SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I'm not overly familiar with Derry but I would be surprised if there isn't suitable sites in the centre for a thousand odd homes rather than this green field which- if the rest of the residential development of the last few decades goes to show- will be a pastiche of just how isolated and uncatered for peoples needs modern suburbs are. I suppose if the first few phases aren't a success McCausland can carve off a portion of the site for a multi storey car park.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Does the council own the Austin department store or did someone land bank it. It would make an awesome Parisian style cafe and restaurant on top a bit like the Robinson Clever building in Belfast. Would the Diamond have a lot of football late in the evening compared to Belfast which is pretty much dead outside the Cathedral Quarter.

·
13,521 Posts
As far as I know it's owned by an outfit called City Hotel Group, but it's on the at risk register:

Home | Heritage at Risk in Northern Ireland | nidirect

There are issues with water ingress and asbestos.

I'm having trouble doing a search on that company, but a person who seems to speak about the place - Brendan Duddy appears with this company:

So I'd put money on there being a connection.Seems to be a property developer with a thing for hotels and hospitality:

Brendan Jr DUDDY - Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
so M&S is taking over Homebase and Homebase is moving into a new unit? I am struggling to see where this is.
Looks like they are dividing the Homebase unit up- so Homebase will downsize and M&S will move in to the newly created unit. The new Iceland Foods bit is going beside Mothercare

·
Registered
218 Posts
Building a lot of estates on the border side of the city and avoiding going towards Limavady is a trend I have noticed in the last few years.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Building a lot of estates on the border side of the city and avoiding going towards Limavady is a trend I have noticed in the last few years.
Lower land value and generally flatter so cheaper construction, but I see what you are inferring.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts