Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 501 Posts

·
Ben
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
506 Posts!

Some previous ones to keep this going:

In all seriousness,... If Queen street is to become a place to go all times of the day and night then it would be great if the car posers were gone, I always steered clear of Queen street at night because it was just a bunch of young kids in cars looking at each other and showing off......
Bad for the car posers but I think it will be great for queen street.....might get a few higher class establishments down there if its a place where people that actually have money to spend like to go.. A nice restaurant as opposed to Burger King for example...nothing wrong with BK, but for the main street of a wannabe international city,, there arent as many quality places as there should be... pedestrianising queen street is the best way to go...not all of it, maybe from Mayoral drive to Britomart or the town hall to Britomart with a tram going up it........ I cant wait until they make the decision.. Will be gutted if they cop out..
I certainly agree with that. If its pedestrianized it will be pretty exclusive, having cafes and restaurants spilling out onto the footpaths that cover the street!
It sounds glourious!
Old One: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=402736

·
Kiwi Contributor
4,949 Posts
Yea, i've got these ones off www.propbd.co.nz, bigger but not that high quality. Maybe we could email Westpac and ask them for decent ones?

The main buildings, facing Taku Tai Square in Britomart. Note the pedestrian concourse that continues down the centre of the structure, which links up to the alternative Britomart rail station entrance.

The new building facing Customs St, and adjoing the heritage building on the corner..

The location of the new buildings...

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
This could be good news to ......

Looks like for mainly Auckland , they might finance a nice new Office Tower :banana:

Saudi family ready to spend $200m on NZ offices and apartments
Email this storyPrint this story 5:00AM Wednesday March 21, 2007
By David Fearnhead
Saudi investors have committed $200 million to invest in New Zealand real estate.

Fahad Sa'ad & Partners is a family group that has a background in insurance and logistics, with the bulk of its investments in the Middle East.

After expanding into Europe they are now making moves into New Zealand. They have chosen to invest in New Zealand real estate as a strategy of diverging into different markets.

"In addition to potentially acquiring further projects in the next few months, the group are currently performing due diligence on identified projects in New Zealand," said a spokesman.

"As the group is based overseas, the emphasis has been placed on acquiring projects on a turn-key basis with local development companies."

Fahad Sa'ad & Partners are the latest to see the country as a place to provide good returns on property investment.

Despite the rise in interest rates and signs that the property boom could soon level off and fall back into line with the markets, foreign investors continue to have an optimistic view of this country.

Representatives of Fahad Sa'ad & Partners visited New Zealand in January.

Since then they have recommended to the board a portfolio of investment and development projects.

Those projects include commercial buildings and residential waterfront developments in Auckland and Queenstown, though the bulk of the investment will be in Auckland, where they will focus on office space.

In Queenstown they have singled out residential property with a view to looking at commercial property for future investment.

The lack of volatility in real estate and a stable political and economic environment are seen by many as making the country a safe haven for investment.

·
Registered
375 Posts
has anybdy heard anything about blocking off Queen street?. They were supposed to make an announcement today.

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
Bugger, not my hoped for complete lock down!!!:bash: :bash: :bash:

Council moves to stop Queen St disruption
NZ Herald
2007/03/21 13.00.00

Auckland City has moved to try to stop traffic disruption on the City's best-known street.

Queen St is being upgraded but that has brought traffic to a standstill at times.

Today, Auckland City said it would put extra measures in place to keep traffic flowing.

They include:

* Temporarily converting all P15 parking on Queen Street into loading bays to provide greater access for business.

* More parking wardens on Queen St

* Temporarily relocating all taxi stands on Queen St to Wyndham St.

* Move some bus services to surrounding streets.

General Manager of Transport Dr Stephen Rainbow said: "It is not necessary to ban private vehicles from Queen St at this time."

The council's aim was to support business and reduce delays while keeping pedestrians safe, he said.

"Recent monitoring indicates that traffic volumes are decreasing as drivers take alternative routes to visit the CBD. There are a number of ways to get to the CBD and we ask that during the works people consider public transport or using alternative routes."

Queen St is undergoing a $41 million upgrade.

STUPID! Their rearranging public transport for the benefit of private motorists! JEEZIS H it should be the other way.
Perfect chance to trial a Queen Street Mall and what do the 1960's petrochemical addicts do?

THIS BS!

·
Ben
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ But moving public transport would make the PT more efficent by getting the buses out of the congestion.

I dont think this is negative towards public transport. I think it supports it.

If cars arent moving, neither are buses! (Unless there are bus lanes, which there arent on Queen)

I think what the council is doing is positive.

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
I know, just disappointed we're missing the chance at trialling Queen St as a (primarily) pedestrian mall!

They could have banned private motorists and only permitted buses, taxes, freight vehicles!

·
Kiwi Contributor
4,949 Posts
^^Yea it seems like a fairly predictable response. Not that bad, but not fantastic either. Pedestrianisation should really be a goal in the near future, just for part of the Street, say between Victoria and Wyndham. The Council needs to "Just do it".

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
Welldone flyin ^^ - you've hit 3000 - Again

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
Adding my wish/dream/fantasy list to aucklandman's fantastic design above -

Dual carriage 2 lane road tunnel under and along the length of Queen St, for service/taxi/bus - ONLY!

Tunnel Custom St at Queen St/Britomart precinct - east/west general traffic - north/south service/taxi/bus only!

Bridge Victoria St over Queen St gully - for general traffic.

Bridge Wellesly St over Queen St Gully - for general traffic.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
375 Posts
I saw the extremely scientific, NZherald letters section about this subject and a good 90% of people were in favour of pedestrianizing Queen Street.. and yet again the council lets us down. They probably thought it was a good idea but just lacked the guts to implement it.... it is a pretty drastic step so I can understand their wariness, but .......its just another dissapointing day for Auckland:eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

GREat diagram by the way Aucklandman.. exactly what a huge number of people in Auckland were thinking....

Sorry Kane, I dont think I would want bridges going over the queen street gully...Shadows, concrete, views gone and more concrete......

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would love to see them turn Queen St into a pedestrian mall, just what the run-down heart of the CBD needs. Although it might make routing for private traffic a bit tricky. Not that I care, almost never drive on Queen St. :)

1 - 20 of 501 Posts