Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Southwark Council have identified Blackfriars road as one of the few area where they would like to see tall developments and what could be a third cluster to go with the city of London & LBT. At present it is lined by some very drab office blocks ripe for re-development including a very ugly BT building (why are all BT buildings ugly!!).

We already know about the proposed Beetham tower & LandSecs Wilkin Eyre tower but there have been a couple of other proposals over the years. I've found these 2 (the Lifschutz Davidson one we already know about -but has this now been abandoned). The blackfriars Gambia st shecme I haven't seen before- They are proposing to build a 6 storey Alsop hotel at the expense of a 45 storey resi- Seeing as they haven't started on the hotel lets hope they go for the resi tower in the long run.

http://www.lifschutzdavidson.com/main.htm
go to projects-commercial-blackfriars road

http://www.blackfriars-uk.com/blackfriars_brochure.pdf

What else is proposed for this street, if anything?? For example whats happening to all that dead space around & above Southwark tube station? wasn't there a tower planned for there at one point??

Infact - to start a little bit of debate- Should this street be the site of another cluster or do you think we should sitck with 2 distinct clusters at CW & the city of London????

·
Registered
676 Posts
To start with i am very pleased with the aesthetical developnment of two distinct clusters; CW and the City. I think the view of two cities within London is particularly impressive, LBT only adds to that impressiveness because it is monumental in design, stand alone quality.

I am not too bothered with stand alone towers so long as they are individual LBT centre of gravity kind of towers, real landmarks as opposed to traditional soaring skyscraper block.

The bulking up of a cluster in Southwark would add to the appeal when viewed from Waterloo, two distinct clusters either side of the river, different in their purposes, and then the great slabs of canary wharf staring in th background.

However, Southwark really is incredibly diverse architecturally and these towers would have to fit that bill.

To be honest i am undecided... i fear there will be a half baked attempt at a random patch of buildings in the area, some tall ones but not enough in between... but on the other hand that kind of randomness might fit well in Southwark, that kind of diversity...

But i much more concerned with seeing the reality of the city and cw clusters with a monumental lbt first...

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
46-49 Blackfriars Road

Why the heck was this tower refused planning permission?? In my opinion it would have been perfect for that area, a really nice design, and virtually next door to the tube station. I'm gutted it was never built.

Anyway, regarding Southwark - I lived there for a year, and I think it's a bit of a dump really.

It has tremendous potential though. I mean, there are plentiful sites that would be suitable for landmark developments, and large parts of the borough are in need of regeneration. There also seem to be less problems with heritage sites/viewing corridors than places north of the river. Why not build tall, and maximize the density?

I'm impressed with the masterplan for Elephant & Castle. I also admire Southwark Council for approving LBT and zoning Blackfriars Road as a place suitable for skyscrapers. I hope this trend continues and we see more places that are ear-marked in this way.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Southwark haven't actually identified Blackfriars Road for a new cluster of tall buildings... they are currently working on their tall buildings strategy, which may suggest that Blackfriars Road would be an appropriate location for a cluster of tall buildings. I'll be interested to see how people respond to this... one cluster too many or an effective way to realise this area's potential?

The official reason that 46-49 Blackfriars was refused was that it had a negative impact on a neighbouring Conservation Area, though I understand there were unofficial political reasons behind it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts