Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Devonport Marine Square Upgrade goes ahead

April 08, 2009

Devonport Master Plan (incl. Marine Square)

Residents and visitors alike are a step closer to a more memorable entry to Devonport following North Shore City Council approval of the architectural design for Marine Square at the Infrastructure and Environment Committee meeting today.

The car park, road reserve and public transport area outside Devonport and Victoria wharves is known as Marine Square.

Sills van Bohemen Architecture, authors of the Devonport Master Plan and winners of an early urban design competition, have advanced the design of Marine Square as set out in the master plan.

The master plan takes a co-ordinated and long-term approach to development throughout the Devonport Town Centre. The plan focuses around three particular areas namely Marine Square, Bartley Square and Victoria Rd.

Committee Chair, Councillor Ken McKay, says that the area of Marine Square as a maritime gateway to Devonport and the North Shore needs to work well for commuters and visitors alike.

“This project will help improve pedestrian links making the area more user-friendly for locals and tourists.

“The upgrade includes constructing a boardwalk making a safe and clear route from the ferry to Victoria Road.

“While small changes will need to be made to Devonport Wharf to integrate the boardwalk, it will provide an interim solution until long-term decisions can be made about the wharf’s future,” he says.

Mike Cohen, Chair of Devonport Community Board, says the community board has been closely involved over many years in helping develop the master plan and it is great to see this first project coming out of that plan.

“People arriving in Devonport for the first time; struggle to get the lay of the land. They walk off a ferry straight into a car park before finding their way to the town centre and experiencing the charm of our seaside village.

“The Marine Square upgrade will address this important issue for Devonport as it establishes a much better connection from the wharf area to the town centre beautifully framed by Mount Victoria,” he says.

Budget constraints have meant that the Victoria Rd palm extension, Esplanade Hotel frontage upgrade and reconfiguration of King Edward Parade intersection to improve pedestrian and traffic safety are not part of this upgrade. These projects will be postponed and implemented once funding becomes available.

The Marine Square upgrade, which includes changes to the car park and boardwalk, has been estimated at $4.9m. The upgrade will take place after the Rugby World Cup in 2011.

Next steps are obtaining resource consents from North Shore City and Auckland Regional councils. Initial planning indicates that final design and construction will commence in 2012/13 with the project due to be completed in 2013/14.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Devonport Marine Square in final preparation stages

Published 18 October 2010

North Shore City Council said on Thursday the Devonport Marine Square project was in its final design stage and resource consent would be publicly notified soon. Subject to that consent being granted, construction would start in early 2012.

The project is a redesign of the pedestrian flow between the Devonport ferry wharf building and Victoria St, Devonport’s main retail street. Improved paving & crossings are among elements in the plan.

A new ferry building entry & exit is proposed in line with Victoria St and a timber boardwalk is planned, possibly with outdoor seating for ferry building businesses.

The existing Marine Square parking area will have more landscaping, drop-off points & bus parking.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yeah it has been an embarassment for years. I think because it was so disconnected from the rest of Devonport locals never really used it, except on on the way through to town. Also the design of it is far too inward facing, they have this wonderful view but apart from the restaurants up the top nothing really takes advantage of it.

·
Gotta lite?
6,078 Posts
Was the restaurant that was there any good? I often fear of restaurants in attractive tourist spots because they attract a lot of tourists. Nothing against tourists ;O) But this means a constantly changing customer base, i.e. customers who don't return and that sometimes results in lower quality.

Anyway, when I passed through the wharf last November it was ok. Nothing special but not run down, just a bit dead and not the best design. I guess it could do with a bit of a renovation. The idea to improve this square is good as well. Devonport is one of my favourite parts of Auckland, though it's pretty hard not to like the area.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
So are the upper floors active again? Last I saw they'd had to call a structural engineer in to inspect them because there was some question about water getting in and rusting the structure. I believe they'd found out that some of the exterior staircases and balustrades were stuffed but the overall structure was sound. I do recall a few years ago they had to shut off the wooden walkway along the northern side of the wharf.

·
Retired
1,214 Posts
So are the upper floors active again? Last I saw they'd had to call a structural engineer in to inspect them because there was some question about water getting in and rusting the structure. I believe they'd found out that some of the exterior staircases and balustrades were stuffed but the overall structure was sound. I do recall a few years ago they had to shut off the wooden walkway along the northern side of the wharf.
Heard similar a couple of years back.. that place was a **** up from the get go....

G

·
This is part of the project ...

Revitalising Clarence Street, Devonport

The proposed upgrade aims to unlock the street’s potential by creating a larger civic space outside the Devonport Community House and The Depot Artspace for community activities and events. The proposed design also aims to increase pedestrian safety by widening the footpath and improving road crossing areas. Enhancing the area will not only benefit local pedestrians and shoppers, it will also help support the area’s local businesses. The community’s desire to make the street more pedestrian friendly and create a more interesting destination for people to visit and spend time in was also identified during the development of the Devonport Master Plan in 2006. It is estimated the upgrade will cost approximately $700,000 and construction is scheduled for late 2012 resource consent pending.

Proposed design and features

Widening the footpath in front of the Devonport Community House and The Depot Artspace so the area can be used for community events such as gallery openings and markets.
Reconfiguring existing parking outside the Devonport Community House and The Depot Artspace so the spaces are parallel to the kerb. This will result in two fewer car parks but make the path safer by creating a wider walkway which is free of parking and visual obstruction.
Extending the kerbs on the corner of Bartley Terrace and Clarence Street to make it safer for pedestrians to cross the entrance of Bartley Terrace.
Extending the kerbs on the corner of Wynyard Street, and Anne Street and Clarence Street to make it easier for pedestrians to cross the road.
Enhancing Devonport's historic characteristics with use of materials such as bluestone kerbs and asphalt.

DESIGN PLAN

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.