Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's part two of my Spring 2012 tour of the Motor City, with night shots. I apologize for the graininess, but my camera's batteries went dead and had to use this instead, I'm surprised how some of the shots turned out though. Here we go with Detroit night shots!

Looking up at the David Whitney Building, currently being renovated into a boutique hotel... designed by Chicago architect Daniel Burnham

Buildings in Grand Circus Park, Rub BBQ is good urban BBQ

The Fillmore Concert Theatre, on Woodward Avenue...

The world-renowned 5,000 Fox Theatre, was restored by Mike Ilitch in 1988...

Comerica Park @ night, the roar was silenced tonight as the Tigers were playing on the road that night...

Hockeytown Cafe... place is usually packed before a concert or sporting event downtown...

Looking south on Woodward, towards the Fillmore again...

Cheli's Chili Bar on Adams Street, near Comerica Park in the former Women's Exchange Tudor-Revival Building...

Detroit Opera House, looking up at the Broderick Tower...

The Broderick Tower is being renovated into lofts and condos!

Angelina Italian Bistro in the former Madison Theater Building...

Bustling Broadway, across from the Opera House

Looking up at the magnificent, but endangered and needed for repairs, Wurlitzer Building...

Renaissance Center, lit up in blue, on Jefferson...

One Detroit Center, with the People Mover coming towards the Millender Center in the foreground

RenCen on the riverfront...

Windsor, Ontario skyline. Canada's most southerly city is a delightful one of 200,000+

CBD from Hart Plaza...

RenCen from Hart Plaza...

CBD from the base of Woodward, looking north...

First National Building, being renovated... on Woodward

One Detroit Center...

Beautifully decorated trees on Woodward, near the Chase Building

The city's heart beats on, in Campus Martius Park...

Rock on @ the Hard Rock Cafe...

Guardian Building, Chase and Penobscot from Campus Martius

Soldiers and Sailors Monument

Dime Building, soon to be home to offices of Chrysler Corporation... designed by Daniel Burnham

Penobscot Building, looking up...

Ford Building...

A legend is reborn, London Chop House, a Detroit institution returned after a 20 year absence...

Guardian Building, looking up

Buhl Building

The Minoru Yamasaki-designed One Woodward Building and People Mover track

and, last but certainly not least, my hotel for the night, the magnificent Westin Book-Cadillac, once the tallest hotel in the world when it opened in 1924. So, Detroit's had the honor of having the tallest hotel in the world twice, the other, of course, is the Marriott in the central tower of the Renaissance Center

Hope you guys enjoyed it! Part three to come soon with Woodbridge and Palmer Woods!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Slowly bringing life back to downtown Detroit. Lights starting to emerge sporadically in the downtown buildings. Would love to see more of those buildings brought back to life. Nice shots! Overall, how would you rate your experience with a night on the town in Detroit?

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys, for all the comments! Sorry I haven't been around in a while. Yeah, not bad, considering it was my BB camera backup.

8th Street Tavern, I didn't really do much at night this time, except take pictures, but as far as nights on the town in the city, whether it would be dinner, a show, play, concert, or sporting event, on average, usually 8.5/10. :) I enjoy coming to the city to do whatever I can. This trip was an urban exploration with a friend.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice pictures. They didn't turn out that bad for a back-up camera. It appears that you covered some ground that night.
Actually, forgot to mention it was the camera on my BlackBerry. It actually takes decent pictures, surprisingly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts