SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 3129 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I like the project, and I agree that an office tower shouldn't be located in an industrial area. Would have been great, if they had kept the 80 m hight, though. But all in all, I'm positive :)

·
Grave Architecture
518 Posts
There's not a lot of things happening here at SSC when there's holiday. :) I'll do an update to live things up.

Spring in Aarhus

ARoS - Your Rainbow Panorama

Here's a photo from Mølleparken (Mill Park) at the main library. It's really a very beautiful park when it's summer and it's buzzing with life and activity. The view towards ARoS and the historical buildings (Financial centre, the court and the state archive for business) creates a very urbanized feeling.

Rejsegilde - Care taking apartments at Ceres allé
The new municipal caretaking apartments for elderly is a 7 storey building and compared to most other caretaking apartments quite beautiful.

The view from the 6th storey.

The Ceres facility that is going to be turned into a new urban habitat in the future.

The 5 buildings in the background at the horizon is Gellerupparken.

Yeah, I got a soda and a hot dog.

"Godsbanearealet" - The old cargo train yard
This building is going to be repurposed for an artistic environment or rather a production facility for art, literature and stage art in the coming years. The website for the project.

Scandic Århus City
The deconstruction of some ugly and poorly utilized buildings has begun in the inner city in preparation for a new Scandic hotel in Østergade called Scandic Århus City. From this site there's a clear view to the city hall (See), so the location for a hotel couldn't be better in Aarhus. It's really a perfect site. The company behind the new building is the Copenhagen based NorCap who also owns stage 1 of the Lighthouse project. It's uncertain what their plans are for stage 2 (The tower) though. The people behind NorCap were also behind Keops Development that was bought by Icelandic Landic Property some years ago. It was Landic that first launched the Lighthouse project but soon after went bankrupt because of the decline of Icelandic economy as a consequence of the financial crisis.

A small rendering of the hotel project

Sorry for the long post.

·
Member #109
2,714 Posts
Sorry for the long post.
Don't be, it's much appriciated. :)

ARoS - Your Rainbow Panorama
So what's happening right now, it construction halted? Wasn't there some problems with the weight of this new installation?

Rejsegilde - Care taking apartments at Ceres allé. The new municipal caretaking apartments for elderly is a 7 storey building and compared to most other caretaking apartments quite beautiful.
Beautiful is a strong word, but I agree that it's pretty good. I'm not sold on the raw concrete facade though, never liked those. Do you know if it's supposed to be painted?

The 5 buildings in the background at the horizon is Gellerupparken.
Ah those memories...actually lived there for 2 years. Really hope they'll start re-building/transforming of the area soon, it's quite bad as it is today. Not my cup of tea...

But thanks for the photos. :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Thanks for a great update Asbjørn. When I was studing in Aarhus I worked at DSB Stykgodscentral, so it brings back the memories to see those pictures:)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ah those memories...actually lived there [in Gellerupparken] for 2 years. Really hope they'll start re-building/transforming of the area soon, it's quite bad as it is today. Not my cup of tea...
I hope so too. The renderings and the plans, that I have seen and read, look nice. I like that they want mixed functions in the buildings with the stores at the ground floor, offices in the next couple of floors and then residential apartments in the upper floors.

And thanks for the update, Asbjoern. I agree that nothing much has been going on in here for a while. Unfortunately I think there is an obvious reason...

·
Construction Time Again
1,274 Posts
Great update, Asbjoern! Thanks :eek:kay:

·
Grave Architecture
518 Posts
So what's happening right now, it construction halted? Wasn't there some problems with the weight of this new installation?
Yes, there was/is. But the problem seemed like only a "minor" repair that wouldn't create a huge delay for the art installation. I think they're still working on the repair though, because nothing seems to have changed with the installation since my last photo update of the project.
The problem is that ARoS was originally built with this flaw. It was supposed to be able to lift the installation, but the entrepreneur hadn't constructed it properly, so they are paying the costs for the repairs. There's also a problem with the bricks on the facade which aren't all in the same colour. The municipality has received an economic compensation for this.

Beautiful is a strong word, but I agree that it's pretty good. I'm not sold on the raw concrete facade though, never liked those. Do you know if it's supposed to be painted?
From this photo I took some months ago it looks like the facade is going to be concrete or some kind of white painting/cladding. I don't have any other details on this matter though, but I don't imagine it is going to be raw concrete.

Ah those memories...actually lived there for 2 years. Really hope they'll start re-building/transforming of the area soon, it's quite bad as it is today. Not my cup of tea...
It seems - from the information regarding financing on the project's website - that the work is going to start in 2013. The local plan is in public hearing now and just today there was an article in JP/Århus that 11 muslim organizations are against the project because it doesn't involve a mosque as previously proposed on the green area towards Ringvejen.

I've lived in Digterparken just next to Gellerupparken on the other side of Ringvejen, and I can only agree that it's an area with a lot of problems both socially but also with the buildings' aesthetics. It feels too much like a monotone, mass construction, suburban environment, which is exactly what the new vison of Gellerupparken is going to remedy.

·
Grave Architecture
518 Posts
Yes, there was/is. But the problem seemed like only a "minor" repair that wouldn't create a huge delay for the art installation. I think they're still working on the repair though, because nothing seems to have changed with the installation since my last photo update of the project.
I'll have to correct myself on that. My view was based on what has been expressed in the media and their representation of the delay wasn't striking in any way. A quote of a quote:

Bestyrelsformand for ARoS, Carsten Fode, er også træt af den nye forsinkelse.

”Det er en træls situation. Men jeg er glad for at kommunen som bygherre straks har taget hånd om at få problemerne løst. Vi vil nu sammen sikre, at udbedringsarbejdet sker så hurtigt som muligt og med mindst mulig gene for publikum,” siger han.
huh, a fast repair?

I've received some new information on this though. My girlfriend met with a friend from Berlin yesterday who works at Olafur Eliassons studio. She told that the installation has been delayed with a couple of years actually. This is not official - and perhaps it isn't true - but I thought I would share this information with you none the less. It seems a bit strange that a repair of this character can delay a project for a couple of years though.

If the construction starts in some months again then we know it wasn't "a couple of years".

·
Grave Architecture
518 Posts
A small update of low relevance but posititive construction news from Århus have been few.

Here's a picture of the non-existing activity at the Docklands from Nordre Kirkegård.

I don't think there's been any pictures of this office building here yet. It is designed by schmidt hammer lassen and perhaps the prettiest building of 2009 in Århus.

Århus skyline viewed from the harbour.

The only work being done on the harbour is this underground rain and waste water pool. When this is finished the construction of the multimedia house should start.

·
Grave Architecture
518 Posts
New youth quarter planned for the docklands:

Unge får eget kvarter på havnen
Af MARTIN JOHANSEN
Offentliggjort 04.05.10kl. 12:03

Allerede om to år kan unge og studerende være de første til at flytte ind på de bynære havnearealer i Århus.

Boligforeningen Ringgården, der mistede tålmodigheden med Lighthouseprojektet og gik solo, har nu fået udpeget en grund lige op til lystbådehavnen på pier 4.

Her vil boligforeningen opføre et 12-etager højt hus på 4.800 etagemeter med omkring 90 ungdomsboliger. De fleste lejligheder bliver på ca. 50 kvm og med to værelser.

Med Ringgårdens exit fra Lighthouseprojektet har Århus Kommune set en mulighed for at skabe et helt kvarter med ungdomsboliger og kollegier.

Udsigt til flere studerende
Magistraten godkendte mandag en indstilling, der giver mulighed for yderligere tre bebyggelser ved siden af Ringgårdens projekt. Alt i alt vil der, hvis byrådet godkender det, kunne opføres 16.000 kvm ungdomsboliger og kollegieværelser. Fuldt udnyttet svarer det til knapt 400 boliger med plads til over 500 unge og studerende.

Kommunen regner med, at der er behov for denne type byggeri, da der i de kommende år forventes yderligere 10.000 studerende til Århus. Ideen er at skabe et studie- og ungdomsmiljø, der kan fungere som en generator for udviklingen af bylivet på havnen, hvor det hidtil er gået langsomt med at få gang i de private byggeprojekter.

Campusmiljøet på pier 4 ventes også at være attraktivt for de op mod 2.000 studerende, der om få år får deres gang på havnen i Navitas Park, hvor bl.a. Ingeniørhøjskolen og Maskinmesterskolen rykker ind.

·
Grave Architecture
518 Posts
I've been looking around the web without success so far. I'm hoping there will be some coverage in JPÅrhus tomorrow. If that is the case I will let you know.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts

Nice photos, Asbjoern, this place just scream for a couple of nice highrises..
Thanks for update Asboern.

I´m almost certain the area on the left is where the new library is planned so there will be no high-rises on just that spot.
Note the new light rail (tram) going under and serving, the building

This night view is almost exactly the same angle as Asbjoerns photo.

·
Grave Architecture
518 Posts
For more info about past, ongoing and planned projects in Århus, check out this site: http://www.martinshjemmeside.dk/aarhus/

As you can see he hasn't updated it recently, but it is still a very informative and interesting site. The interactive map is awesome!

It's good to see that this thread has been brought back to life. Keep up the good work!
It's a very informative website and I've used it a lot, but as you've written yourself, it isn't being updated any more except for some posts yesterday. It's really a shame, but it's also funny though. Nearly all the projects he mentions on the first page is under construction now, two years later.

For people lacking a place to find updates on Århus city development, then I've launched my own blog two days ago actually. It's called ARKITEKTUR | AARHUS and I plan to cover contruction and architecture in Århus, both in the future, now and historically.

It still needs a ton of work but the most important feature, the news, is up and running now. I'll be posting all of my photo updates there in the future, but whether I'll also be posting my content here at SSC is not something I've fully decided yet. It depends on my time.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Wow, so you are the one - thanks:) I guess I have to start updating then.

101 - 120 of 3129 Posts