Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2122 Posts

·
Tetulia theke Teknaf
1,865 Posts
good idea, amar. just put a link to the previous thread from the top of this thread like the link from the bottom of the previous thread to this thread.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Nagasaki - New Japanese restaurant in Uttara

Tried out this new Japanese restaurant in Uttara called Nagasaki. It's on Road 6, Sector 1 - essentially the goli next to Fakhruddin's restaurant and very close to Scholastica.

Very good decor and an original Japanese setting. The owner is Japanese and so is the chef. The food was quite good I must say. Was good to have some sushi after a while.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Tried out this new Japanese restaurant in Uttara called Nagasaki. It's on Road 6, Sector 1 - essentially the goli next to Fakhruddin's restaurant and very close to Scholastica.

Very good decor and an original Japanese setting. The owner is Japanese and so is the chef. The food was quite good I must say. Was good to have some sushi after a while.
Good going :)

So what was the damage (to the wallet I mean) and based on what item?

I'm a tempura fan myself...

·
Pengguna Jelata
2,814 Posts
A food, too bad i dont know what's the name :(

·
Tetulia theke Teknaf
1,865 Posts
parattha - for sure. i always thought that kind of parattha was dhakaiya parattha. these days, i hear more and more people calling it malaysian parattha.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good going :)

So what was the damage (to the wallet I mean) and based on what item?

I'm a tempura fan myself...
We had a large platter of sushi (12 pieces), shrimp tempura (7 pieces) and fried chicken (7 skewers). They also served complimentary appetizers and miso soup. The bill came down to BDT 2,500, but with an additional 20% (VAT and service charges), we ended up paying around BDT 3,200. There were two of us.

So all in all, quite an expensive meal. But then again, it's all relative, if you asked me. Considering how prices in Dhaka have sky-rocketed in recent times, I'd say it was like the average restaurant in Gulshan. This is 'probably' the only authentic restaurant of its kind in Uttara and that too, without falling within the most popular cuisine types, i.e. Chinese and Thai. Therefore, will be interesting to see how it does over the longer term.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
We had a large platter of sushi (12 pieces), shrimp tempura (7 pieces) and fried chicken (7 skewers). They also served complimentary appetizers and miso soup. The bill came down to BDT 2,500, but with an additional 20% (VAT and service charges), we ended up paying around BDT 3,200. There were two of us.

So all in all, quite an expensive meal. But then again, it's all relative, if you asked me. Considering how prices in Dhaka have sky-rocketed in recent times, I'd say it was like the average restaurant in Gulshan. This is 'probably' the only authentic restaurant of its kind in Uttara and that too, without falling within the most popular cuisine types, i.e. Chinese and Thai. Therefore, will be interesting to see how it does over the longer term.
Thanks for the rundown.

A comparable meal in LA would definitely exceed $100 in any mid-grade sushi joint so the price seems quite reasonable.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
A food, too bad i dont know what's the name :(

That's a traditional food from the old parts of Dhaka if I'm halfway right. It's called 'Bakarkhani' bread (Roti).

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
^^ Really hard to tell whether that is Bakarkhani or Paratha just from pic. Old Dhaka parathas from near DU are my favorite...soft, fluffy, not greasy feeling at all (though they are certainly rich). Here in US I go for the "Malaysian" parathas but they are not the same.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
We had a large platter of sushi (12 pieces), ...
The real McCoy, as in raw fish? Or were these the cooked kind? Are the typical sushi fish like tuna, mackerel, snapper, salmon (roe) available in Dhaka? Do the Japanese restaurants import these from somewhere?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
^^ Really hard to tell whether that is Bakarkhani or Paratha just from pic. Old Dhaka parathas from near DU are my favorite...soft, fluffy, not greasy feeling at all (though they are certainly rich). Here in US I go for the "Malaysian" parathas but they are not the same.
The reason I say it is Bakarkhani is because,

1. The smaller size of the Roti (the size of a dessert plate).

2. The fact that it cracked nicely across the length -- hinting at the harder shell, and

3. Some hint of the innards which are faintly visible

But -- yes, could be mini Paratas as well.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The real McCoy, as in raw fish? Or were these the cooked kind? Are the typical sushi fish like tuna, mackerel, snapper, salmon (roe) available in Dhaka? Do the Japanese restaurants import these from somewhere?
Yes real fish (sigh). I doubt the fish is really imported, as it would probably take the prices to LA standards for sure, much to the disappointment of Manbil.

Typical sushi fish here is snapper, salmon, tuna, eel, shrimp, cuttlefish etc. Actually there are many more types, considering the amount of fish that's available in Bangladesh.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Nagasaki : The new Japanese Restaurant

Suddenly came across this write-up in the latest edition of the Bangladesh Monitor. The restaurant's apparently been open since March this year. I was there last Friday - definitely a must try.

Nagasaki : The new Japanese Restaurant

_A Monitor Report
Dhaka : Among the Oriental foods popular in Dhaka, Chinese food is definitely an all-time favourite among all the food lovers. This is followed by Korean and Japanese food, the latter being a recent inclusion.

Since there is quite a big Japanese population residing in Dhaka, this type of restaurant is slowly be coming popular. Japanese food is less spicy compared to our food. Also, the basic cooking style and ingredients differ a lot. That is possibly the reason, why Japanese food could not top the popularity list here.

Nevertheless, in recent times, a few restaurants have opened in Dhaka, which serve only Japanese food. Nagasaki, though the name of a bomb-struck.

Japanese city, is also the name of the new Japanese restaurant in Dhaka.
It opened in March this year. The two-storied restaurant is done up in a typical Japanese style. The two different types of floor sittings. Horikotasu and Ozashki, are maintained here. In a typical Japanese fashion, one has to take off the shoes before entering the dining halls of the restaurant. Natural wood floors and screens, adorned with Japanese features adds a touch of authenticity to the place.

The restaurant can accommodate around 70 guests, wherein one can also opt for a private dining for a small crowd of 10.

It is managed by a Japanese team, which consists of a chef, along with other management staffs.

Nagasaki, is possibly the only place in Dhaka that ser-ves Japanese cuisine only.
Ranging from sushi's and tempuras to other Japanese dishes, one can even choose from their lunch boxes and set lunches - where the food is also set in a typical Japa-nese manner.

It is open seven days a week, for lunch and dinner.
Located at a convenient spot in Uttara, (House-13, Road-6, Sector -1), it is at a stone's throw from the Zia International Airport. Most of the days, their evenings are full with Japanese expats and their friend and family - who drop in to taste their very own cuisine at a foreign land.

http://www.bangladeshmonitor.net/news_detail.php?nhid=341&CID=7

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Jharna Grill,Sonargoan Hotel,Kawranbazar

SpitFire,Gulshan

Dejavu Cafe,Gulshan

Nagasaki,Uttara[Japanese Cuisine]

Casa Greek,Gulshan[Greek Cuisine]

Baton Rouge,Gulshan

Western Grill Aircraft Restaurant,Gulshan[inside a real aeroplane]

Pics belong to: