Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm writing from Spain, I have never been to USA, but I see a lot of pictures and of course I would like to know, as it's such a big country what are the differences between the east coast caracter and the west coast caracter. Is there any? What are Miami people known for¿? And San Francisco? How is the character like, does exist a typical caracter? To give you an example, in generally in europe it's quite easy to difference a spanish guy from a german or a finish, not only for their looking but also for their behavior and caracter.
north europe people use to be more serious, they stay (due to the cold weather and the long winter) more time in their houses, in difference spanish, portuguese and italian people like to go out for fiesta, very sociable persons who enjoy life in the street or at the beach until early morning. Can you give me an idea of the usa - differences?
Muchas gracias

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Yes there are big differences!! Miami for example is 59% foreign born and get this 74% speak another language other than english as their first!!(majority are hispanics). The northeast has its own character and Unique accents to like the new york accent and boston etc, the northeast is very different then the southeast,but ill let others explain that. I havent really been to the west coast so ill let others answer that too lol. But i imagine San Francisco has its own unique character.
Here is a picture of Montpellier vermont(northeast)

·
18,288 Posts
Hello,
I'm writing from Spain, I have never been to USA, but I see a lot of pictures and of course I would like to know, as it's such a big country what are the differences between the east coast caracter and the west coast caracter. Is there any? What are Miami people known for¿? And San Francisco? How is the character like, does exist a typical caracter? To give you an example, in generally in europe it's quite easy to difference a spanish guy from a german or a finish, not only for their looking but also for their behavior and caracter.
north europe people use to be more serious, they stay (due to the cold weather and the long winter) more time in their houses, in difference spanish, portuguese and italian people like to go out for fiesta, very sociable persons who enjoy life in the street or at the beach until early morning. Can you give me an idea of the usa - differences?
Muchas gracias
I'll be honest and cut to the chase for you, there are so many differences in this country between regions and even states that all the responses in the world won't be able to explain how someone from Seattle is difference from someone from Boston or someone from Atlanta or someone from Denver or someone from Little Rock.

·
Just another user
376 Posts
I like to equate US states with European Countries. Each state has its own personality in the US, and you can still be in the same country and feel like you're in a different continent.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Hello,
Muchas gracias
well as you probably know most people in miami are hispanic, so when people from spain, cuba, puerto rico etc... come they feel like they are in latin america.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The different regions of the USA function much like different countries except we have a common currency and federal government.

A great deal of our services and dealings are with state governments - not the federal government. The federal government mostly funds defense and then throws in funds to states when they present projects they're working on.

States in the northwest, southeast, midwest, south, east coast and new england are many times as different as you can get.

What amazes me is how so many people in one nation can have so little knowledge on the cultures of people living in their same country, it's just so huge.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
The USA is so vast and diverse one could look at the differences in dialects in the country.

• American English (AmE)

o Cultural
 African-American Vernacular English (AAVE)
 Appalachian English
 General American
 Hawaiian Pidgin English
 Chicano English
 Native American English (Amerindian English) (see also subtypes below)
 Pennsylvania Dutchified English
 Yinglish

o Regional

Northeastern dialects

 Baltimorese
 Boston English
 Northeast Pennsylvania English (Scranton, Pennsylvania-area)
 Hudson Valley English (Albany, New York-area)
 Maine-New Hampshire English
 Philadelphia-area English
 Pittsburgh English
 Providence-area English
 New York-New Jersey English
 Nuyorican English
 Vermont English
 Mid-Atlantic dialects
 Tidewater accent
 Virginia Piedmont
 Virginia Tidewater [1]

Midwest

 Inland North American (Lower peninsula of Michigan, northern Ohio and Indiana, Chicago, part of eastern Wisconsin and upstate New York) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_North_American

This is the one I speak. The Inland North Dialect of American English was the "standard Midwestern" speech that was the basis for General American in the mid-20th Century, though it has been recently modified by the northern cities vowel shift.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_cities_vowel_shift

General American [ Also know as Standrd Midwestern] is what you hear on your national news broadcasts. General American is also the accent generally taught to people learning English as a second language in the United States, as well as outside the country to anyone who wishes to learn "American English."
The region of the United States where the local accent most closely resembles General American
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American

 North Central American English (includes Minnesota, North Dakota and some of South Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa)
 Yooper dialect (the variety of North Central American English spoken in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and in some neighboring areas)
 North Midlands English (thin swath from Nebraska to Ohio)
 St. Louis-area English
 Wisconsin-Illinois dialect

Southern English

 Appalachian English
 Coastal Southeastern (Charleston, South Carolina, Savannah, Georgia area)
 Cajun English
 Harkers Island English (North Carolina)
 Southern Highland English
 South Midlands English (thin swath from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania)
 Tampanian English
 Texan
 Yat (New Orleans)

Western English

 California English
 Boontling
 Hawaiian English (Hawaiian Pidgin)
 Utah English
 Pacific Northwest English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English

·
Banned
579 Posts
Southern English

 Appalachian English
 Coastal Southeastern (Charleston, South Carolina, Savannah, Georgia area)
 Cajun English
 Harkers Island English (North Carolina)
 Southern Highland English
 South Midlands English (thin swath from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania)
 Tampanian English
 Texan
 Yat (New Orleans)

u forgot south florida: perhaps spanglish? LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those accent differents sounds interesting, maybe can you give an example of a sentence between texan and californian english and standard mideastern?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But I also mean if there are the typical prejeduces? People are known for ... You know, that spanish people are known for siesta, flamenco, bull fights, etc.
Don't exist prejeduces from each region? (I'm sure the word is bad written, please correct so)

·
Downtown San Jose
1,445 Posts
But I also mean if there are the typical prejeduces? People are known for ... You know, that spanish people are known for siesta, flamenco, bull fights, etc.
Don't exist prejeduces from each region? (I'm sure the word is bad written, please correct so)
I dont think the differences here are as pronounced as in Europe. In Europe, populations developed their own traditions in isolation from others while here in the US much of the country has grown in the age of the car and mass communication, making differences minimal. We also have a lot of internal immigration which prevents too extreme of differences.

That said, the country varies depending on the state. As people have said, you should compare every state to an EU member and the USA to the EU. Depending on where you go, there will be linguistic differences (accents and slang), different cuisine based on the immigrants which settled the area, architecture also based on who settled the area (English, Germans, Italians, French, Spanish, Nordics, etc.).

But as far as prejudices, I think not really. We joke that Southerners are lazy and West Coasters are all hippies and East Coasters think they're the best but they're not really true.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Regional foods would be a great area to explore here. I do not have the time right now but could comment on this later.

·
Premium Member
30,849 Posts
Northeastern dialects

 Baltimorese
 Boston English
 Northeast Pennsylvania English (Scranton, Pennsylvania-area)
 Hudson Valley English (Albany, New York-area)
 Maine-New Hampshire English
 Philadelphia-area English
 Pittsburgh English
 Providence-area English
 New York-New Jersey English
 Nuyorican English
 Vermont English
 Mid-Atlantic dialects
 Tidewater accent
 Virginia Piedmont
 Virginia Tidewater [1]
Hey...no accent here. :lol:

Some Nuyorican spoken here, although nowhere as strong as in NY.

·
Banned
523 Posts
I dont think the differences here are as pronounced as in Europe. In Europe, populations developed their own traditions in isolation from others while here in the US much of the country has grown in the age of the car and mass communication, making differences minimal. We also have a lot of internal immigration which prevents too extreme of differences.

That said, the country varies depending on the state. As people have said, you should compare every state to an EU member and the USA to the EU. Depending on where you go, there will be linguistic differences (accents and slang), different cuisine based on the immigrants which settled the area, architecture also based on who settled the area (English, Germans, Italians, French, Spanish, Nordics, etc.).

But as far as prejudices, I think not really. We joke that Southerners are lazy and West Coasters are all hippies and East Coasters think they're the best but they're not really true.
I have never once heard someone joke that "southerners are lazy". Where did you come up with that one?

Not only are there dialects, foods, and other cultural differences from state to state, but there are many differences within individual states. For instance, the culture and dialect of Western N.C. (mountains) is notably different from the Piedmont region of central N.C.; another is the Eastern N.C. region East of Raleigh, and the Coastal areas/Outer Banks have a similar dialect to New England. That is four distinct cultural areas in North Carolina alone.

·
Banned
194 Posts
I have never once heard someone joke that "southerners are lazy". Where did you come up with that one?
I think what he's actually referring to is work ethic. It's a common belief by Northerners (not necessarily the truth) that good work ethic is not a priority for Southerners.

Again, I stress that this isn't necessarily the truth, but what many Northerners believe.

·
Banned
523 Posts
Again, it's a stereotype I've never heard...and I've heard most of them, ignorant and untrue as they may be. I've been friends with many people from the Northeast and traveled throughout, but never have I heard such an offensive "common belief"...and I'm quite aware that it isn't necessarily the truth. I actually question whether it's as common as you say...

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Again, it's a stereotype I've never heard...and I've heard most of them, ignorant and untrue as they may be. I've been friends with many people from the Northeast and traveled throughout, but never have I heard such an offensive "common belief"...and I'm quite aware that it isn't necessarily the truth. I actually question whether it's as common as you say...
I'm not sure if it's something that is just assumed by Northerners but it is definitely something I've heard. My father worked at a publishing company in Decatur, GA in the 90s and he said that he was shocked with the lax work ethic of his co-workers...regularly showing up an hour late, calling in sick twice a month, taking two-hour lunches without regard...he felt like people weren't taking their jobs seriously. Although one good thing he also noticed about that job was that the stress level was almost non-existent, most likely attributed to the relaxed attitude.

If Southerners know anything, they certainly know how to relax!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts