SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts
I've visited this site, can only 12 bucks help these kids! How it works? Thanks for sharing anyway..
Well, 12 dollars is around Tk 840, which should be sufficient for the monthly expense of a child in Bangladesh, specially in rural areas.

For example, the total income of the family of 8 given below is $29 only! So 12 dollars will be a big help..

http://www.distressedchildren.org/childinfo.aspx?cid=118

Also, just to get a context, Bangladesh's per capita GDP is $600, which is around $50/month..

Towhid bhai thanks for sharing the site, one small step at a time.
You're welcome. My niece (a medical student) pass it on to me. She has already sponsored a child and I've seen the progress reports they send her. I am going to sponsor one. I urge all of you to try to sponsor one. Perhaps you could buy one less cup of Starbucks per day and put it towards a child in Bangladesh? Thanks.

You're welcome. My niece (a medical student) pass it on to me. She has already sponsored a child and I've seen the progress reports they send her. I am going to sponsor one. I urge all of you to try to sponsor one. Perhaps you could buy one less cup of Starbucks per day and put it towards a child in Bangladesh? Thanks.
Many of you may not be married. If some of you are and in case you don't have enough kids -- consider adoption from Bangladesh as well.

One of our local Bhais in LA adopted one of his daughters from Bangladesh when she was six and now (ten years later) the other day we found out she's going to Harvard. I say Bravo!

Thanks to this Bhai -- she'll never know what background would have limited her in some slum in Bangladesh.

We all have the power to change lives -- one life at a time.

Many of you may not be married. If some of you are and in case you don't have enough kids -- consider adoption from Bangladesh as well.

One of our local Bhais in LA adopted one of his daughters from Bangladesh when she was six and now (ten years later) the other day we found out she's going to Harvard. I say Bravo!

Thanks to this Bhai -- she'll never know what background would have limited her in some slum in Bangladesh.

We all have the power to change lives -- one life at a time.
Now that is some achievement and something to be really proud of! Do you have any details? How come such news isn't published in Bangladesh rags?

BTW, is she just 16 and admitted to Harvard already? Is she an overachiever and graduated early?

Now that is some achievement and something to be really proud of! Do you have any details? How come such news isn't published in Bangladesh rags?

BTW, is she just 16 and admitted to Harvard already? Is she an overachiever and graduated early?
Well this year quite a few Bangladeshi kids from this town are going to Harvard (just LA county).

And that'd be a yes on your last question on graduating early. No one doubted the capacity of a nascent Bangladeshi brain :)

Discussion starter · #29 ·

MashaAllah, wonderful news and wish there were more cases like this.

My very good college friend and his wife, who live in Michigan now, adopted a baby girl from Bangladesh last year. It was a tremendous ordeal for them due to the BD bureaucracy and also the hassles of the US Embassy who wanted to make sure the girl's parents were who they said they were. I guess in Bangladesh, human trafficking is a big problem. They had to make no less than 4 trips to get all the paperwork done.

From the little I know, in Muslim countries, due to traditions, it is very hard to adopt outside the family. I have some relatives who adopted their sister's or brother's kids, but don't know of any where the child is a total stranger.

My wife sponsors a little girl(bua's daughter) who was burned over 40% of her body. It only costs us 2000 taka/month to take care of her.

I wholeheartedly endorse those who can afford to engage in this type of charitable work, but please make sure you are dealing with a reputable organization and not a "dui number".

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Ah, muslim countries, thank God that Bangladesh does not follow sharia law, because according to it (sharia), "adoption" is not allowed, but foster parenting is allowed.
Actually now that I researched it a little bit, it's not Sharia but the Quran itself that determines the relationship between a child and his/her adoptive family. This link explains the reasons.
http://islam.about.com/cs/parenting/a/adoption.htm

In this country I see White Americans adopt children from Korea, Vietnam, Russia and other East European countries. I wonder why African-American kids(mostly from single mothers) are not adopted as much?

Actually now that I researched it a little bit, it's not Sharia but the Quran itself that determines the relationship between a child and his/her adoptive family. This link explains the reasons.
http://islam.about.com/cs/parenting/a/adoption.htm
Thanks for the link, after reading the details it makes perfect sense. Islam is such a beautiful religion, every aspect of life is covered..

Discussion starter · #35 · (Edited)
I'm sure you know the answer.
Well, my hunch is subtle bigotry or outright racism, but these people spend huge chunks of money and adopt an international kid that's totally out of their race and culture.

I read somewhere that Whites feel they won't be able to raise the black kid with proper black cultural awareness whereas a Chinese or a Korean kid can be totally WASPed.

In this country I see White Americans adopt children from Korea, Vietnam, Russia and other East European countries. I wonder why African-American kids(mostly from single mothers) are not adopted as much?
We should also encourage White Americans to adopt from Bangladesh. McCains daughter was adopted from BD. I have seen some others too. Hopefully more.

Wouldn't hurt to ask. We just got rid of a whole bunch of PCs couple of months ago.
Towhid Bhai, I emailed BRAC USA, and they said that there are some institutions that specialize in sending computers to developing countries. I searched the internet and only found companies that send computers to Africa, and not Asia.

Towhid Bhai, I emailed BRAC USA, and they said that there are some institutions that specialize in sending computers to developing countries. I searched the internet and only found companies that send computers to Africa, and not Asia.
Thanks for the information. Not very helpful, is it? I suppose if I get serious about the endeavor, I shall have to devise a way.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.