shopping centre is one of the best of it's type with all the various levels and entry points making it quite an exciting place to be.

However I was absolutely shocked at the way that the life has been sucked out of the Diamond and Shipquay Street area and particularly at how derelict and empty Waterloo Place has become. Even five years ago when I was last there the place was buzzing with shops and cafes. Now theres nothing. I'd suggest that a further expansion of the Foyleside is bound to exacerbate this problem.

It's a real shame, it's a place that should have so much going for it. However it seems to be dying on it's feet.

I was also in the new Gaelaras which is an absolutely fantastic addition to the James St. area. It's somewhat odd looking externally although beautifully proportioned on the streetscape. Inside though it's a truly spectacular space, flooded with light and very exciting with mysterious staircases going off in all directions. Unfortunately the place is a bit cluttered, the shop and reception area just have too much stuff on display and the cafe has invaded the central atrium with a truly inappropriately placed fridge unit and somewhat tacky lime green chairs. Despite this the brilliance of the architecture shines through and it's definitely worth a visit.

http://www.odonnell-tuomey.ie/webpage/angael/angael_01.htm

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just heard that L'D is "in" for British Capital of Culture. Was this an April fool? I can't imagine this pit of sectarianism, homophobic attacks and binge drinking being the capital of anything. This is an even bigger farce than Belfast's bid. What will they call themselves if they win? Derry; Londonderry; Stroke City; The Maiden City; Derry/Londonderry; L'Derry? My own suggestion is Londondiarrhea (from the ancient Irish, meaning a city who's bowels run with brown water)

·
COYS
1,711 Posts
Can't wait to see this bridge finished. It's fantastic. Also, is their any news on that 70m residential tower that was part of a large regeneration plan (I think it was planned to be on top of an old army barracks or something)

·
COYS
1,711 Posts
An Gaelaras:

Same architects are designing the new Lyric. I have a few more pics from an NI architecture mag that I'll try to scan sometime.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Of course I do... L'D is a shit-heap. It's not the worst though. I reserve that judgement for Lurgan (shudders visibly) then there is Strabane (or Stabran as I call it), Dumbdalk, Arghmah, Droghedrab... like any of those? (off topic of course)

Actually L'D should be a really nice city. It's got a fantastic setting, it just needs a replacement population!

hilarious how about Portafrown , Tigers gay ,Bangrrrr , Mankhill road, :banana::nuts:

·
Registered
21 Posts
if you are referring to a road in west Belfast, it is spelt SHANKILL
no bother......... maybe Stankill.........not trying to be smart either but Snailtrains names for irish towns were hilarious .....this thread is about Derry so i just wanna say when i visited it , i found it to be a nice place, lots of potential..but not as busy as the other cities of its size like Limerick or Galway. :banana::lol::nuts::cheers::cheers::bash:

·
22,172 Posts
It was a question, not a statement. At no point in that question was an attempt made to request that he not listen to snailface. Unless you failed to notice the question mark after the sentence.

There's a difference.

As for the unenlightened nature of the question, that is a subjective opinion.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It was a question, not a statement. At no point in that question was an attempt made to request that he not listen to snailface. Unless you failed to notice the question mark after the sentence.

There's a difference.

As for the unenlightened nature of the question, that is a subjective opinion.
No I didn't fail to notice the question mark. In fact I was offering the simple response to your question that it is surely up to Charlemont who he/she listens to or pays attention to.

And you are of course right - it was a subjective opinion, mine, and I was simply expressing it. Where would society be if one couldn't do that?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have more names for those who like them..... Newtownarse, Glumgannon, Limpavady. I'm sorry, but I find most of what's talked about here hard to take seriously. Some folk here need to lighten up a bit and just have a bit of laugh.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts