SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Black Box
1,745 Posts
Wish we were at 603,000 vs. 602,000. It's my odd preoccupation with how I perceive the arrangement of numbers. When do you all think King County will hit 2 million?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Funny thing is I was the first person to edit this on Wikipedia, then all of a sudden the Seattle PI article comes out.

·
honk!!!
2,886 Posts
Here's the statewide list of cities and counties: http://www.ofm.wa.gov/pop/april1/default.asp

It's looking quite possible that we'll get a 10th congressional district.

However, even though I really like the OFM's estimates, using public school enrollment could definitely have inflated Seattle's numbers, as the Seattle school district's enrollment went up this year more as a result of families not being able to afford private school than growth...

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I am glad that Seattle population hits 600,000 now. I have been waiting to hear that till today. I have been wondering when will Seattle have more than 600,000 residents since I moved here over four years ago. When will Seattle hits 700,000 residents? :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
^^

That's a good question. Considering Seattle has been roughly between 500,000-600,00 since the late 1950's, it might be a long time. However, the trend has definitely been upward since the late 80's, so who knows?

Some people forget Seattle lost population starting in the late 1960's and all of the 70's.

·
Journeyman
16,766 Posts
The bad economy might have actually helped us grow -- more people have roommates, more adults are living with their parents, families might be delaying (or rethinking) their flight to suburbia as their kids near school age...

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^ Yes I read your similar comment on Seattle PI website. I believe that.

Pwalker, I think Seattle might reach 700,000 sooner than we think... Maybe next decade depending on economy.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
^^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle,_wa

Getting to 700,000 people would be about a 17% jump in population. Seattle has only ever had a decade to decade increase of more than 17% twice (the biggest jump, 27%, coming between 1940 and 1950 in the WW2 boom times).

Granted, Seattle is making strong efforts towards densification and bringing people back to the city, so perhaps it will go a lot quicker than the last 100,000 person jump in population (nearly 30 years to get from 493,000 in 1980 to 594,000 in 2008). But I don't see it ever being in less than 10 years to get to 700,000 people.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
It's looking quite possible that we'll get a 10th congressional district.
I'd love to get a 10th. I had hoped we would get it in 2000. But I wonder now as some of those southern and southwestern states are growing so much faster. Massachusetts currently has 10, one of which they will definitely lose in 2010. Washington just surpassed MA in population. Also passed Indiana, but they also have 9. I don't know how much distance we can put between ourselves and IN and MA in order to get a 10th while they stay at 9. AZ is catching up to us--the only state which can pass us. They currently have 8, so they'll get at least 9..

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Ive had at least 8 friends move here from out of state and E WA in the last year. People are still comin... Mostly young people.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^ Same here. Three of my friends are serious considering to move to Seattle too. They're from out of state. They have to find jobs here first so they can move here.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'd love to get a 10th. I had hoped we would get it in 2000. But I wonder now as some of those southern and southwestern states are growing so much faster. Massachusetts currently has 10, one of which they will definitely lose in 2010. Washington just surpassed MA in population. Also passed Indiana, but they also have 9. I don't know how much distance we can put between ourselves and IN and MA in order to get a 10th while they stay at 9. AZ is catching up to us--the only state which can pass us. They currently have 8, so they'll get at least 9..
Ya, I think AZ will pass by us real soon. They're growing faster than we are.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
^^ The 602,000 and the 598,000 numbers are both current, just from different sources. Forst one being from the Washington State Office of Financial Management, second is from the US census bureau.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts