Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
etter late than never, I guess… I apologize for not posting this sooner.

I visited Detroit on April 28 and 29, doing some good urban exploration throughout the city. On the Sunday (April 29), I visited the Woodbridge neighbourhood and one of the city's best kept secrets, the Palmer Woods neighbourhood, arguably the nicest neighbourhood in the city.

Woodbridge is a neighbourhood northwest of downtown Detroit in the Grand River and Rosa Parks Blvd vicinity. The neighbourhood consists mainly of Victorian-style homes and has been listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places since 1980. When I toured this neighbourhood, I was greeted by some of the friendliest people around, who didn't mind me taking pictures at all.

Without further ado, here we go with the tour…

These homes are on Commonwealth Street...

These homes are on Avery Street...

Back on Commonwealth Street...

This fine house is on Trumbull...

The historic Hunter House...

It was built in 1890 for William Northwood, the co-founder of the Howard-Northwood Malt Manufacturing Company.

More houses on Trumbull...

Hope you enjoyed it! Next up, Palmer Woods!

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I wonder what kind of trees those are lining the street. Ever since all the Dutch Elm were eliminated either by disease or being cut down to stop the spread of it I often wondered what would be a good replacement to recreate that canopy effect. Those trees seem to fit the bill. Also I hope there is a historical/community organization for this neighborhood to try to rehab those homes that need it. I get the impression most of the neighborhood is in decent shape. Thanks for the tour.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
The neighborhood benefits from being directly west of Wayne State University. In fact, the athletic fields for Wayne State are actually in the neighborhood. A sizable population within the neighborhood either works at the university or attends classes at the university.

In more recent years, there has been a bit of an effort to turn Trumbull into a better "Main Street" for the neighborhood, though there isn't much to work with anymore as far as commercial buildings are concerned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts