Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better late than never, I guess… I apologize for not posting this sooner.

I visited Detroit on April 28 and 29, doing some good urban exploration throughout the city. On the Sunday (April 29), I visited one of the city's best kept secrets.

Palmer Woods is a historic neighbourhood located west of Woodward, between 7 Mile and 8 Mile Roads in North Detroit. It is on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The neighbourhood was created in 1915 and most of the homes were built between 1917 and 1929. It is named after Thomas W. Palmer, former U.S. Senator who hailed from Detroit. This is built on land he once owned. Most of these homes are mansions of the Colonial and Tudor Revival architecture. It is undoubtedly, Detroit's nicest neighbourhood.

Tall tree-lined streets like this dominate the neighbourhood...

This shot provides a general feel for the neighbourhood...

I'm really glad this neighbourhood has been kept in such amazing shape...

Streetscapes...

Hope you enjoyed the tour!

·
6,505 Posts
I had never realized this neighborhood didn't have proper curbs. It must be hell during hard rains. Anyway, love how nice residents have kept this neighborhood over the years. I prefer the smaller lots and grid of the nearby University District and the quirkiness of the adjacent apartment district, but I also realize all of these neighborhoods have different functions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts