Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6,504 Posts
It's very hard to call homes and apartments buildings of this size "cute". lol It's a stately neighborhood, for sure.

As with all of the nice neighborhoods in Detroit, though, the commercial strip totally doesn't fit the neighborhood. I wish some local politician would run on tougher blight enforcement on Detroit's commercial properties. It would seem to me that Detroit homeowners, all things considered, are doing a pretty good job of keeping up their homes in neighborhoods like this. It's the out-of-city, absentee commercial owners that let their properties along the commercial strips go to hell.

Great tour, Zach.

·
Registered
18,253 Posts
I love the neighborhood! Beautiful photos, Zachariah!

I have some questions: West Village is today a predominantly white or a black neighborhood? And the white people whom still live in Detroit are poor, middle class or wealth? Are there still European ethnic districts in Detroit?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
The vast majority of the neighborhoods in Detroit tend to be 90% black or higher.

A few of the wealthiest enclaves such as Palmer Woods, Indian Village, and North Rosedale are majority black, but tend to have a much larger share of white residents.

Southwest Detroit is the only major predominantly white neighborhood left in the city, however most of the "white" population of Southwest Detroit is of Mexican origin. Granted, even still, much of Southwest Detroit's population is indeed of European descent.

In 2000, the only other areas that were predominantly white were along the border areas. The areas of the city West of Telegraph (Redford Park/Five Points), the areas of the city west of Rouge Park (Parkland/Castle Rouge), the areas immediately north and west of Hamtramck, and a small enclave in the Balduck Park area.

The Greater Downtown area (Downtown, Midtown, etc.) is increasingly becoming more diversified. This is especially true in the Midtown area, where you'll find a large Asian population as well as a growing "hipster" population.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow, this is part of Detroit I hadn't seen before.

Interesting someone commented on the houses being nice, but the commerical business areas being blighted. That makes sense. Something is wrong somewhere, as the houses here in this neighborhood are simply fantastic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts