Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, I apologize for not being able to speak German. I don't speak the language (yet)

Second, the photos that I will show are not mine. And Belok's photos are protected. Don't use it without permission, please. He agreed to the request it normally, but the photos have all rights reserved.

Thank you for your patience and for allowing me to show the historical side of Madrid. ;)

Church of San Pedro el Viejo​

Lujanes' House and Tower​

Torre y Casas de los Lujanes por Bélok, en Flickr

Church of San Jerónimo

Los Jerónimos por Bélok, en Flickr

interior de los Jerónimos por Bélok, en Flickr​

Plaza Mayor​

Royal Monastery of La Encarnación​

La Encarnación por Bélok, en Flickr

Church of San Antonio de los Alemanes​

Quevedo's Statue​

Monumento a Quevedo por Bélok, en Flickr

Monumento a Quevedo por Bélok, en Flickr​

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Danke ;)

Church of San Nicolas de los Servitas​
(Its belltower is the most ancient of Madrid. It's maybe a minaret

Madrid. Torre mudéjar de San Nicolás por Enriqueluis, en Flickr

Monastery of Las Descalzas Reales (Main Staircase)

Church of Las Calatravas​

Armed Forces Cathedral​

The Fallen Angel​

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
Gracias! :applause: More please!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, I'm glad you like them. Although I'm just the messenger, the real characters in this thread are the photographers :cheers:

Moor Gardens, Royal Palace and Shell Fountain​

Fuente de las Conchas por Bélok, en Flickr

Fuente de las Conchas por Bélok, en Flickr

Fuente de las Conchas por Bélok, en Flickr​

Cervantes, Don Quixote and Sancho Panza (Plaza de España)​

Caballero de Gracia's Royal Oratory​

Santa Teresa's Chapel (Church of Saint Joseph)​

Alcalá Gate​

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Madrid es de puta madre! Eine wirklich tolle Stadt, auch wenn die Altstadt doch recht übersichtlich ist. Die wahre Qualität liegt woanders.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hello :)

If I'm correct, the translation to your sentence is:

A really great city, even if the old town is quite clear. The true quality lies elsewhere.

Well, I don't quite understand what you mean, I guess you're referring to it's not the most unique European or Spanish Old Town. You're probably OK, of course, nobody ever thought of turning Madrid into a special city. But I think the old town has some interest, especially historical and cultural (Ok, Madrid Old Town's architecture is not the greatest). In the old town, they lived at other times all the great writers of the Spanish Golden Age: Quevedo, Lope de Vega, Cervantes, Góngora, Tirso de Molina, Calderon de la Barca ... some of they even keep their homes. Cervantes is buried in one of the convents of Madrid (unfortunately, nobody find his remains.) The King of France was imprisoned in the Lujanes Tower. In a hermitage whose walls were decorated by Goya, his remains was lie. Castilian Courts were held repeatedly in San Jeronimo el Real, a church where they have also been crowned kings. The Monastery of Las Descalzas Reales holds numerous works of art of the best Spanish Baroque painters and sculptors. The church of Las Calatravas has a Baroque altarpiece was designed by Churriguera, who was an important architect who gave his name to a style widely used in Spain and Latin America (churrigueresco). Tiepolo worked in the Royal Palace, the equestrian statue of Felipe IV (a Pietro Tacca's work) was the first in the world to support the weight only with the horse's hind legs (the sculptor Pietro Tacca had to ask for help from Galileo Galilei) ... etc.

I would like to unravel the secrets of the old town of Madrid, but my English is not good and I haven't so much time.

Sorry, I don't speak German :(

See you ;)

P.S. Or perhaps you mean the old town is squeaky clean and boring. If I'm ok, saying that Chueca, Malasaña, etc. are in the old town.

Okay, I don't know what you mean. :lol:

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
By "übersichtlich" thun was ironically referring to the old town's rather tiny size. ;)

But I'd still love to see more material of it, if there's any. It's been some time since I visited the Spanish capital.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ah, ok :)

Well, I wanted to show more pictures, but will have to wait. I had a little problem with the photographer, I have to talk to him to see what happened. It's nothing, I think he didn't recognize my nickname, because he gave me permission to use them in the forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts