Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was mentioning the Arena on the music thread a bit a go,and it got me wondering what it would have been like if we had this site 20 years ago and what we would have been discussing.

We would have been in a race with Birmingham to build the first new Arena in Britain for many years, indeed i think ours was the biggest until 92 when the NIA was completed 12,000 compared to 13,000 for theirs.

We would have had pics of Ponds Forge being built,may be a pic of the bus that ended up in the diving pit whilst it was still under construction...any one remember that?!!

It was a good time in the period of 1989 -1991

Ponds Forge
Don Valley Stadium
Graves Tennis Centre,
Hillsborough Leisure centre,
Sheffield Arena,
Concord upgrade,
Lyceum refubishment
Supertram constuction,
Hyde park reclad,the first reclad in Sheffield i think.
Meadowhall
demoilision of Hyde park block B
and Sheaf valley baths,
the old bus station
Expansion of Hallam uni was about to get underway

It was a good period of change, nothing compared to now i must say, but was this the kick up the arse that Sheffield needed, i think it was.

What are your opinions?

·
18,099 Posts
i think it was the beginnings of something. it was what the city needed, a kick up the arse to get it out of the pit it had sunk into. i am just old enough to remember some of these, i remember distinctly the hole in the road which i still miss from time to time, alhough i agree that the trams took priority. the trams always were a huge benefit to the city, and although meadowhall ditracted people from the city centre it still brought people from outer towns into sheffield, which has helped to kick-start a major retail battle this decade (which i have to say the city centre is winning right now) The refurb of the lyceum was a very important development as it was one of the first older buildings to be rennovated better than it was before, it showed that sheffield has some beautiful historical buildings that need to be saved, i beleive that the cleaning up of the town hall came from this as well as the need to refurbish things such as the city hall. I agree that it was a great period of change that was the start of the boom that we are in now :)

we would have been seeing things like this:

hole in the road demolition

hyde park demolition

ponds forge construction

completion of the new park square and trams

And building meadowhall

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Park sq has matured very well and i love that picture of Ponds Forge.

Strange to think that the hole in the road became a tomb for the Hyde Park flats rubble. RIP

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
When did the Kelvin flats get knocked down? I seem to remember them in the early 90's (I was just starting my degree at Sheff Poly - now Hallam in 1990). Were they as big as I think they were?

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
When did the Kelvin flats get knocked down? I seem to remember them in the early 90's (I was just starting my degree at Sheff Poly - now Hallam in 1990). Were they as big as I think they were?

Yes they were very big.
They were a long zig zagging wall of flats which went on from between
Looking at today's map I think they stretched from Albert Terrace Road to Whitehouse Lane.

I had several friends at school who lived in them and it was a rough place with regular stories of heavy things being thrown like old TVs and suicides.
Very grim. I understand they tidied up one end of them and put CCTV and better security in so people would stay.

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
Yeah Kelvin Flats was massive biggest flats in europe something wasn't it? I remember GCSE Geography and doing it as a case study. There is a housing estate were it was now and you can tell from the the size of its foot print how big it was.

I'm glad they built the arena out of the city though the traffic is horrific as it is and its next to the M1 imagine if it was in the city!! Plus I think you can tell Ponds Forge took up most of the budget as it still looks good today where as the arena has seen better days I do love it though!!!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where were Kelvin Flats? Were these the Upperthorpe ones?

And aren't Hyde Park still there? Clad in red and beige...
yes except block B which went in 1991 and was the biggest block..well huge!

Infact if you look to the right hand side of Kyles photo you can see the reclad block and compare the sizes

·
Non!
2,166 Posts
Thanks Kyle -very intersting. Looking of that photo of the Hole reminds me of other Sheffield buses. I remember visiting the city around 1990 and there being two firms of small buses called Little Nippers and Eager Beavers (I think). Any photos anyone? Or did I imagine them?!

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
I remember Little Nippers, they were around when i was a little nipper,lol. They did away with them probably about 10 years+ ago though.

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
Yeah Kelvin Flats was massive biggest flats in europe something wasn't it? I remember GCSE Geography and doing it as a case study. There is a housing estate were it was now and you can tell from the the size of its foot print how big it was.

I doubt that personally, park hill seems to be a bigger complex and hyde park was extremely tall as well as massive..

·
18,099 Posts
That building on the corner of Fitzallen Square is gorgeous - what happened to it?
i know i loved that too. they stripped it and reclad it in the concrete monstrosity we have there now.

ive got a book about old sheffield that has quite a few photos of the original building, it was beautiful

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
That building on the corner of Fitzallen Square is gorgeous - what happened to it?
It seems everyone has a soft spot for that building. Mind you, there are still some great buildings down by the market, it's just a shame it's a relatively isolated part of town.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts