Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder how the Mayor of Oakland feels about this. :D
I think the Mayor of Oakland should worry about stopping at red lights and avoiding Stanley Roberts.:nuts:

On a side note, the Sears store in Oakland was recently sold and the developer is transforming it into Tech space in the hopes of attracting a SF Company.

With regards to Prop M, I am sure a project could be pushed through under the electoral process for an exemption. These are exceptional times and will certainly slow down at some point.

·
In Search of Sanity
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^Seriously? You think SF voters are going to vote FOR an office skyscraper?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Is this cap based on just new construction, or total office space in the market. The reason I ask is that there is a large building undergoing conversion from office to residential around Civic Center, and if you subtract that office space, it allows for a fairly large building to be built. I believe that building is about 500,000sqft.

·
In Search of Sanity
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^The articles I've read on this all agree you cannot add the square footage of conversions from office space to the available total. So 100 Van Ness, which I assume is what you are referring to, will not affect the issue.

Whether conversion TO office from some other use, as, for example, the Design Center in SOMA would be, I can't say for sure. According to the article I posted, the original intent of the people who got this passed in the 1980s (Calvin Welch, Sue Hestor) was to keep lots that could be used for housing from having office buildings built on them and to otherwise increase housing over office by, for example, focusing developers in the direction of residential and away from office (which, at least then, could be more lucrative). Given that, it seems to me that even conversions to office might be affected, not just new construction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts