SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1296 Posts

·
Joi Bangla
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dhaka Bangladesh

The most common image that usually comes to mind for most peope about this city is poverty and floods. But Dhaka is a city far more than that and infact is much more modern and beautiful than most people think. Though the poverty is there, it has made great progress over the years in poverty reduction has been investing heavily on infrastructure development to make up for the great growth of the city, the fastest growing city in the world. The population of the city has gone from 1 million 35 years ago to its current fifteen million. In this time it has also become the worlds densest city with 85 000 people per square kilometre. Dhaka's is also home to the 2006 Nobel Peace prize winner, Dr. Younis.

Modern Dhaka is the centre of political, cultural and economic life in Bangladesh, enjoying the highest literacy rate amongst other Bangladeshi cities and a diverse economy. While the urban infrastructure is the most developed in the country, Dhaka suffers from severe challenges such as pollution, congestion, supply shortages, poverty and crime. In recent decades Dhaka has seen a modernisation of transport, communications and public works. The city is attracting considerable foreign investment, greater volumes of commerce and trade and an increasing influx of people from across the nation.

All pictures courtesy of forumers Tmac, Nayeem and mirzazeehan.

\

And finally i think the image that sums up Dhaka...

Other facts about Dhaka
-was founded in the seventh century
-it was the capital of Bengal and other empires centred in Bengal until the arrival of the British
-Bangladesh did not gain independance till 1971 from Pakistan and thus the city was neglected for many decades.
-Currently there is a 6 line subway planned for the city
-Many of te worlds biggest hotel chains are also currently building hotels there such as Hilton, Westin, and Holidae Inn

For more on the city please visit the general asian forum

·
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D
3,138 Posts
Dhakaiya you should post your pics here, Not in the other thread, because it all about Bangladeshi skyscrapers

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Yup, we needed a separate one on Dhaka. From now all Dhaka posts will be here while all non-Dhaka threads on Bangladesh thread. Good job Zaki :)

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Originally posted by Tmac

Eunoos Center

Planners Tower

UTC

SQUARE Hospital

NSC Tower

Jiban Bima Tower

Dilkusha Avenue

Panthopath

Paribagh

Golf Heights

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Apartments and lake are a common feature of Dhaka. Originally posted by Tmac

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Its just a lake not a river. I don't think its clean, its so much close to a residential area so I guess unruly teenagers (I'm one of them :D ) will often dump waste food and drinks in them :lol:

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Dhaka is definitely a booming metropolis. I can see lots of construction in some of the pics in many Bangladeshi threads. 15 million-- that represents 10% of the entire population of Bangladesh ! A city that is surrounded by greenery and natural beauty :)

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Great, now I get to have bananas and throw banana skin the water. :D (Hope the Police don't see me though :lol: )

1 - 20 of 1296 Posts