• yes, discouraged

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • no, didn't discourage

Votes: 8 80.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
No, I don't think so. But it is not easy to get the Summer Olympics; competition is very fierce. There are lessons to be learned from past Olympics, though... they don't provide the expected tourism bump afterward, and often not during the event either. Also they always cost a LOT more money than had been predicted, and many expenses get "hidden".

·
D & Y
98,010 Posts
Yes, but it was a waste of our time and money because clearly the Olympic committee had pre-determined which city they were going to choose before the bidding even began. Also, they didn't
get into the bribing business, either.
why did they pick Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver then?

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
why did they pick Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver then?
Montreal was in 1976, which was a long time ago, and the only time Canada has had the Summer Olympics. Those were simpler times and it tended to be more of a smaller group of nations that held the Olympics. Now nations like Russia, China, and countries from Africa and South America are in the running, whereas they were not back in 1976. Calgary and Vancouver were both Winter Olympics (although during our last Winter Olympics I got the feeling that most people didn't even know or remember that Calgary had also hosted them before). Competition for Winter Olympics is less than the ferocious competition for the Summer Olympics. No slight to the Winter Olympics, but the Summer ones are considered the bigger show, and are much harder to land... and probably Vancouver having had the Summer Olympics just recently would make it even more difficult for Toronto to get the Summer Olympics for awhile. So, I still maintain that like it or not, countries for the Summer Olympics are chosen for reasons known only to the Olympic Committee. The Olympic organisation is a private, for-profit organisation. It can say, or do anything it wants and is answerable to no-one. Governments around the world pour money into infrastructure for the Olympics, and it is not required to reveal what the profits are to anyone.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Yes, but it was a waste of our time and money because clearly the Olympic committee had pre-determined which city they were going to choose before the bidding even began. Also, they didn't
get into the bribing business, either.
Or that Toronto picked the wrong fight each time? It attempted to host Canada's third Olympics in the space of 20 years by going for 1996, and then went up against Beijing's inevitability when going for 2008.

Toronto is a hugely capable, potential host of the Summer Olympics - I'm just unconvinced that it was the right choice each time it has bid thus far.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
So, like it or not, I still maintain that countries for the Summer Olympics are chosen for political reasons. The Olympic organisation is a private corporation. It can say, or do anything it wants and is answerable to no-one. Governments around the world pour money into infrastructure for the Olympics, and the private organisation keeps the profits for themselves and is not required to reveal what those are to anyone.

You're on the money - hence why we saw Atlanta's selection for 1996 over the likes of Athens, Melbourne and Toronto (but to be the devils advocate - all the 1996 bid cities have their respective handicaps - and Athens simply wasn't ready - so the IOC went back to the honeypot that gave them 1984)

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I still say screw the Olympics, lets bring a World Expo to Toronto. Montreal benefited huge and still does from it's expo, and Vancouver did as well just not as much.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I still say screw the Olympics, lets bring a World Expo to Toronto. Montreal benefited huge and still does from it's expo, and Vancouver did as well just not as much.
Montreal benefited from Expo because it was 1967. Fast forward to 1986 - and the event was at the start of its decline, hence why the 80s and 90s editions were lacklustre and forgettable compared to the big ones like Montreal and Seattle before 1970.

The World's Fair is a relic of the pre-Internet, Cold War world. How many people do you know can recall Aichi 2005 or Zaragoza 2008? They carry a high risk of financial failure, much more so than the Olympics. Toronto is above it, IMO.

·
39,220 Posts
I don't see much of a future for the World Expo either. Once in a blue moon there will be one that catches the world's attention, but they're largely ignored these days. The WC and Olympics are a big deal still, but agree that the process is highly politicized. Cities and countries that want to host these should do so accepting that.

We should also keep in mind that the vast majority of the cost of hosting goes into infrastructure upgrades and expansion. These are usually things that we wanted/needed to build any way. Hosting an Olympics acts as a catalyst to investment in our cities while only a small portion of the multi billion dollar cost is never seen again. Even things like salaries for security gets funneled back into the economy when these people spend their income.

The only potential white elephant for a Toronto Olympics or World Cup would be a stadium. We don't need anything larger than 40,000 seats so a 80,000 seater must be designed so that it can be downsized immediately afterwards.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts